The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

2 hours ago, JamesBlondage said:

Thanks for posting this Sid

Hopefully I’ll be posting a lot of these clips this season. :) Expecting a big year from Brassard. He’s certainly picked up right where he left off. That release of his is looking even more dangerous than last year. Can’t imagine he’s actually been able to work that much on his shot, given he’s just coming off surgery and rehab, but these first two goals have been absolute snipes. Really nice to see him come back and immediately have this kind of an impact. He definitely has a knack for finding the puck and time/space in some very dangerous locations.

24 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully I’ll be posting a lot of these clips this season. :) Expecting a big year from Brassard. He’s certainly picked up right where he left off. That release of his is looking even more dangerous than last year. Can’t imagine he’s actually been able to work that much on his shot, given he’s just coming off surgery and rehab, but these first two goals have been absolute snipes. Really nice to see him come back and immediately have this kind of an impact. He definitely has a knack for finding the puck and time/space in some very dangerous locations.

Nice to see so many prospects with sniping ability! Looking forward to more clips of Brassard scoring gorgeous goals...

23 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Nice to see so many prospects with sniping ability! Looking forward to more clips of Brassard scoring gorgeous goals...

Brassard had some absolute beauties last season. It’s one of the things I really like about this kid. He scores really nice goals. Skill goals. Snipes, tic-tac-toes, sick moves on penalty shots/shootouts. He scored 16 last season, and only maybe a handful were of the “blast from the point” or “seeing eye long wrister through traffic” variety (aka your typical Dman goals). Seemed like the majority of the goals he scored last season were true highlight reel types. So hopefully, with these first couple of beauties, he’s just getting started on what he’s going to show us this season.

Also, what a different team the Gens have been since they got Brassard back. Just looking at the numbers. First three games, they went 1-2 with 11 GF and 12 GA. Last two, with him back in the lineup, 2-0 with 14 GF and 6 GA.

In those two GP, Brassard’s been on-ice for half the team’s goals-for and zero of their goals-against.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brassard had some absolute beauties last season. It’s one of the things I really like about this kid. He scores really nice goals. Skill goals. Snipes, tic-tac-toes, sick moves on penalty shots/shootouts. He scored 16 last season, and only maybe a handful were of the “blast from the point” or “seeing eye long wrister through traffic” variety (aka your typical Dman goals). Seemed like the majority of the goals he scored last season were true highlight reel types. So hopefully, with these first couple of beauties, he’s just getting started on what he’s going to show us this season.

Also, what a different team the Gens have been since they got Brassard back. Just looking at the numbers. First three games, they went 1-2 with 11 GF and 12 GA. Last two, with him back in the lineup, 2-0 with 14 GF and 6 GA.

In those two GP, Brassard’s been on-ice for half the team’s goals-for and zero of their goals-against.

This Btassard guy is ne er going to play for us.  Why do we talk about him?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Brassard is a righty, didn't realize that. I have a love for righties. 6'3 200 pounds. Very interesting prospect from just those points alone. How good is he, does anyone really know? 7th round pick, everything about this guy screams likable to me. Love me some underdog stories. 

The bolded part is always the question. And unfortunately, nobody ever really knows. Had Brassard not gotten injured at the end of last season (with a recovery that was initially projected to keep him out until this December) he’d likely have been signed to an ELC and be playing in Utica right now. That would have given us a much better idea of where he’s at, since a healthy and signed Brassard would have gone through the Canucks and Comets camps, and ended up testing himself against pro level competition. Instead, he’s back in the OHL this year as an overager.

But people I consider “in the know” like Brock Otten (OHL Prospects) have picked Brassard as a candidate for the Max Kaminski Trophy (OHL top D), Leo Lalonde Trophy (top overager), an OHL All Star selection, a point per game season or better, and the Generals as OHL East leaders, and potential OHL championship and Memorial Cup winners. If all that were to come to pass, I think Canucks fans will likely start getting pretty excited about this player.

Of course, winning junior level hardware doesn’t mean a player is going to pan out as an NHLer. But it does tend to get them some attention, which generally leads to a shot at the pros, and getting a legitimate look. I think just off last year, Brassard did enough to earn an ELC and a spot in Utica’s system. If he improves significantly this season, I think he’s all but guaranteed a contract. It will be up to him what he makes of his chance. Ideally, he has a massive year as an OHL overager, puts in a tonne of work on his skating (his main knock) during the off-season, and comes to next year’s camp as a truly buzzworthy  NHL RHD prospect. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Really did you pee the bed again or have a bad dream are you willing to bet the farm on it . He thinks the game, right handed can score , has an offensive IQ . 6-3 man whats not to like . Skating can be taught  and improved on .

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The bolded part is always the question. And unfortunately, nobody ever really knows. Had Brassard not gotten injured at the end of last season (with a recovery that was initially projected to keep him out until this December) he’d likely have been signed to an ELC and be playing in Utica right now. That would have given us a much better idea of where he’s at, since a healthy and signed Brassard would have gone through the Canucks and Comets camps, and ended up testing himself against pro level competition. Instead, he’s back in the OHL this year as an overager.

But people I consider “in the know” like Brock Otten (OHL Prospects) have picked Brassard as a candidate for the Max Kaminski Trophy (OHL top D), Leo Lalonde Trophy (top overager), an OHL All Star selection, a point per game season or better, and the Generals as OHL East leaders, and potential OHL championship and Memorial Cup winners. If all that were to come to pass, I think Canucks fans will likely start getting pretty excited about this player.

Of course, winning junior level hardware doesn’t mean a player is going to pan out as an NHLer. But it does tend to get them some attention, which generally leads to a shot at the pros, and getting a legitimate look. I think just off last year, Brassard did enough to earn an ELC and a spot in Utica’s system. If he improves significantly this season, I think he’s all but guaranteed a contract. It will be up to him what he makes of his chance. Ideally, he has a massive year as an OHL overager, puts in a tonne of work on his skating (his main knock) during the off-season, and comes to next year’s camp as a truly buzzworthy  NHL RHD prospect. 

Here’s hoping for a really, really good year. He’s truly a man among boys it seems. Shame he’s not in Utica this year. Chatfield was in a similar boat if I recall though. Thanks for the information. 

Brassard and the Gens are in tough on the road in Owen Sound. Down 3-0 early and at one point the shots were something like 17-3 for Owen Sound. Could've been worse though, as the Gens had to kill three penalties, including a lengthy 5-3, but their PK came up big. Hopefully Brassard can get something going in the second period and start the comeback.

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brassard held off the scoresheet tonight as Oshawa falls 4-2 to Owen Sound. He led all Generals skaters with 5 SOG. He'll remain at 3 points (2G 1A) in his 3 GP so far this season.

Obviously this isn't the only attribute that matters, but what would you say would be a good PPG total for Brassard this year? 

Edited by RetroCanuck

2 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Obviously this isn't the only attribute that matters, but what would you say would be a good PPG total for Brassard this year? 

I'd say about a point per game pace is pretty much the line he needs to stay over for this season, for it to be really considered a success.

Something like 25 goals and 50 assists in 65 GP would be a good result.

• Upvote 1

On 10/6/2018 at 12:30 AM, Alflives said:

But Alf is never going to be on tv again and you still talk about him

.......But wait.....he is, so there is always hope.

I’m sorry if this has already been asked and answered but, what’s the deal with this prospect. Looks like a steal of a pick yet we haven’t found room to sign him to an ELC. I understand we are close to the 50 contract limit but you’d think that with the position of weakness in our organization that we would’ve given this kid a contract yet. Just curious because it would be great to see him at the youngstars games and a few preseason games to see what he is made of.