The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TERROR ATTACK :Barcelona: Van hits crowd near Las Ramblas

kurtis

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

12 murdered, 80 injured, 1000's terrorized and some posters bring American politics into this?   :sadno:

Yes some people do

Why?

Because this is a world wide issue furball.  You do not allow the single most visible and divisive leader in teh free world right now any freedom to ignore his own countries issues while pointing out those in other countries.

You do not allow terror in one place because of "permits" then decry it in others.

This is OUR planet, we are ONE race and to sit and ignore this in one area of the globe while standing up to it in others because one is in your house and the other is in another is ignorance of the highest order.

At this point, this is an issue in part started by US intervention, but also on the backs of each and every one of us for ever staying silent at a racist joke, smiling at comments about ethnicity or religion, being ok with that one relative who got a little loud during the holidays.

This is on ALL of us.  Spain does not stand alone, and they do not suffer alone.

Just now, Warhippy said:

Yes some people do

Why?

Because this is a world wide issue furball.  You do not allow the single most visible and divisive leader in teh free world right now any freedom to ignore his own countries issues while pointing out those in other countries.

You do not allow terror in one place because of "permits" then decry it in others.

This is OUR planet, we are ONE race and to sit and ignore this in one area of the globe while standing up to it in others because one is in your house and the other is in another is ignorance of the highest order.

At this point, this is an issue in part started by US intervention, but also on the backs of each and every one of us for ever staying silent at a racist joke, smiling at comments about ethnicity or religion, being ok with that one relative who got a little loud during the holidays.

This is on ALL of us.  Spain does not stand alone, and they do not suffer alone.

Yes to all you typed, except the Trump part.  This horror is not about him. 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes to all you typed, except the Trump part.  This horror is not about him. 

Sorry bud

Little worked up these last few days.  A lot of the stuff I put behind me is cropping up again and very publicly.  These attacks, protests and the like are bringing out the ugly in a LOT of people and it's got me on edge

Faced a lot of racism growing up on both sides of the fence and i cannot for a second stomach people ignoring these issues at home while crying about it in another country.

Especially here in canada where systemic racism is still so prominent yet swept under the rug with token assurances of "it will get better"

Just now, Warhippy said:

Sorry bud

Little worked up these last few days.  A lot of the stuff I put behind me is cropping up again and very publicly.  These attacks, protests and the like are bringing out the ugly in a LOT of people and it's got me on edge

Faced a lot of racism growing up on both sides of the fence and i cannot for a second stomach people ignoring these issues at home while crying about it in another country.

Especially here in canada where systemic racism is still so prominent yet swept under the rug with token assurances of "it will get better"

I'm glad you post personal things about your experiences with racism growing up.  You're a respected poster, and your words educate and influence others here.  In a way, you're making an important contribution.

This cowardly attack today has us all very upset.  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'm glad you post personal things about your experiences with racism growing up.  You're a respected poster, and your words educate and influence others here.  In a way, you're making an important contribution.

This cowardly attack today has us all very upset.  

I'm not a respected poster.  At one point or another i've attacked or trolled just about everyone on this forum

But I try to stay consistent and honest about myself through it.

All I know is that we here in the west cannot sit and allow our leaders to accept or stay silent over our issues while pointing fingers at Europe.  Let alone any countries we've been involved in conflicts in over the last near 20 years in the middle east.

We all caused this, we're all part of the problem and it's about time we all start being part of the solution.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Sorry bud

1) These Muslim terrorist attacks have been happening for nearly 20 years now. Sad our government's are doing very little about it. As far as the U.S goes(wrong thread hip) I said earlier I thought the kkk was pretty well dead.

2) I agree but it seems people think there is no racism in Canada because Trudeau keeps insinuating there isn't. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

48 minutes.  it took him 48 minutes to respond to this attack.  it took him 48 days to condemn the same attack on American soil.  It took him 5 days to mention the victim by name.

Obviously, there was violence on both sides.  I mean, he had a permit to be there or???

Oh man watch the video and then reconsider This post. You have a young daughter hip.

44 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oh man watch the video and then reconsider This post. You have a young daughter hip.

I suggest you look at my posts today.  I'm a pretty angry guy over the last few days.  His hypocrisy is allowing this crap to propagate here in the west as people feel so emboldened.  By playing down the issues here but immediately speaking out against it there

That is a SERIOUS problem and one in which EVERYONE must use their voice.

