The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you working towards?

Mainly Mattias

1 hour ago, clam linguine said:

Stop stretching....start foam rolling and a mild total body weight lifting regime (machines at first).  I had severe back issues for a decade and began to recover the day I gave up stretching and was crazy enough to start weight training. @Vanisleryan

I'm working to a zero handicap and I'm going in the wrong direction quickly.  Just a fantasy now, really.

I'm not at all a fan of foam rolling except for the outside of my knees/thighs. Or if I get tightness somewhere in my back I'll grab a firm tennis ball, throw it in a thin cloth, and roll it between my body and a wall. In my experience though, foam rolling sucks; if it works for you I'm happy for you.

Stretching isn't just about making your back feel better, it's about keeping your whole body limber so it can function as a happy unit with your back. My stretches and exercises focus on my back and core muscles, and saying "stop stretching" is about the worst advice anyone can attempt to offer someone... unless they aren't stretching properly in the first place. Everyone, at all ages, should be stretching for at least 30 minutes a day. We don't fo it though because we make BS excuses like we're too busy or want to have another beer or whatever. Stretching has been medically proven to be beneficial, if it hurt you then you are either an anomally, in which case I'm sorry, or you need a refresher on how to do it properly. 

When it comes to maintaining an already damaged body there is no 1 perfect routine, but with my back strengthening the core muscles and proper stretching have been 2 thumbs up. No ifs, ands, or buts.

@Green Building I recommend this. When I stopped playing baseball I had a couple ailments that seemed to permeate through my whole body and affect my day to day life. Gaining a better understanding of what ailment was causing what pain, or vice versa (sort of a chicken and egg situation) did wonders for me. 

https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/becoming-a-supple-leopard-the/9781936608584-item.html?mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=197537908517&pkw&pmt=b&s_campaign=goo-DSA+Books+Best+Sellers&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl5a2wIiW1QIVg25-Ch1w8g_jEAAYASAAEgJwQPD_BwE

12 hours ago, riffraff said:

I think it's obviously a bit different for everyone.  Sometimes things change as well relative to what seems to work for the back.

im 41 now.  Played the sports, very active outdoors and work in construction - a lifer.  I've had car accidents, falls on trails, hits on the ice, you name it.

i don't disagree with you when you say try working out.  In my mid twenties to mid thirties My back always felt better when stronger but nevertheless the issues have always been there.

for me now, and over the last 6-7 years I've found that varied form of exercise, trail runs, swimming and my day to day work are what's best now.  Basically, athletic movement under load.  Keeping the body moving and athletic, and maintaining the range of motion has been key.  I haven't been to the gym in ten years.  I found that all the heavy lifting killed my range of motion/mobility etc and actually worked against me when I wanted to do the outdoor activities.  Hard to swim if you can't even touch the back of your own shoulder lol.

the foam rolling is great.  I do it for sure.  But stretching has been great for me.  Keep those hammys and hip flexor loose and it's amazing to see how much better the back will feel.

i do see a chiro for maintenance.  I'd say roughly quarterly on average.

I agree with this. You didn't take my advice to do mild weight training though. I see a chiro quarterly too.  Now that I'm better I stretch too...it's OK when you're warmed up and healed up. Modern core exercise might be the best way to go...maybe the peripheral core activation is why weight training worked well for me.

10 hours ago, Green Building said:

I'm not at all a fan of foam rolling except for the outside of my knees/thighs. Or if I get tightness somewhere in my back I'll grab a firm tennis ball, throw it in a thin cloth, and roll it between my body and a wall. In my experience though, foam rolling sucks; if it works for you I'm happy for you.

Stretching isn't just about making your back feel better, it's about keeping your whole body limber so it can function as a happy unit with your back. My stretches and exercises focus on my back and core muscles, and saying "stop stretching" is about the worst advice anyone can attempt to offer someone... unless they aren't stretching properly in the first place. Everyone, at all ages, should be stretching for at least 30 minutes a day. We don't fo it though because we make BS excuses like we're too busy or want to have another beer or whatever. Stretching has been medically proven to be beneficial, if it hurt you then you are either an anomally, in which case I'm sorry, or you need a refresher on how to do it properly. 

