The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

Brassard with yet another goal tonight (and he also pumped 8 shots on goal).

Not bad for a kid who took 25 games (and 82 shots on goal) to finally break the goose egg and tally his first goal this season.

They’ve come a lot quicker since.

Now up to 30 points (11G 19A) in 45 OHL games.

Good for 11th place in scoring among OHL defensemen.

Also tied for 3rd among all OHL Ds for shots on goal (148).

And his 11 goals has him tied for 6th among defensemen.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

On 21/01/2018 at 8:09 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brassard with yet another goal tonight (and he also pumped 8 shots on goal).

Not bad for a kid who took 25 games (and 82 shots on goal) to finally break the goose egg and tally his first goal this season.

They’ve come a lot quicker since.

Now up to 30 points (11G 19A) in 45 OHL games.

Good for 11th place in scoring among OHL defensemen.

Also tied for 3rd among all OHL Ds for shots on goal (148).

And his 11 goals has him tied for 6th among defensemen.

Hmmm. Pretty good numbers. Nice to see prospects trending up.

I suspect he'll get a contract unless he has an epic collapse next year which, judging from the stats, seems far fetched.

Seems like a better defensive prospect then Mackenze Stewart and Anton Cederholm already despite those two playing a different style than Brassard.

I wonder if Brassard's continued success will ultimately hurt Cole Candella's chances at getting a deal with the Canucks....

5 hours ago, Quantum said:

I suspect he'll get a contract unless he has an epic collapse next year which, judging from the stats, seems far fetched.

Seems like a better defensive prospect then Mackenze Stewart and Anton Cederholm already despite those two playing a different style than Brassard.

I wonder if Brassard's continued success will ultimately hurt Cole Candella's chances at getting a deal with the Canucks....

I think that JB might be a bit gun shy when signing border line NHLers to ELCs. One of his first signings, MacKenze Stewart, is still here almost 3 years later. Most ELCs last 3 years ( not all ) and there have been a small number of debatable choices. Keeping the roster size well below 50 can be important. I see JB trying to talk players like Brassard into taking AHL contracts. This would not work if other teams liked the player enough to offer an NHL contract, but might help keep border line players in our system.

5 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

I think that JB might be a bit gun shy when signing border line NHLers to ELCs. One of his first signings, MacKenze Stewart, is still here almost 3 years later. Most ELCs last 3 years ( not all ) and there have been a small number of debatable choices. Keeping the roster size well below 50 can be important. I see JB trying to talk players like Brassard into taking AHL contracts. This would not work if other teams liked the player enough to offer an NHL contract, but might help keep border line players in our system.

3 years ago we needed organizational depth (yes even ECHL) players as we had none. You need guys to recall to Utica when we recall Comets up here. So you sign a few long shots for depth and if one of them works out, great.

As prospects start arriving from Europe, Junior and college from the last few drafts, those kinds of contracts become less necessary as you have depth starting to back fill.

• Upvote 3

I say we need to try and give some of these D a chance. We are not stacked in D prospects. Literally the only 1 who is a guarantee NHL player is Juolevi and he was a 5th overall pick.

All the other guys, should dog fight it out. See who makes the biggest change and sacrifices from junior to the A. A guy can underwhelm somewhat in Junior but can mature and has the drive to make it to the next level. We have contract spots, so we should be giving most of these guys a chance to see what they got outside of junior hockey

5 minutes ago, Yotes said:

I say we need to try and give some of these D a chance. We are not stacked in D prospects. Literally the only 1 who is a guarantee NHL player is Juolevi and he was a 5th overall pick.

All the other guys, should dog fight it out. See who makes the biggest change and sacrifices from junior to the A. A guy can underwhelm somewhat in Junior but can mature and has the drive to make it to the next level. We have contract spots, so we should be giving most of these guys a chance to see what they got outside of junior hockey

So all you are saying is give D a chance?

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1