50 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

1) These Muslim terrorist attacks have been happening for nearly 20 years now. Sad our government's are doing very little about it. As far as the U.S goes(wrong thread hip) I said earlier I thought the kkk was pretty well dead.

2) I agree but it seems people think there is no racism in Canada because Trudeau keeps insinuating there isn't. 

These attacks have been happening the world over since the 70s actually.  This is not a muslim thing.  It is an IRA thing.  An FLQ thing.  A white supremacist thing.  A misunderstood child thing.  A confused orientation thing.

Stop making this only about Muslims or else I'll use the numbers

Just now, Warhippy said:

These attacks have been happening the world over since the 70s actually.  This is not a muslim thing.  It is an IRA thing.  An FLQ thing.  A white supremacist thing.  A misunderstood child thing.  A confused orientation thing.

Go right ahead. Check the amount of Muslim terrorist attacks around the globe. Flq yes were terrorist I believe2 people died?

More from Spain - Catalan police warn of possible terrorist attack

Ongoing incident in Cambrils

• Police have not said if it related to the attack in Barcelona

http://www.forexlive.com/news/!/more-from-spain-catalan-police-warn-of-possible-terrorist-attack-20170817

Very few details at this moment.

edit -

There is very little information on this possible 2nd attack

Tweet from police (translated from Spanish):
  • At the moment, police operation in #Cambrils before possible terrorist attack. Avoid being on the street! Stay at home.
More coming now:
  • Several attackers killed in shootout, say police
(that is via Spanish media)

16 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You are right about terrorists attacks occurring since the 60's and 70's but the majority was largely localized.   The FLQ terrorists were centered in Quebec.   I don't recall a single incident outside Quebec.  The IRA focused their activity in British held territory.

The difference is Muslim terrorism is worldwide.   It does not matter what country it is, as long as it has Western Values, they are targets.

30 minutes ago, DonLever said:

You are right about terrorists attacks occurring since the 60's and 70's but the majority was largely localized.   The FLQ terrorists were centered in Quebec.   I don't recall a single incident outside Quebec.  The IRA focused their activity in British held territory.

The difference is Muslim terrorism is worldwide.   It does not matter what country it is, as long as it has Western Values, they are targets.

Bingo.

6 minutes ago, Toews said:

I don't see any posts by you. Its funny that you post so often in the threads about Muslims but you do flybys in the threads about white terrorists. Looks like you are fine with fascist clowns.

8 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't want to derail this thread but I will just add you can't be a nationalist in Canada or the U.S and support Nazism. It's just not possible!

To be honest I thought the KKK was dead, kinda like separatism in Quebec if you understand what I mean by that. Still pockets I guess but very small. 

Who in the hell defended that guy? Nazis don't count. 

Do you need more proof?

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Do you need more proof?

Umm none of those posts were from the Charlottesville thread which you seem to have completely ignored. Why is it that you think you can accuse me of not posting in the Barcelona thread while you seem conspicuously absent in the Charlottesville thread? 

I can pull up posts from different threads condemning non-white terrorists as well. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

This is happening in Spain, France, England, India, Germany, Russia, Bosnia, Egypt, Chechnya, Sweden, United States, Nigeria, Somalia, Indonesia, Niger, Kenya, Jordan, Iraq, Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Bali, Philippines etc.

At no point in history IRA, Red Army, Shining Path, ETA, Christian Right etc. had the capacity or infrastructure to carry out these types of attacks across the globe. 

1 hour ago, DonLever said:

Its not just countries with "Western values" either. As CBH states they have hit African and Asian countries as well.

Barcelona Terrorists Planned Bigger Attack With Explosives

Terrorists behind the Barcelona attack had planned a devastating assault with explosives and may have rammed pedestrians with vehicles after their initial plan failed, the police chief heading the investigation said on Friday.

A large explosion in the early hours of Thursday brought down a building in Alcanar, where police think a group of terrorists had been plotting an attack for some time, Catalan police chief Josep Lluis Trapero told reporters. Deprived of bomb-making material, they then carried out the twin strikes on Barcelona and Cambrils “in a more rudimentary way.”

“The explosion in Alcanar stopped larger attacks from happening because they no longer had some of the material they needed,” Trapero said.

The two attacks with vehicles, one in the iconic avenue of Las Ramblas in Barcelona, killed 14 people. Police are still looking for the driver of the van that rammed pedestrians in Barcelona, although they think he could have been one of five assailants killed by police after the second assault in Cambrils.

Four people have been arrested.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-18/barcelona-terrorists-planned-bigger-attack-with-explosives

Archived