When it comes to maintaining an already damaged body there is no 1 perfect routine, but with my back strengthening the core muscles and proper stretching have been 2 thumbs up. No ifs, ands, or buts.

If stretching isn't working...it's good advice,

When you said back pain is forever, it sounded like you needed help. For me back pain was forever (a decade). I would wonder why I was worse off than anyone I knew, or even saw. I turned into a stretchaholic trying to help myself. Stop and heal. Take it easy....but not too easy. There will be lots of time to regain any lost mobility when muscles have finished protecting the injury. 

For me mild weight training got muscles that were only getting stretched for such a long period of time...reengaged. I could feel improvement after just a few sessions.

I like foam roller for legs and glutes but I agree balls are better for most parts of the back.

I owe my parents roughly 70K-80K, most of that going towards my education. For my sister's education my parents had to take out a lien on the family home and she paid it all off herself with interest. She is too nice to lord it over me but I can tell she thinks I had it much easier which I can't really deny.

Being the youngest in the family has the disadvantage (or advantage depending on your perspective) that nothing is really expected from you. Its a matter of pride mostly, my Dad doesn't need nor expect me to pay any of it. The last time I brought it up he was outright dismissive as if he did not think I was capable of paying it off. So proving him wrong is important to me especially since everyone still thinks of me as the kid in the family which is really annoying. I don't know if it will make much of a difference in their behavior, they are much too used to seeing me in that light but hopefully it will have an effect on my perception.

My mom tells me that I shouldn't bother as my Dad has already wasted quite a bit of their money on his alcoholic brother and his moron of a son. But damn if I am going to be like one of those moochers.

4 hours ago, Toews said:

I owe my parents roughly 70K-80K, most of that going towards my education. For my sister's education my parents had to take out a lien on the family home and she paid it all off herself with interest. She is too nice to lord it over me but I can tell she thinks I had it much easier which I can't really deny.

Being the youngest in the family has the disadvantage (or advantage depending on your perspective) that nothing is really expected from you. Its a matter of pride mostly, my Dad doesn't need nor expect me to pay any of it. The last time I brought it up he was outright dismissive as if he did not think I was capable of paying it off. So proving him wrong is important to me especially since everyone still thinks of me as the kid in the family which is really annoying. I don't know if it will make much of a difference in their behavior, they are much too used to seeing me in that light but hopefully it will have an effect on my perception.

My mom tells me that I shouldn't bother as my Dad has already wasted quite a bit of their money on his alcoholic brother and his moron of a son. But damn if I am going to be like one of those moochers.

You'll feel amazeballs if you do it.

4 hours ago, Toews said:

I know you're not a kid Toews, but darn you're a good kid.  My generation was really fortunate.  We worked towards goals, like the kids today, but the costs were not so prohibitive.  Plus, a house in town (in the 70's) was well under 40,000, so we were able to get a good start.   

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I know you're not a kid Toews, but darn you're a good kid.  My generation was really fortunate.  We worked towards goals, like the kids today, but the costs were not so prohibitive.  Plus, a house in town (in the 70's) was well under 40,000, so we were able to get a good start.   

Thanks for the kind words Alf. You are right that things are just so expensive. I make a lot of little sacrifices every day that I hope will pay off in the long run. These past couple of years I have turned into a real super saver but sometimes it still feels like you aren't really progressing as much. More than anything I want to be my own man so that one day if I have kids they will know that I worked for everything I have in my life and didn't just receive handouts along the way.

My dad grew up on a farm the oldest of 5 kids, money was scarce but he made it to college and paid off his fees with loans and scholarships. He then helped his each of his siblings get on their feet by helping them with their careers or homes. I could never come close to supporting that many people with the way costs are these days. 

On 2017-7-20 at 0:47 PM, clam linguine said:

I agree with this. You didn't take my advice to do mild weight training though. I see a chiro quarterly too.  Now that I'm better I stretch too...it's OK when you're warmed up and healed up. Modern core exercise might be the best way to go...maybe the peripheral core activation is why weight training worked well for me.

