The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jack Rathbone | #3 | D

17 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I’m a huge fan of Rathbone, but I actually think he is only a Left side Dman. But in time it may change.

heres a Future Canuck Lefty that does play the right side.

Shouldn't this go into Tryamkin thread?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Bumping Jack’s thread for no reason, other than I kinda feel like it. :lol:

Plus, the Rathbone thread should never go 11 days between posts. He’s too good for us to forget about him and not be talking more about him. Outside of Pod and Hogz, Jack is arguably our best prospect. And one that has a real chance of cracking the roster this coming season.

I don’t really have any news to report. Just felt like bumping the thread and seeing what happens. 

But here’s a cute, old photo of a young Jack Rathbone and his childhood friend Aidan McDonough:

4A186BC8-1835-4D84-B73E-837514B57396.jpeg.5b8f04d2b73ff2b8075bf1a715d3da8b.jpeg

(So you cant say I bumped this thread without adding some content. ;) )

Hopefully these two youngsters get the chance to play together on the Canucks sometime in the next couple years (and for many years after).

I agree with JR being our number 3 (Mikey Dipietro deserves honourable mention). I am also optimistic about his game translating real well and real quick to pro hockey. Such a wealth of young players poised to jump into roster spots over the next 2 years. 

• Cheers 2

14 hours ago, reyezone said:

I agree with JR being our number 3 (Mikey Dipietro deserves honourable mention). I am also optimistic about his game translating real well and real quick to pro hockey. Such a wealth of young players poised to jump into roster spots over the next 2 years. 

I put Rathbone and Rafferty at about the same level - Rathbone maybe a bit better defensively and better shot, Rafferty brings more size and professional experience. Both are great skaters and passers.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2020 at 9:31 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Also, here’s a recent write up from Canucks Army:

https://canucksarmy.com/2020/11/18/jack-rathbone-going-wild-card-training-camp/

This section details an element to Jack’s game that tends not to get much discussion:

Having watched Rathbone quite a bit over the years, I can certainly attest to this. He’s a much more physical player than he’s generally given credit, and he’s extremely solidly built and very strong for his size.

Every once in a while, you see Rathbone described as undersized, lacking physicality, and being a purely offensive D, but I suspect the people who believe this are ones who’ve never actually seen Jack play a game.

Would you say his game and upside is an LHD version of former teammate Adam Fox?

I'm terrible at comparisons but that's who he kind of reminds me of?  I think Fox surprised people with his defensive play and Rathbone will as well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m a huge fan of Rathbone, but, at least right now, I don’t put his upside quite at the level of Adam Fox. 

Fox is just a more gifted playmaker. He shows the type of wizardry in the offensive zone that makes you say “how did he do that” and “how did he see that.” Just has a higher hockey IQ, better vision, and more creativity, than Rathbone.

And that’s not really taking anything away from Jack. He’s highly gifted. Just not at Fox’s level, as a playmaker.

I’ll put it this way: I was not surprised at all to see Fox break 40 points as a rookie defenceman. But I would be surprised to see Rathbone match those numbers. And even if Hughes wasn’t in Vancouver.

Rathbone is more likely a 30-40 point defenceman, and maybe a high end #3, if he reaches his potential.

(Of course, he may blow right past my projections, but that’s just where I see him.)

On the other hand, age-for-age, I’m more impressed by Rathbone’s defensive game than I was by Fox’s. I think Rathbone has the better base, as a defensive player, and with the right focus and determination, he might further hone his defensive play to a level that greatly surpasses what Fox brings, away from the puck. Rathbone is also a significantly more physical and aggressive defender, and uses his body better, than Fox.

As far as his shot, Fox himself admits that Rathbone has a better shot than he does. 

And I'd say that Rathbone is more of a pure skater than Fox, just in terms of his overall smoothness, and the sweetness of his skating mechanics.

What separates them the most is that hockey brain, which puts Fox in the elite class, and Rathbone more in the gifted and very good class, but not elite.

Thankfully for us, with Hughes already here, we don't really need him to be a 40+ point 'Fox' type player. I'll happily take 80% of the offense with better D and board play/battle.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy Jeremy Davis

Since 2010, only 10 U21 defencemen have scored at a point-per-game rate. Six of these defencemen have gone on to not only play significant minutes in the NHL but they are top-four contributors with young players like Zach Werenski, Adam Fox, Cale Makar, and Quinn Hughes even displaying top-pairing potential. David Farrance is in the same boat as Rathbone as he was also in his age 20 season this year. Jake Walman played his one and only NHL game this year and Danny Biega is the only player on this list without an NHL game.

Historically, his point production is even more impressive.

PLAYER P/G AGE
ADAM FOX 1.45 20
DAVID FARRANCE 1.26 20
CALE MAKAR 1.20 19
JUSTIN SCHULTZ 1.15 20
ADAM FOX 1.14 19
JACK RATHBONE 1.11 20
JAKE WALMAN 1.04 20
QUINN HUGHES 1.03 19
DANNY BIEGA 1.03 20
JAKE GARDINER 1.00 20
ZACH WERENSKI 1.00 18

Well, I have been wondering about how we might arrange our Defense............

Quinn Hughes has said that he can play both sides, as well as Schmidt

So, I am wondering if this won't be looked at early in camp

Edler - Hughes

Rathbone/Juolevi - Schmidt

Juolevi/Rathbone - Myers

Benn - Chatfield/Rafferty

I will argue my case that Rathbone is ahead of Juolevi, as although the AHL is ahead of the NCAA

I would argue that Rathbone dominated his pier group more than Juolevi did his

and when you compare Rathbones season to the above top 10, he has shown well

On top of that, he also played with Fox and Marino, having far more rounded games than either

I addition, 2 years ago when Fox was out with an injury, Rathbone scored very similar to Fox

when age was factored in....................

You could say, I am very high on Rathbone.............my fingers are crossed!

• Like 1

On 12/8/2020 at 11:50 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

awesome news. I think he's going to surprise people. 

Given the hype and expectations on CDC the only ones with the potential to be surprised are casual fans. Lotta hype for this guy. Seen it with Gaudette too. Kesler 2.0. I am excited to see Rathbone play. Just hope people don't jump on him for not being a big piece for the team early. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 2