The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hortankin

Most underrated Canuck player/prospect  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

@Rob_Zepp did you pick Baertschi because of our earlier discussion? Lol

I like him bro but I don't think he's close to the most under rated.. I see him as over rated.

Not trying to shoot down your opinion just thought I'd ask :P

Nope.  Well, maybe a little  :lol:   I just find he gets very little respect on CDC hence that is definition of underrated.   He is a first round pick that is now playing like one but talked about like a "guy who is lucky to be in NHL" most of the time.

23 minutes ago, cbdoubleu said:

I went for Hutton as a player but Gudbranson is right there with him.

All of the hype has turned to Troy Stecher (and to Tryamkin while he was here), while Hutton is now almost the de facto next Sbisa in a lot of people's minds. I thought after his early season struggles he was good in his own end, and he out-performed Stecher on the powerplay, despite seeing more 2nd unit minutes.

Virtanen was an easy pick, look how far he has dropped in the other poll going on ranking our prospects, but Brisebois deserves mention as this time last year he was on everyone's radar as one of our best D prospects, and now he's kind of been forgotten about.

Hutton is very skilled and I'm guilty of trying to trade him for value in my proposals and here is why.

Our top pairing IMO will be..

Juolevi Gudbranson

Our 2nd pairing, should be, I'm hoping anyway will be..

Tryamkin Stecher

Now a lot of people don't think Tryamkin will return but I do. If he does I want him with Stecher. That way we have Juolevi anchoring the offence and Gudbranson taking on most of the defensive responsibilities, then the same thing with the Tryamkin/Stecher pairing. Only way Hutton fits into this lineup is if he take a dicount to stay here and play 3rd pairing, but I don't like him on the 3rd pairing and I'll get to that in a moment.

If Tryamkin don't return there is still a possibility we draft Dahlin which would put Hutton in the same spot. If not and Hutton was in our long term plan this is how the lines should be paired up..

Juolevi Stecher 

Hutton Gudbranson 

Now here's the reason I don't want Hutton on the 3rd pairing. He can defend but not that great, he is more known for his offence. I am very high on Subban on out backend especially for the PP and I don't like seeing a pairing of Hutton and Subban, the defending would be terrible. My vision for our future D core looks like so..

Juolevi/Dahlin Gudbranson 

Tryamkin/Juolevi Stecher 

Brisboise Subban

Went with Granlund-he is an amazing player who got 19 goals in his first almost full season in the NHL. Had he stayed healthy, he would have surpassed 20. Not bad for a guy was obtained in a trade that many of us, myself included, thought was a crazy deal.It's not just the goals but the overall play is very impressive, this guy was a steal from the Flamers.

Went with Virtanen as the prospect. He is underrated because it seems that a lot of people have soured on him and the rest never liked him in the first place. Just because other guys have seemed to hit their stride sooner doesn't mean he is a bust. From all appearances Virt is working hard to learn how to be a professional and will be here to stay in a year or so.

12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Nope.  Well, maybe a little  :lol:   I just find he gets very little respect on CDC hence that is definition of underrated.   He is a first round pick that is now playing like one but talked about like a "guy who is lucky to be in NHL" most of the time.

As one of those people I'll agree with you.. I wouldn't say he's lucky to be in the NHL. He is a top 6 fwd and will be for quite a while, but I like Goldobins play more and Virtanens size and shot would be needed more than Baertschi playmaking. I'd love to have him as a future 3rd liner. But like I said before I think he demands top 6 $ and term and I don't think it's worth it.

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser

Virtanen Horvat Dahlen

Baertschi Gaudette Granlund

That 3rd line though :)

basing this on common comments from this board: 

Pro's

Underrated- Hutton. Despite being a Gillis pick he'll get past the sophomore jinx

Overrated- granlund. Middle of the road 32 point guy with protected minutes treated like he's driving the offense and not easy to replace.

Not pros

Underrated- Subban because it's impossible for this board to think any worse of him

overrated- jake. No he's not bertuzzi in waiting, He's Torres with less points.  

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I suppose it depends on where they're rated - outside of Vancouver, guys like Granlund and Gaudette may be overlooked - but here, I'd have to go with the guys who are actively devalued.

Tough one between Sutter and Gudbranson - both of whom are under-rated in general around here, and the subject of some really bad 'analytics'.  I'll say Sutter simply because he's proven himself over a longer period and yet a lot of people continue to completely whiff on his value.

For prospects I'd add Cassels to the list - I think he's all but forgotten, but perhaps shouldn't be - he could become a very good bottom six shutdown C yet.

Of that list I'd go with Virtanen.  Aside from scoring, has shown a lot more game than gets realized imo.

Have to agree on Sutter. Not sure why there's so much dislike for him and what he brings. 

I said Brisebois for most underrated prospect. The kid has very quietly been developing into a solid player and is getting to be a decent size as well at 6'3" 190lbs. He had a very good year last season with 47 points in the Q and hopefully he's going to continue that in Utica. He only turns 20 next month. We should be hearing more about him now though with the Comets. 

5 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

basing this on common comments from this board: 

Pro's

Underrated- Hutton. Despite being a Gillis pick he'll get past the sophomore jinx

Overrated- granlund. Middle of the road 32 point guy with protected minutes treated like he's driving the offense and not easy to replace.

Not pros

Underrated- Subban because it's impossible for this board to think any worse of him

overrated- jake. No he's not bertuzzi in waiting, He's Torres with less points.  