If stretching isn't working...it's good advice,

When you said back pain is forever, it sounded like you needed help. For me back pain was forever (a decade). I would wonder why I was worse off than anyone I knew, or even saw. I turned into a stretchaholic trying to help myself. Stop and heal. Take it easy....but not too easy. There will be lots of time to regain any lost mobility when muscles have finished protecting the injury. 

For me mild weight training got muscles that were only getting stretched for such a long period of time...reengaged. I could feel improvement after just a few sessions.

I like foam roller for legs and glutes but I agree balls are better for most parts of the back.

My injuries were a long time ago. I stretched to keep as loose as possible through my rehab, and when I was ready I began weight training to rebuild the muscles that support the injured area. It was a long process, and of all the people I've met with a back injury, and of all the professionals I've spoken with (excluding chiropractors as they don't sell or market prevention, just short term relief) they all confirm that back pain is for life.

Now, that doesn't mean everybody needs to go out and apply for disability tomorrow. On a pain scale of 1-10 I'd say I'm around a 2 for daily activities, and that jumps to 2-4, or even 5 for extremely physical activity. The most important thing is recognizing the needs of your body, and weight training, while important, is no more important that stretching to keep your body loose before it becomes either injured, or re-injured. Also, everybody has some degree of back pain, it's just part of aging. The important thing is how we manage it.

I have 30 minutes of stretches/excercises that I completed 3 times per day all throughout my rehab. It prevented my back from becoming a stiff, inert, log during gym time, and it also reduced the healing time necessary between weight days since, well, stretching, among other things, increases blood flow, and therefore, oxygen, to the injured or stretched area, and again, as long as the stretch is being done properly there should be no problem.

Key points:

Know exactly what range of motion you need to use to target the area you wish to stretch. Understand that everybody has a different physique and when a physiotherapist, or Youtube (careful), shows you one range of motion you may need to adjust it slightly in order to target the desired muscle(s).

If the pain causes sharp bolts of lightning, or even tears to swell in your eyes, the stretch is going too far. Ease off. Exactly no good comes from overstretching. None. It has the potential to be incredibly harmful.

30 seconds maximum per stretch. It's scienctifically proven that the benefits decrease beyond that, and risks climb. 30 is enough.

Breathe. This one is so important and is the most commonly overlooked. The oxygen being delivered to the stretched mucsles starts in your lungs. If you aren't breathing, you aren't benefitting. Take one deep breath, hold for a moment, and exhale. That should take approxiamately 5 seconds. Breathe that way 6 times per stretch and you don't have too count, and it also relaxes your body to benefit the targeted muscle group more.

You know what helped my muscles re-engage? Acupuncture. No joke. 7 years ago acupuncture saved my ass, not chiro or anything else. But again, everybody is different, everbodies physiology is different, and what works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

I will still defend proper stretching for people of all ages until the day I die. It's way too beneficial to overlook

3 hours ago, Green Building said:

My injuries were a long time ago. I stretched to keep as loose as possible through my rehab, and when I was ready I began weight training to rebuild the muscles that support the injured area. It was a long process, and of all the people I've met with a back injury, and of all the professionals I've spoken with (excluding chiropractors as they don't sell or market prevention, just short term relief) they all confirm that back pain is for life.

Now, that doesn't mean everybody needs to go out and apply for disability tomorrow. On a pain scale of 1-10 I'd say I'm around a 2 for daily activities, and that jumps to 2-4, or even 5 for extremely physical activity. The most important thing is recognizing the needs of your body, and weight training, while important, is no more important that stretching to keep your body loose before it becomes either injured, or re-injured. Also, everybody has some degree of back pain, it's just part of aging. The important thing is how we manage it.

I have 30 minutes of stretches/excercises that I completed 3 times per day all throughout my rehab. It prevented my back from becoming a stiff, inert, log during gym time, and it also reduced the healing time necessary between weight days since, well, stretching, among other things, increases blood flow, and therefore, oxygen, to the injured or stretched area, and again, as long as the stretch is being done properly there should be no problem.

Key points:

Know exactly what range of motion you need to use to target the area you wish to stretch. Understand that everybody has a different physique and when a physiotherapist, or Youtube (careful), shows you one range of motion you may need to adjust it slightly in order to target the desired muscle(s).

