The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I don't think he's ready personally. Absolutely stellar future ahead of him, but not there yet.

He also doesn't need to be thrown in to a lineup struggling to get it's footing. They need stability before they start randomly swapping in/out peripheral pieces. Which would put him in a position that does him no favours either.

IMO it should simply be Moose.

I doubt very much he goes in yet but they obviously must see something in his game that they believe they can improve on, esp. on the defensive side. I think his offensive instincts are already there, he just needs the defensive awareness and positioning that is required for a much faster pace of game at the NHL level vs college hockey.

In the end; it really does not matter what we think. Let's just hope that they have a valid reason for keeping him on the Taxi squad.

• Cheers 2

Its been almost a full year of Rathbone not playing any hockey. if they have no intention to put him in the lineup send him to Manitoba or Utica and call back up Sautner to be the extra body. He isn't going to learn a whole lot practicing and watching for the pressbox, he needs reps especially at his age.

He, DiPietro, and Michaelis have all been out of hockey for too long. For their long term development do right by them and send them to the AHL to get in reps. Bring up Graovac and Sautner and find a goalie from a team that doesn't want another guy so Mikey, Jack, and Marc can play.

On 2/15/2021 at 6:06 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Its been almost a full year of Rathbone not playing any hockey. if they have no intention to put him in the lineup send him to Manitoba or Utica and call back up Sautner to be the extra body. He isn't going to learn a whole lot practicing and watching for the pressbox, he needs reps especially at his age.

He, DiPietro, and Michaelis have all been out of hockey for too long. For their long term development do right by them and send them to the AHL to get in reps. Bring up Graovac and Sautner and find a goalie from a team that doesn't want another guy so Mikey, Jack, and Marc can play.

Heading to Utica to finally play some games.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

It will be interesting to see how he does in Utica and whether he remains there for the rest of the season or not. He is going to be a dandy of a D man IMO.

The fact that he is heading to Utica and not Manitoba makes it sound long term.  Unless things have changed he would require a 14 day quarantine to be called up from Utica.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Is 14 days the New York regs? 

Anyone coming into NY State has to quarantine for 10 days or they can get an exemption with two negative COVID tests.  The first test has to be done within 3 days before arriving in NY and then a second test 4 days after arriving.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Is 14 days the New York regs? 

I believe players have to quarantine for 14 days if coming from the States, but just 7 days if coming from Manitoba. No idea why, but I did hear something about that.

14 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Anyone coming into NY State has to quarantine for 10 days or they can get an exemption with two negative COVID tests.  The first test has to be done within 3 days before arriving in NY and then a second test 4 days after arriving.

I am glad Rathbone is heading to Utica. He needs playing time. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I believe players have to quarantine for 14 days if coming from the States, but just 7 days if coming from Manitoba. No idea why, but I did hear something about that.

Correct.

Quarantine Regulations & Missed Games

As I mentioned above, players have to quarantine for seven days after they join a new team. Due to the NHL’s compressed schedules, that means missing three or four games, depending on the acquiring team.

It could be longer, too. If a Canadian team acquires a player from an American franchise, said player would need to quarantine for 14 days after arriving in Canada. This was the case for Pierre-Luc Dubois after the Columbus Blue Jackets shipped him to the Winnipeg Jets for Patrik Laine and Jack Roslovic.

https://thehockeywriters.com/trade-deadline-covid-impact/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Correct.

Quarantine Regulations & Missed Games

As I mentioned above, players have to quarantine for seven days after they join a new team. Due to the NHL’s compressed schedules, that means missing three or four games, depending on the acquiring team.

It could be longer, too. If a Canadian team acquires a player from an American franchise, said player would need to quarantine for 14 days after arriving in Canada. This was the case for Pierre-Luc Dubois after the Columbus Blue Jackets shipped him to the Winnipeg Jets for Patrik Laine and Jack Roslovic.

https://thehockeywriters.com/trade-deadline-covid-impact/

I grasp what happens to players coming from the USA to Canada but is that rules of players going from Canada to the USA ?

42 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I grasp what happens to players coming from the USA to Canada but is that rules of players going from Canada to the USA ?

I believe it differs from state-to-state.

Edit.  I just Googled travel restrictions in Missouri because the Blues just recalled Nathan Walker up from the Comets to the taxi squad.  That state has no quarantine requirements at all. International travelers into Missouri just need one negative COVID test within 72 hours.  It's crazy how things vary so much down here.

Edited by UticaHockey
  • Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I believe it differs from state-to-state.

Edit.  I just Googled travel restrictions in Missouri because the Blues just recalled Nathan Walker up from the Comets to the taxi squad.  That state has no quarantine requirements at all. International travelers into Missouri just need one negative COVID test within 72 hours.  It's crazy how things vary so much down here.

Yeah, in a Hockey News article they quoted Jim Rutherford saying "In an interview with The Athletic earlier this month, Penguins GM Jim Rutherford, arguably the league’s most consistently daring trader, predicted a quiet year for in-season moves as a result of COVID-19 complications – and that would even include trades that happen between American teams, given the fact the league has teams in 17 different states, each with their own sets of COVID-19 protocols.

In Columbus, Laine had to go through this protocol.

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

"I think he's arriving as we speak right around this time in Columbus," Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said Friday about when he expects Patrik Laine to arrive. "And then he's going to go through two negative tests and 48 hours quarantine, and then joining our team on Monday."

21 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The entire point as I understand for having an agreement with St L/Winnpeg was to avoid quarantine for call ups, hence Sautner coming up. It now leaves Rathbone in a quaratine situation in Utica ? doesn't make sense

The Comets don't play again until next Friday.  If he has two negative tests he will be available to play.

Great first shift for Rathbone. Utica has a clean breakout from the D zone, 20 seconds in Rathbone carries the puck out of the zone, and his uses his speed to drive wide on Rochester's defense and creates a scoring chance. He dropped his shoulder into the dman and protected the puck, almost looked like a powerforward on that sequence.

Skating, edge work, and puck protection all on display in his opening shift.

• Cheers 1