The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canadian Armed Forces Thread

Gurn

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

Sounds like a  big increase... but  a lot smaller when put this way

Defense Minister Harjit Sajjan released a policy review Wednesday, outlining a 20-year military procurement strategy that reiterates plans to replace its existing fighter jets and renew its fleet of warships. Defense spending will increase to 1.4 percent of gross domestic product within eight years, Sajjan said. That’s up from 1.2 percent currently but still short of a North Atlantic Treaty Organization goal of 2 percent.

It's a start let's hope it continues to grow.

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

yah it was pretty frosty for a while between the Canadian and US govts over that one. I think we're headed for that kind of thing again unfortunately with the speech made yesterday by our Foreign Affairs minister about Trump taking the US out of a global leadership position. Trade war coming too I think. :huh: Total waste of all our time and resources. 

Actually it wasn't the media played it up more then it was. Considering Canada secretly had troops in that war the U.S was hardly mad.

Ottawa's JTF2 commandos part of Iraq hostages rescue: reports

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.587161

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Actually it wasn't the media played it up more then it was. Considering Canada secretly had troops in that war the U.S was hardly mad.

Ottawa's JTF2 commandos part of Iraq hostages rescue: reports

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.587161

I did an urban ops/building + room clearing course and our instructor was one of those guys that looked like a rogue militia out of the movies. Somebody asked him if JTF2 was in Iraq because he mentioned he was an Operator for JTF2 a few years prior, he paused, gave a blank stare and in the most deadpan manner said "No"

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

At least Canadiens are getting the fact that world is changing, and power balance is shifting.

Europeans on the other hand......well time will tell.

It has less to do with power balance than it does with the US saying, "start covering your own arses from now on."  Canada is also responding to Europe.  If the Europeans start to build up their military, Canada doesn't want to be left behind and fall further down in reputation and military power amongst and in comparison to its NATO allies.

If Trump gets impeached then removed from office or resigns in the next 9-12 months and Pence reverses course and brings the US back into the forefront of protecting the alliance, then there's a fair chance that the now fired up NATO nations fall back into old habits and continue to neglect their militaries.

On 6/7/2017 at 4:10 PM, Ryan Strome said:

It's a start let's hope it continues to grow.

Apparently Rebel Media did a more in-depth look into the "spending increase" and the results aren't good.  

Admin jobs and raises are included as part of the increase of the defense budget.  Meaning nothing actually changes.  

12 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Apparently Rebel Media did a more in-depth look into the "spending increase" and the results aren't good.  

Admin jobs and raises are included as part of the increase of the defense budget.  Meaning nothing actually changes.  

I don't mind raises to troops at all they deserve it but I do agree not a huge amount is changing. I would like to see 18-22 New warships and at least 120 fighter jets but I won't knock the plan as at least it is a step in the right direction. That being said they aren't the first government to make big promises. Harper, Martin, Mulroney all made huge promises and didn't deliver, Chretien slashed the forces big time.

I'm no Trudeau fan, you know that but I'm hoping he does the right thing and keeps his promise. They're raising the forces to 71,500 and 30,00 reserves, personally I wish the forces were raised to 150,000 to 200,000 troops and 70,000 to 90,000 reserves.

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

Lmao...rebel media.

Did you get asked for a handout for reading it?

On June 7, 2017 at 10:40 PM, SabreFan1 said:

It has less to do with power balance than it does with the US saying, "start covering your own arses from now on."  Canada is also responding to Europe.  If the Europeans start to build up their military, Canada doesn't want to be left behind and fall further down in reputation and military power amongst and in comparison to its NATO allies.

If Trump gets impeached then removed from office or resigns in the next 9-12 months and Pence reverses course and brings the US back into the forefront of protecting the alliance, then there's a fair chance that the now fired up NATO nations fall back into old habits and continue to neglect their militaries.

Other administrations have called on Euros to pay up, but have accomplished much.

Best message to send is start pulling troops out Germany, Italy, Great Britain etc.