If the pain causes sharp bolts of lightning, or even tears to swell in your eyes, the stretch is going too far. Ease off. Exactly no good comes from overstretching. None. It has the potential to be incredibly harmful.

30 seconds maximum per stretch. It's scienctifically proven that the benefits decrease beyond that, and risks climb. 30 is enough.

Breathe. This one is so important and is the most commonly overlooked. The oxygen being delivered to the stretched mucsles starts in your lungs. If you aren't breathing, you aren't benefitting. Take one deep breath, hold for a moment, and exhale. That should take approxiamately 5 seconds. Breathe that way 6 times per stretch and you don't have too count, and it also relaxes your body to benefit the targeted muscle group more.

You know what helped my muscles re-engage? Acupuncture. No joke. 7 years ago acupuncture saved my ass, not chiro or anything else. But again, everybody is different, everbodies physiology is different, and what works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

I will still defend proper stretching for people of all ages until the day I die. It's way too beneficial to overlook

Wow! Seriously?  I'm sorry you've had that experience with chiros.  I've never received that message. I've seen six chiros now, two over several years and one for about a year.  Most openly expressed strategies for total health.

as to your accupuncture experience.  Yes amazing right?  I developed an injury to my right elbow due to a repetitive work motion involving impact.  Basically, fluid would build up in my elbow and the general pain was excruciating.  I couldn't even throw a ball. It would feel

lile my arm was going to go with it.

8 consecutive weeks of accu,  13 years ago and no pain to this day. Zero. And I still work the same way, activities etc.

im a firm believer in accu. Have gone for sinus issues in the past as well.  One time I was rid of bronchitis within 36 hours.

18 hours ago, riffraff said:

I'm working towards working in my own town and sleeping in my own bed every night and saying good night and good morning to my family.

i figure in 12-18 months.

Good luck brother, i haven't done that in 37 years but one more year and i will retire and drive part time.

1 hour ago, ice orca said:

Good luck brother, i haven't done that in 37 years but one more year and i will retire and drive part time.

I'm only 41 so I'm a ways from retirement, if ever lol.

but I've been away from home into my 5th year now.  At least  back on the island now and not out of province like the last four.  But still far enough to not drive every day.

hope you have a safe final year or so and enjoy the time off when it comes.

This, A Van Isl family property that I never thought I could afford until the Vancouver housing market went nuts.

2yrs from now I will sell the properties I have to put all my eggs in one basket. I will be semi retired at 45. By semi , I mean I have some projects in mind to generate some income. I'm very lucky.

Actual view from the 200ft of private beach front on 3acres.

IMG_20170716_211224.jpg

Early retirement.  Not as early as I hoped, but that is all my fault.  At least being able to retire early is also mostly my doing.

About the same timeframe, get out of SoCal, likely even out of state.  Get a little smaller town living going on, but still be close enough to an airport for travel's sake.  Not sure how much I am going to like 10-12 lane freeways doing 80mph when I am collecting a pension.  It's bad enough on these 10-12 lane freeways doing 5mph on the way to work.

On 2017-7-20 at 4:29 PM, Toews said:

Man, this post makes me feel fortunate to be European. Scottish students (along with students of many EU countries) don't pay for their undergraduate studies. It's government funded. I worked hard every summer to save enough to pay for accommodation costs and stuff, but I had it easy to compared to you guys. Even the Master's I'm currently studying was only $5000 Canadian for the year. Props to you for having the determination to pay that off. I don't envy you.

As for what I'm working towards, I'm not entirely sure at the moment. Hoping to find a job I enjoy in the next few months. I have a couple of side projects on the go that I ultimately want to generate some additional income, but we'll see how that goes as they develop in the next few weeks.

Short term goal: Working on not trying to touch my smartphone every time I have a free minute. Just bought a cheap call and text message mobile phone to replace my smart phone and start communicating the old fashioned way. I miss society before the smart phone.

Long term goal: Making sure my daughter grows up with as much parental attention as she needs without dad and mom being distracted by trivial distractions.

Archived