I love Subban!

Just now, TimberWolf said:

he'll probably never make it but how anyone can not root for him is beyond me. he's just a great guy

He will bring excitement to our team next year. His defence is what may hold him back

I'd love to try him as a 4th line winger. For a small guy he can really rip the puck and forecheck

Went with Granlund and Gaudette.

Granlund displayed some truly killer offensive instincts last season, succeeding pretty much wherever Willie had him playing. I suspect he's going to surprise a lot of people next season by scoring 25 goals and netting 40-50 points overall (assuming he plays the whole year).

Gaudette, while getting some love after his spectacular performance during the prospects scrimmage, still seems to be penciled in most peoples future lineups as a bottom six player. I think he can be better than that. A LOT better. NCAA hockey isn't easy to score in, and he put up some pretty massive numbers last season. Also, I really don't see many holes in his game. He plays hard, fast, has good hands, and is tenacious as all hell. I think he's going to be competing with Pettersson for a top 6 center position in a few years.

@Hortankin How about a "Most overrated" thread?

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Granlund displayed some truly killer offensive instincts last season, succeeding pretty much wherever Willie had him playing. I suspect he's going to surprise a lot of people next season by scoring 25 goals and netting 40-50 points overall (assuming he plays the whole year).

Gaudette, while getting some love after his spectacular performance during the prospects scrimmage, still seems to be penciled in most peoples future lineups as a bottom six player. I think he can be better than that. A LOT better. NCAA hockey isn't easy to score in, and he put up some pretty massive numbers last season. Also, I really don't see many holes in his game. He plays hard, fast, has good hands, and is tenacious as all hell. I think he's going to be competing with Pettersson for a top 6 center position in a few years.

We could easily pencil him into top 6 but having a 1-2-3 punch of Pettersson, Horvat, and Gaudette will be sweet. 1-2-3-4 if you count Sutter.

If he's top 6 I'd like to see this

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser

Dahlen Horvat Gaudette

Virtanen Granlund Lind

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

@Hortankin How about a "Most overrated" thread?

Maybe after this. Mods might get mad. I'm known to make a lot of threads, I try not too but the summer is boring

I went with Granlund and Gaudette. They've both made huge strides in their development over the last two seasons. Granlund looks like he can be a good third line center who can provide secondary scoring and if Gaudette keeps down this path i think he could also be an effective two way middle six guy.

2 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Figured since the prospect ranking seem to get a lot of discussion and some summer fun I'd try a ranking of our 10 most under rated players and prospects.

Will start #2 when 1 player hits 100 votes or 24 hours goes by with atleast a 15 vote lead for both sections, or shortly after if I'm not on at that point. 

My #1 has to be Virtanen, and Gudbranson.

Virtanen:

because he has been getting a lot of hate lately because he hasn't been producing goals. He went to Utica in very bad shape and now looks like he has an NHL ready body. The kid is putting in the work. His main goal in Utica was strength and conditioning, and his defensive play, not his goals. Some people don't realize the AHL isn't a place a rookie goes to work on what they're best at.

Gudbranson:

Gets a lot of unwarranted hate around here and is just trade deadline bait to most on here. He was dominate in Florida, maybe not offensively, but he is a big physical crease clearing defenceman that sticks up for his team. Very humble guy and players love to play for him. He never had a chance to get into a groove with us last year as he got hit with the injury bug. Talon and Mitchell have had some very nice things to say, and Talon even said he was captain material. He is already a top 4 and top 2 is deffiently reachable for him.

Please tell us why you think your players are the most under rated. It will help create discussion and maybe teach some fans some things they might not have seen in the player(s) before.

Enjoy :)

Subban is easily the most underrated prospect in the organization.  I hear positive news backing up almost every prospect we have.  Subban is too small, too soft, doesn't play well in his own end, was benched by Travis Green, etc...

The guy was an AHL all-star last year.  He is a great offensive defenseman at the AHL level, and he is still young(prospect).  The expectation for him are pretty close to zero.

What if he can actually translate his skill set???

Most underrated roster player Edler/Sutter.  They get so much hate its unbelievable.  Posters offer to expose them in the expansion draft.  Cap dump them.  Trade them for scraps.  I mean these two players play the most difficult minutes on the team.  On a very bad team.  They have all the pressure.  Because they don't carry the team between the two of them into playoff contention then that means they are terrible.

The people who count Edlers turnovers are beyond ridiculous.  Do you watch hockey?  Have you never watched top pairing defenseman on another team before?  20+min per night will lead to a lot of turnovers.  Its almost as if by mentioning Elder's or Sbisa's turnovers a fan can show how intelligent and perceptive they are.  As they noticed the turnover and they know that is bad thing to do.  Ignore the fact that all players turnover the puck.  The more you play the more errors you make.  That's basic stuff...

Sutter's contract is the other big thing that people are stuck on.  As if there are just trees full of 30-40 goal scores in the NHL making 3-4mil or less.  They are literally everywhere.  70pt players at 1.5 mil for sure...

So even though they play prominent roles on the team, I still believe they are underrated by the fan base as their contribution is far greater than the vast majority of the players on the team.  Or more importantly how they are perceived...

Edler: a legitimate top 4 player that many of the fans here wants to trade away for a bag of pucks.

Virtanen: some people think that he won't even make the NHL. Most people think of him as a 4th liner and a 3rd liner at best. For a 6th overall pick, that's pretty much the definition of underrated.

Archived