I have a feeling that they would get that message, especially considering the state of their armed forces.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

Other administrations have called on Euros to pay up, but have accomplished much.

Best message to send is start pulling troops out Germany, Italy, Great Britain etc.

I have a feeling that they would get that message, especially considering the state of their armed forces.

Trump wants to keep the empire going, so I'd be surprised to see him recall large numbers of troops in Europe. 

He's just looking for the other NATO nations to start pulling their own weight.  It's one of the few things that I agree with Trump on.

48 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Trump wants to keep the empire going, so I'd be surprised to see him recall large numbers of troops in Europe. 

He's just looking for the other NATO nations to start pulling their own weight.  It's one of the few things that I agree with Trump on.

I agree that he won't probably do it, but even a threat of doing it would make them $&!# bricks!

They talk a big game in Europe but without the U.S. they would either speak German or Russian over there.

We have our own problems here, I rather see my taxes help my own country.

I gave up on Europe, when I left 20 plus years ago, plus I never forgot how ineffective they were during the Balkan wars.

16 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I agree that he won't probably do it, but even a threat of doing it would make them $&!# bricks!

They talk a big game in Europe but without the U.S. they would either speak German or Russian over there.

We have our own problems here, I rather see my taxes help my own country.

I gave up on Europe, when I left 20 plus years ago, plus I never forgot how ineffective they were during the Balkan wars.

Reading some of your posts I gather you are from Eastern Europe?

I totally agree Europe is totally dependant on the U.S. @SabreFan1 picks on Canada being dependant and as you know I don't agree with Canadian governments cutting money to our forces but Europe is far more costly to the U.S.

Canada is make huge investments(so they say) and Britain is in the process of completely slashing and cutting their forces. They will be cutting their forces to 85,000 troops.

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Reading some of your posts I gather you are from Eastern Europe?

I totally agree Europe is totally dependant on the U.S. @SabreFan1 picks on Canada being dependant and as you know I don't agree with Canadian governments cutting money to our forces but Europe is far more costly to the U.S.

Canada is make huge investments(so they say) and Britain is in the process of completely slashing and cutting their forces. They will be cutting their forces to 85,000 troops.

Yes, I grew up in former Yugoslavia, even in the 90's Europeans were "soft", especially during the war in Bosnia.

United Nations helped with humanitarian aid delivery, and that is if they were allowed to do so.

Routinely French, British, Italian peacekeepers were getting shot at and killed, very rarely they would respond.

Some of them were involved in smuggling, buying valuable things very cheaply and giving money and food to poor girls and exploiting them.

Europeans also supported the arms embargo, which mainly affected Muslims.

Dutch battalion of peacekeepers did nothing when Srebrenica fell in 1995.

They allowed thousands of people to be killed, they could have prevented it, they didn't even call in air strikes to help.

As long as Europeans are acting like this they will never be respected by Americans, Russians or Islamic countries.

• Upvote 1

Looks like Canada will be buying the f35. Forget what Trudeau and Sajjin said in the past.

The Canadian Press has learned that Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan met with the head of Lockheed Martin, the U.S. defence giant behind the F-35 stealth fighter, in Singapore earlier this month.

Liberals Quietly Pay Another $30M To Develop F-35 Jet They Pledge Not To Buy

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/16811230

Boeing creating a battle with bombardier has likely killed a super hornet purchase as Canada has cut off talks with Boeing in support of Bombardier. The f35 isn't great but it is superior to the super hornet. 

The only other option would be for Canada to buy a European jet which seems very unlikely.

15 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Looks like Canada will be buying the f35. Forget what Trudeau and Sajjin said in the past.

The Canadian Press has learned that Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan met with the head of Lockheed Martin, the U.S. defence giant behind the F-35 stealth fighter, in Singapore earlier this month.

Liberals Quietly Pay Another $30M To Develop F-35 Jet They Pledge Not To Buy

http://m.huffpost.com/ca/entry/16811230

Boeing creating a battle with bombardier has likely killed a super hornet purchase as Canada has cut off talks with Boeing in support of Bombardier. The f35 isn't great but it is superior to the super hornet. 

