The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you working towards?

Mainly Mattias

17 hours ago, Mainly Mattias said:

What is your short/medium term goal right now?

.. a degree in psychology?

.. your own startup coffeeshop?

.. not having a cigarette for the next month?

.. losing 10 pounds?

I want to pass a 6 hour exam by the end of the year. Also choose a medium/long term education path to take..

Hmmm short and medium term goals are probably continue finishing renoing my home to try and get as much done as possible before my child is born in the fall.  Would like to lose weight also but renos take priority right now.

Short term:

-Finish off the seemingly endless hurdles towards my professional designation (it's looking like the biggest hurdle could come my way in December, with the final hurdle in/around February 2018)

-Spend more time with my son and better embrace the role of "dad" (this is more an ongoing goal than a short term goal)

Long term:

-Pay off my mortgage 5+ years early... 10 yrs early could be doable with a bit more focus

-Balance work & family, and focus my priorities better... and in saying that I bid you adieu and head for some much needed sleep.

Short/medium term goals?

- Staying as calm as possible while I wait for another MRI.

- Replying to emails I've left hanging for weeks. (and by weeks I mean months)

- Fingerpainting as an adult, I should just go out in the studio and do it, so squishy, so yummy.

- Somehow revive CDC's photography thread (that thread was fantastic once upon a time)

16 hours ago, canuktravella said:

minimism is great other than my bed and dresser i could fit everything i own into my suv  basically my hockey equipment, art supplies, 3 big rubbermaids of clothes  some camping gear  and my photography gear  and a bit of art   i love that i can move easily  if need be  its freedom  one day il own a house hopefully  definately wont fill it up with junk 

The problem starts when you inherit your parent's things. Nostalgia prevents you from getting rid of stuff. I even have old jars of random assorted screws and washers from my father that make me want to break down and weep if I think of getting rid of them ...

38 minutes ago, Svengali said:

Short/medium term goals?

- Fingerpainting as an adult, I should just go out in the studio and do it, so squishy, so yummy.

- Somehow revive CDC's photography thread (that thread was fantastic once upon a time)

The problem starts when you inherit your parent's things. Nostalgia prevents you from getting rid of stuff. I even have old jars of random assorted screws and washers from my father that make me want to break down and weep if I think of getting rid of them ...

ya  when my mom dies il maybe keep like 5 percent of the stuff my sisters will grab most of the stuff il just keep  a painting the old photos and negatives and a persian coffee table. just start a photography  topic then

IMG_5074.JPG

IMG_5129.JPG

IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_5252.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

43 minutes ago, Svengali said:

Short/medium term goals?

i just try not to be materialistic and if i dont use something i dont need it

32 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

i just try not to be materialistic and if i dont use something i dont need it

Yeah I understand, it's a good frame of mind.

I've liked your travel photos in the past by the way. The stuff from Indonesia and Nepal(?) I think it was.

(creating a new photography thread myself seems like a scary prospect to me, I'd rather someone else did it, haha)

5 hours ago, Svengali said:

I've liked your travel photos in the past by the way. The stuff from Indonesia and Nepal(?) I think it was.

(creating a new photography thread myself seems like a scary prospect to me, I'd rather someone else did it, haha)

I've been wondering why theres no photography thread. Would love to see it happen you should definetly make one! You have more posts than me so it's your responsibility.

9 hours ago, Svengali said:

thanks it was nepal and laos vietnam  lol fair nuff

5 hours ago, Penskih said:

I've been wondering why theres no photography thread. Would love to see it happen you should definetly make one! You have more posts than me so it's your responsibility.

Haha, the low-post-count stigma is indeed why I was hesitant to make a new one. You sir, are a rascal.

canuktravella has just made the new thread. (I love it when a plan comes together.)

21 minutes ago, Svengali said:

Haha, the low-post-count stigma is indeed why I was hesitant to make a new one. You sir, are a rascal.

canuktravella has just made the new thread. (I love it when a plan comes together.)

Haha awesome leave it to a cdc veteran :)

Short term would be finish off my apprenticeship.go to Europe for a month.

Mid would be open up a shop and get into cnc machining and 3d printing.which almost has nothing to do with my apprenticeship.

10 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

Get my back sorted out. Been living with bad lower back pain for a couple years, and it has really stopped me from doing a lot of the things I love to do. Had MRI last week, waiting to here results.

Good luck with that.  I hope you're active life improves.

On 2017-7-12 at 11:44 AM, Vanisleryan said:

Get my back sorted out. Been living with bad lower back pain for a couple years, and it has really stopped me from doing a lot of the things I love to do. Had MRI last week, waiting to here results.

Back pain is forever. I have it myself. All I can do is stretch and manage it and hope for no further injury. Find a good physiotherapist, take it seriously, and you could see good improvement Best of luck to you.

Learn to stretch. I'm not joking.

58 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Back pain is forever. I have it myself. All I can do is stretch and manage it and hope for no further injury. Find a good physiotherapist, take it seriously, and you could see good improvement Best of luck to you.

Learn to stretch. I'm not joking.

Stop stretching....start foam rolling and a mild total body weight lifting regime (machines at first).  I had severe back issues for a decade and began to recover the day I gave up stretching and was crazy enough to start weight training. @Vanisleryan

I'm working to a zero handicap and I'm going in the wrong direction quickly.  Just a fantasy now, really.

29 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Stop stretching....start foam rolling and a mild total body weight lifting regime (machines at first).  I had severe back issues for a decade and began to recover the day I gave up stretching and was crazy enough to start weight training. @Vanisleryan

I'm working to a zero handicap and I'm going in the wrong direction quickly.  Just a fantasy now, really.

I think it's obviously a bit different for everyone.  Sometimes things change as well relative to what seems to work for the back.

im 41 now.  Played the sports, very active outdoors and work in construction - a lifer.  I've had car accidents, falls on trails, hits on the ice, you name it.

i don't disagree with you when you say try working out.  In my mid twenties to mid thirties My back always felt better when stronger but nevertheless the issues have always been there.

for me now, and over the last 6-7 years I've found that varied form of exercise, trail runs, swimming and my day to day work are what's best now.  Basically, athletic movement under load.  Keeping the body moving and athletic, and maintaining the range of motion has been key.  I haven't been to the gym in ten years.  I found that all the heavy lifting killed my range of motion/mobility etc and actually worked against me when I wanted to do the outdoor activities.  Hard to swim if you can't even touch the back of your own shoulder lol.

the foam rolling is great.  I do it for sure.  But stretching has been great for me.  Keep those hammys and hip flexor loose and it's amazing to see how much better the back will feel.

i do see a chiro for maintenance.  I'd say roughly quarterly on average.

Archived