The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Petterson needs to put on like 40lbs. That kid's legs look like toothpicks with shinpads on.

40 lbs is pretty excessive. I suspect part of the reason he is so good is because of how gangly he is. 40lbs would greatly reduce his mobility. 

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Why do people insist on giving players rather demeaning nicknames?  First it's calling Tryamkin a tree or a dumb simple-minded "Groot", then it's all about Brock's hair, now Pettersson's long neck?  I'd expect those from mocking Flame or Oiler fans.  How about something actually positive in regards to their HOCKEY SKILL for a change?

8 hours ago, shayster007 said:

I actually agree. I hated Tryamkin being called Groot. If you wouldn't say something to a person's face I don't think it makes a suitable nickname. Im completely confident no one would walk up to Tryamkin, pull out a step ladder to look him in the eye and refer to him as Groot. Just a hunch.

For the record I have nothing wrong with Flow. I would say that to Brocks face then ask to run my fingers through it.

I agree.  It used to drive me crazy, and I even got into a few arguments with people on here, when they used to call Schneider "Ginger".

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Why do people insist on giving players rather demeaning nicknames?  First it's calling Tryamkin a tree or a dumb simple-minded "Groot", then it's all about Brock's hair, now Pettersson's long neck?  I'd expect those from mocking Flame or Oiler fans.  How about something actually positive in regards to their HOCKEY SKILL for a change?

I agree with this...yet...I'll admit to the slightest desire to refer to the kid as the "Magic Beanpole".

I also wonder if there will be calls for a parade down Robson when EP crosses the 170 pound threshold. 

Apart from the jaw-dropping talent, the kid is so damn likeable. 

Lastly....some draft lottery fortune would really put a capper on what seems could be a fairly imminent turnaround of our fortunes as Canuck fans. This season bring to mind the quote "It's always darkest before the dawn".

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, hammertime said:

40 lbs is pretty excessive. I suspect part of the reason he is so good is because of how gangly he is. 40lbs would greatly reduce his mobility. 

That is why he wasn't talked about being drafted 1st overall. He's gotta be barely 150lbs. He needs to put on a ton of weight and that is going to slow him down considerably.

48 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

That is why he wasn't talked about being drafted 1st overall. He's gotta be barely 150lbs. He needs to put on a ton of weight and that is going to slow him down considerably.

EP  has EP at 165.

EP has gaudreau at 157.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

EP  has EP at 165.

EP has gaudreau at 157.

If he can get to John klingberg size (6’2” 177 pounds) then he will be fine. It’s not the same NHL as 20 years ago. He might lose some net front battles with bigger Defensemen but I don’t expect him to be in those areas much anyways. He will mostly be controlling along the half wall like he did at WJC, similar to Sedins. 

Personally I think people over estimate how important weight is in regards to taking big hits. In the NHL it doesn’t matter if you 160 or 220, if you skate across the blue line with your head down, you’re gunna get flattened

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You're over exaggerating a little here. It's one thing to have him gain 10 pounds through maturity but 40 pounds is just reduculous.  

Why would he need to be 205 pounds when so many nhl players at 175 are having success in today's game?

If he gained 10 pounds that would put him at 6'2" 175. Hischier is 6'1" 175. 

Agreed....except that EP was 168 Lbs. at last count...so he only needs 7 Lbs. of muscle for me to call him a Lock...!

58 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

You're over exaggerating a little here. It's one thing to have him gain 10 pounds through maturity but 40 pounds is just reduculous.  

Why would he need to be 205 pounds when so many nhl players at 175 are having success in today's game?

If he gained 10 pounds that would put him at 6'2" 175. Hischier is 6'1" 175. 

Hischier will do absolutely nothing if NJ gets in the playoffs. Petterson will be useless in the playoffs unless he is at least 190lb

7 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

183 actually.

The Sedins were terrible in the playoffs. They are not playoff performers. 

.75ish points per game in the playoffs thats pretty decent ... who do you consider "playoff performers"?

Hell if you take off their first couple playoffs (when they were playing as 3rd liners) they are .80points per game. 

Edited by CanuckinEdm
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2