The only other option would be for Canada to buy a European jet which seems very unlikely.

Staying in the program has advantages, as partners can compete for billions of dollars worth of contracts associated with the building and maintaining F-35. They also get a discount when purchasing the plane.

That latter point wasn't considered much of a benefit when Canada paid its annual instalment last year, as the Liberals had promised during the 2015 election not to buy the stealth fighter.

The government instead went out of its way last July to highlight the potential benefits to Canada's aerospace industry when explaining why it had decided to stick with the program.

Those industrial benefits continue to accrue, Lamirande said, with Canadian companies having secured US$926 million in F-35-related contracts over the last 20 years — including US$114 million in the last year alone.

This is/was one of the reasons the initial payments were made and why they continue to be made.  Not entirely a huge issue because it is providing jobs and money to Canadians in the aerospace industry. 

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Staying in the program has advantages, as partners can compete for billions of dollars worth of contracts associated with the building and maintaining F-35. They also get a discount when purchasing the plane.

That latter point wasn't considered much of a benefit when Canada paid its annual instalment last year, as the Liberals had promised during the 2015 election not to buy the stealth fighter.

The government instead went out of its way last July to highlight the potential benefits to Canada's aerospace industry when explaining why it had decided to stick with the program.

Those industrial benefits continue to accrue, Lamirande said, with Canadian companies having secured US$926 million in F-35-related contracts over the last 20 years — including US$114 million in the last year alone.

This is/was one of the reasons the initial payments were made and why they continue to be made.  Not entirely a huge issue because it is providing jobs and money to Canadians in the aerospace industry. 

I understand that hip but considering Canada has cut off talks and is reviewing all military procurement with Boeing f35 seems like the obvious choice, especially considering the private meeting with Sajjin a couple weeks back.

Lockheed Martin said they're are eager and ready to supply Canada with interim jets. It's unlikely Canada would choose a different jet in 2019 as two different fleets adds a lot more costs. 

• 2 weeks later...

A hell of a shot': Sniper record latest example of deadly Canadian marksmanship

Joint Task Force 2 member hit ISIS militant at a distance of 3,540 metres, military confirms

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4174155

A Canadian special forces sniper just abolished a world record for the longest-ever successful shot on record. In Iraq, the sniper hit an ISIS militant from more than 2 miles away, with the bullet flying in the air under 10 seconds before hitting its target.

Screen_Shot_2017_06_23_at_2.44.17_PM.png

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Upvote 1

On 2017-6-10 at 6:40 PM, CBH1926 said:

Yes, I grew up in former Yugoslavia, even in the 90's Europeans were "soft", especially during the war in Bosnia.

United Nations helped with humanitarian aid delivery, and that is if they were allowed to do so.

Routinely French, British, Italian peacekeepers were getting shot at and killed, very rarely they would respond.

Some of them were involved in smuggling, buying valuable things very cheaply and giving money and food to poor girls and exploiting them.

Europeans also supported the arms embargo, which mainly affected Muslims.

Dutch battalion of peacekeepers did nothing when Srebrenica fell in 1995.

They allowed thousands of people to be killed, they could have prevented it, they didn't even call in air strikes to help.

As long as Europeans are acting like this they will never be respected by Americans, Russians or Islamic countries.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

A hell of a shot': Sniper record latest example of deadly Canadian marksmanship

Joint Task Force 2 member hit ISIS militant at a distance of 3,540 metres, military confirms

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4174155

A Canadian special forces sniper just abolished a world record for the longest-ever successful shot on record. In Iraq, the sniper hit an ISIS militant from more than 2 miles away, with the bullet flying in the air under 10 seconds before hitting its target.

Screen_Shot_2017_06_23_at_2.44.17_PM.png

So the guy who got shot had no idea he was in a gun battle? I'm not a fan of long distance warfare.