The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hortankin

Most underrated Canuck player/prospect  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Figured since the prospect ranking seem to get a lot of discussion and some summer fun I'd try a ranking of our 10 most under rated players and prospects.

Will start #2 when 1 player hits 50 votes or 24 hours goes by with atleast a 10 vote lead for both sections.

My #1 has to be Virtanen, and Gudbranson.

Virtanen:

because he has been getting a lot of hate lately because he hasn't been producing goals. He went to Utica in very bad shape and now looks like he has an NHL ready body. The kid is putting in the work. His main goal in Utica was strength and conditioning, and his defensive play, not his goals. Some people don't realize the AHL isn't a place a rookie goes to work on what they're best at.

Gudbranson:

Gets a lot of unwarranted hate around here and is just trade deadline bait to most on here. He was dominate in Florida, maybe not offensively, but he is a big physical crease clearing defenceman that sticks up for his team. Very humble guy and players love to play for him. He never had a chance to get into a groove with us last year as he got hit with the injury bug. Talon and Mitchell have had some very nice things to say, and Talon even said he was captain material. He is already a top 4 and top 2 is deffiently reachable for him.

Please tell us why you think your players are the most under rated. It will help create discussion and maybe teach some fans some things they might not have seen in the player(s) before.

Enjoy :)

4 minutes ago, Gaz in the City said:

Granlund and Gaudette for me. 

I think Gaudette is better than Virtanen, but Gaudette gets more hype, that's why I ultimately chose Virtanen

Granlund is a nice one. Quietly going to pot 20+ next year

I suppose it depends on where they're rated - outside of Vancouver, guys like Granlund and Gaudette may be overlooked - but here, I'd have to go with the guys who are actively devalued.

Tough one between Sutter and Gudbranson - both of whom are under-rated in general around here, and the subject of some really bad 'analytics'.  I'll say Sutter simply because he's proven himself over a longer period and yet a lot of people continue to completely whiff on his value.

For prospects I'd add Cassels to the list - I think he's all but forgotten, but perhaps shouldn't be - he could become a very good bottom six shutdown C yet.

Of that list I'd go with Virtanen.  Aside from scoring, has shown a lot more game than gets realized imo.

7 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

I think Gaudette is better than Virtanen, but Gaudette gets more hype, that's why I ultimately chose Virtanen

I always looked at is as the other way around, but I suppose with Virt not being in the NHL this past season that has probably changed. I still have a lot of hope for JV.

9 minutes ago, Gaz in the City said:

I always looked at is as the other way around, but I suppose with Virt not being in the NHL this past season that has probably changed. I still have a lot of hope for JV.

Virtanen gets a lot of hate around here because he was too busy working on what he wasn't good at.. defence. People want goals and because he didn't score many, many are calling him a bust.

I see a kid that worked his ass off and is in NHL shape ready to make the jump. Although 1 more year on a stacked Utica team is the way to go, unless he lights it up in the preseason

2 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It's kind of hard to do a top 10 ranking on a very subjective matter like 'top 10 underrated players'.

Anyway, went with Granlund and Gaudette.

Not as easy as a prospect ranking. There will be lots of different opinions which will lead to discussion. Hopefully with this people will see how good some of these guys who they never really watched are.

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

Yeah, I'm the guy who picked Erikkson. Because there's no way he has a season that bad twice in a row, right?

He's now for taking a bit to get going. Pretty sure his 1st year in Boston was terrible as well. People are too quick to panick

2 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Virtanen gets a lot of hate around here because he was too busy working on what he wasn't good at.. defence. People want goals and because he didn't score many, many are calling him a bust.

I see a kid that worked his ass of and if in NHL shape ready to make the jump. Although 1 more year on a stacked Utica team is the way to go, unless he lights it up in the preseason

That's really why I went with him; he does get a lot of criticism here. Gaudette seems to have flown under the radar all along, especially to casual fans. Just didn't have that "top ten pick" hype JV inherited. I'm definitely going to be stoked if either of them make the team though. Gaudette has been ripping it up in college and we've had some good luck with those kinds of guys lately.

2 minutes ago, Gaz in the City said:

That's really why I went with him; he does get a lot of criticism here. Gaudette seems to have flown under the radar all along, especially to casual fans. Just didn't have that "top ten pick" hype JV inherited. I'm definitely going to be stoked if either of them make the team though. Gaudette has been ripping it up in college and we've had some good luck with those kinds of guys lately.

Benning is low key building us a legit contender. I'm loving it because in 3-4 years even TSN will be saying "WOW"

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I suppose it depends on where they're rated - outside of Vancouver, guys like Granlund and Gaudette may be overlooked - but here, I'd have to go with the guys who are actively devalued.

Tough one between Sutter and Gudbranson - both of whom are under-rated in general around here, and the subject of some really bad 'analytics'.  I'll say Sutter simply because he's proven himself over a longer period and yet a lot of people continue to completely whiff on his value.

For prospects I'd add Cassels to the list - I think he's all but forgotten, but perhaps shouldn't be - he could become a very good bottom six shutdown C yet.

Of that list I'd go with Virtanen.  Aside from scoring, has shown a lot more game than gets realized imo.

I wanted to add more prospects but I wanted to keep it at 10 a piece.. I figured I'd take the 10 best overlooked prospects I could think of. Maybe I should have done separate threads.

But I make enough as it is so I made a 2 for 1 today :)

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

It's the return of the lists plague of 2013! (or whenever that was). Ah yes, good times.

It's going to be a long, hot  and smoky summer and this is better than all the crapping on each other that's going on in a couple of the other threads. ::D

I'm taking this thread as asking "who is the most underrated player/prospect as discussed by CDC".

For player, it's hotly contended between Eriksson, Sutter and Gudbranson.  I picked Gudbranson as he could potentially be a Willie Mitchell style player with an even tougher 'edge' to him, but a good argument could be made for any of the other two.  I think most on CDC see a lot of the value in Granlund, although there's still room for upside.

With regard to prospects, I think hands down Virtanen is the most underestimated.  The bar has generally been set so low by most on CDC after his rookie season and a fairly lacklustre first season in Utica that he can't help but exceed expectations.  I look to see him back in Vancouver in 2018/2019 and being an impact middle six player.  Gaudette is constantly lauded in his prospects thread so I don't see him as underrated, but he certainly might have the best NHL career in the end of those listed.

I went for Hutton as a player but Gudbranson is right there with him.

All of the hype has turned to Troy Stecher (and to Tryamkin while he was here), while Hutton is now almost the de facto next Sbisa in a lot of people's minds. I thought after his early season struggles he was good in his own end, and he out-performed Stecher on the powerplay, despite seeing more 2nd unit minutes.

Virtanen was an easy pick, look how far he has dropped in the other poll going on ranking our prospects, but Brisebois deserves mention as this time last year he was on everyone's radar as one of our best D prospects, and now he's kind of been forgotten about.

Archived