The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

49 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

You get a great goal scorer like Petey and everyone seems to want to put their stamp on him.  Start refining his game and focusing on things that maybe have taken away from "his" game...which was instinctual and something special.  Have they wrecked Petey by having a to do list for him when, really, what he just needs to do is score?  By focusing on other things he "should be" doing now he's not doing the one thing he was really good at.  It's mind boggling.

I get that he's doing "other" things...but we had a "little things" guy and we need a pure goal scorer.  We had that in Petey.  I'm really starting to feel these coaches are over coaching some of our guys and need to tap in to their natural abilities first and foremost.  

Who knows (I certainly don't).  Petey appears to really be struggling with the mental game right now and that's a huge hurdle to overcome.  But scoring a few highlight reel goals can bring that all back into focus.  

I wouldn’t classify Petey as a pure goal scorer. He absolutely has a overpowering shot but can also dangle with the puck and throw great passes. Maybe his bag of skills has worked against him a bit during this drought he is working thru. He hasn’t been scoring regularly and has obviously lost some confidence so he is passing more. He is looking better lately and is on his way back IMO.

I am more worried about BB. He is a sniper and is struggling more than EP40. He isn’t as versatile. Pure snipers have a tougher role as they are only as good as their gpg stat. To an extent I think BB has to reinvent his game. I am not sure if it will be with the Canucks. Not sure why I am saying that? 

2 hours ago, -DLC- said:

You get a great goal scorer like Petey and everyone seems to want to put their stamp on him.  Start refining his game and focusing on things that maybe have taken away from "his" game...which was instinctual and something special.  Have they wrecked Petey by having a to do list for him when, really, what he just needs to do is score?  By focusing on other things he "should be" doing now he's not doing the one thing he was really good at.  It's mind boggling.

I get that he's doing "other" things...but we had a "little things" guy and we need a pure goal scorer.  We had that in Petey.  I'm really starting to feel these coaches are over coaching some of our guys and need to tap in to their natural abilities first and foremost.  

Who knows (I certainly don't).  Petey appears to really be struggling with the mental game right now and that's a huge hurdle to overcome.  But scoring a few highlight reel goals can bring that all back into focus.  

You need to fire the coach

• Vintage 1

23 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I wouldn’t classify Petey as a pure goal scorer. He absolutely has a overpowering shot but can also dangle with the puck and throw great passes. Maybe his bag of skills has worked against him a bit during this drought he is working thru. He hasn’t been scoring regularly and has obviously lost some confidence so he is passing more. He is looking better lately and is on his way back IMO.

I am more worried about BB. He is a sniper and is struggling more than EP40. He isn’t as versatile. Pure snipers have a tougher role as they are only as good as their gpg stat. To an extent I think BB has to reinvent his game. I am not sure if it will be with the Canucks. Not sure why I am saying that? 

True enough.  Points getter...between he and Brock, they have to put points up and it concerns me that both have fallen off so dramatically.  That, for me, points to something bigger than just them in a slump (coaching).   They seem a little confused (checked out) by what is being asked of them.   It's time to try something new and get voices in their ears that can help them.  I mean, these are proven good players who have all of a sudden completely fallen off the scoring sheets.

1 hour ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Our fanbase just loves pumping the tires of players we do not have. Judging by some ppl's sentiments here, they'd trade 2 Pettersons for Pastrnak. Well...

petey1_by_backspin321_dev47pm-fullview.j

That's great and all, but that's in the past. Petey was incredible in Sweden, but right now, he's performing as a 2nd line foward. Pastrnak, by comparison is at a point per game.

Cheering for Petey to turn it around and I'm still convinced that eventually he does, even if it's not until next year.

28 minutes ago, filthycanuck said:

Petey was never the same ever since Josh Leivo replaced Goldobin. If you guys recall EP40's first 25-35 or so games he was lighting the league on fire with Boeser and Goldy. His production never came close to that since

He was actually at a very similar level in his sophomore season. Petey had 35 points in his first 30 career games in 2018-19, but in 2019-20, he had 33 points in 30 games for the first 30 games of the season. Additionally, I would say that getting 18 points in 17 playoff games is most impressive of all, done in the 2020 playoffs.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Canuck Luck said:

Sounds like aqua is gonna let JB try to trade someone.

I would be ok with trading this kid if another GM still has first year Petey in their minds. Could get quite a lot back. He has regressed in a very concerning manner.

I was thinking the same thing . It is a risk but one that has to be calculated.  The rest of the league see a top line center who is struggling . I see a very slight guy with a lot of skill but no strength.  The league goes right after him now and he has no recourse. He is not the fastest guy and has not got stronger.  So what now?  What can he do to get around what the league is doing to him. 

I worry that  we will be watching this guy pick himself up off this ice for the duration of his contract. 

Go after high picks and move on.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, -AJ- said:

That's great and all, but that's in the past. Petey was incredible in Sweden, but right now, he's performing as a 2nd line foward. Pastrnak, by comparison is at a point per game.

Cheering for Petey to turn it around and I'm still convinced that eventually he does, even if it's not until next year.

I haven't looked but i doubt Pasternak is above having bad shifts , bad games or cold streaks. 

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

I was thinking the same thing . It is a risk but one that has to be calculated.  The rest of the league see a top line center who is struggling . I see a very slight guy with a lot of skill but no strength.  The league goes right after him now and he has no recourse. He is not the fastest guy and has not got stronger.  So what now?  What can he do to get around what the league is doing to him. 

I worry that  we will be watching this guy pick himself up off this ice for the duration of his contract. 

Go after high picks and move on.

We really should make a list of posters who want to trade Petterson. 

Anyway Petterson is just entering the age where he can put on strength. Just as a player like Ryan Kesler did. 

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

I haven't looked but i doubt Pasternak is above having bad shifts , bad games or cold streaks. 

I agree, though it's hard to argue that he and Petey have played at the same level so far this year. I'm all for optimism, so long as it stays in the realm of realism.

5 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Bad games and cold streaks don’t mean you fall down every shift and look like a beer leaguer. He’s looked better lately but let’s be realistic… he’s nowhere close to Pasternak. 

• Upvote 1

Conspiracy thinking here, but I think Pettersson is purposely playing like this because he wants Green out of there. Same with Boeser. 

Petey made the comments when he re-signed that he wants to play on a winning team, and asked if he'll re-sign again in 3 years he said "we'll see". I think this is all based on the current coaching in VAN. Petey is not a fan of this. He tries just enough to be in on plays, but this isn't the alien we've all come to know. 

Bold prediction - If Green is fired, watching Petey and Boeser take off  

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Bolder prediction, if Green is fired and suddenly E.P. and Boeser start playing better, one or both get traded by the incoming gm.

Playing to get someone fired is unacceptable, wouldn't want that type of "character" on my team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Conspiracy thinking here, but I think Pettersson is purposely playing like this because he wants Green out of there. Same with Boeser. 

Petey made the comments when he re-signed that he wants to play on a winning team, and asked if he'll re-sign again in 3 years he said "we'll see". I think this is all based on the current coaching in VAN. Petey is not a fan of this. He tries just enough to be in on plays, but this isn't the alien we've all come to know. 

I kind of really doubt they would intentionally play in such a way, though maybe unintentionally. They're so dedicated to working hard and winning, I can't see them intentionally giving a mediocre effort.

I can, however, see them giving a mediocre effort as a result of a lack of trust in or inspiration from Green and I think this is much more likely. Not intentional sabotage, but a sort of subconscious effect of playing for a coach they don't jive with that well anymore. Might not even just be Green, but another coach in the system.