Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

PP groups should be 

Granlund Horvat Boeser

Stecher MDZ

Baertschi Sutter Virtanen

Hutton Pouliot

Every unit should have a guy that can win faceoffs and provide net presence (Sutter/Horvat), one guy that can dish the puck (Baertschi/Granlund), one guy that can shoot (Boeser/Virtanen), one D-man that can enter the zone (Hutton/MDZ), and one that can get the puck on the net (Stecher/Pouliot).

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

PP groups should be 

Granlund Horvat Boeser

Stecher MDZ

Hutton Pouliot

Every unit should have a guy that can win faceoffs and provide net presence (Sutter/Horvat), one guy that can dish the puck (Baertschi/Granlund), one guy that can shoot (Boeser/Virtanen), one D-man that can enter the zone (Hutton/MDZ), and one that can get the puck on the net (Stecher/Pouliot).

Green has already said that he is going to be using Sutter as a shutdown C - he's not going to be on the PP.  He also said that Virtanen is unlikely to get PP time.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

PP groups should be 

Granlund Horvat Boeser

Stecher MDZ

Hutton Pouliot

And all need to have decent speed, thus no Sedins who struggle to gain entry and set up due to being so slow.

16 minutes ago, mll said:

Green has already said that he is going to be using Sutter as a shutdown C - he's not going to be on the PP.  He also said that Virtanen is unlikely to get PP time.

Dn stated what he thinks they should be not what green will do.  Unfortunately, and despite 5 years if a declining pp to league worst, green seems to think he can recapture lightning in a bottle by reuniting Brown with the Sedins.  The only constant during the decline us the sedins.  Their ship sailed but they missed the boarding call.

23 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Dn stated what he thinks they should be not what green will do.  Unfortunately, and despite 5 years if a declining pp to league worst, green seems to think he can recapture lightning in a bottle by reuniting Brown with the Sedins.  The only constant during the decline us the sedins.  Their ship sailed but they missed the boarding call.

Sutter was not very efficient on the PP.  He's better suited for a shutdown role.  Baer and Virtanen don't work together and the good PPs are a lot about chemistry.  

1 hour ago, apollo said:

They're setting up pretty well actually... it's not their fault Brock would fan on shots, Hutt or other Dman not able to hold the points... or whoever else they give the puck to doesn't do something smart with it. 

They're still our best offensive assets and just need better chemistry with team mates

One shot on five power plays is not enough to make me happy. Tired of accepting mediocre results all the damn time...

18 minutes ago, mll said:

Sutter was not very efficient on the PP.  He's better suited for a shutdown role.  Baer and Virtanen don't work together and the good PPs are a lot about chemistry.  

Part is chemistry  but lots is also talent and execution.  If it was all about chemistry, the Sedins would still dominate...they are far from that.  The new and young players we have need to establish themselves and develop the chemistry of which you speak.  Hard to do when the Sedins stay out on the PP for 1.5 to 2 minutes.  I would rather see our other players struggling to build a new PP than watch the pathetic, continuing failure of Sedin-controlled PPs.  That management/coach are stubbornly sticking to the twins to drive the PP after their brutal performance of the past 4-5 years, is very disappointing.  They promised new...fast. entertaining...yet they continue to trot out the Sedins, Edler and other slow vets (Vanek) while benching kids for any transgression.  I wonder why there are so many empty seats?  Jake makes high speed rushes and gets off shots...exciting, but he is benched because he wasn't intense enough.  Eriksson gets 2 shot attempts in 4 games but it takes an injury to get him out of his spot.  If I lived in Vancouver, no way in hell would I pay those prices to watch our veteran group.  

Goodness gracious... 4 games into the season and already the Sedin bashing has begun. Oh well, I feel it's better they get bashed than Loui. It won't affect the Sedins... they can handle it. Little heat off Loui might not be a bad thing mentally. 

I doubt the Sabre fans are calling for Eichels head... Rangers calling for Lundqvists... Stars for Benn/Seguin, Sharks fans for Pavelski's, or even the Oiler fans for McDavid's head.... all teams with similar record as we have.

IT'S 4 GAMES INTO THE SEASON PEOPLE 

27 minutes ago, apollo said:

Goodness gracious... 4 games into the season and already the Sedin bashing has begun. Oh well, I feel it's better they get bashed than Loui. It won't affect the Sedins... they can handle it. Little heat off Loui might not be a bad thing mentally. 

I doubt the Sabre fans are calling for Eichels head... Rangers calling for Lundqvists... Stars for Benn/Seguin, Sharks fans for Pavelski's, or even the Oiler fans for McDavid's head.... all teams with similar record as we have.

4 games...5 years of sedin decline...3 years into rebuild...Justification for some concern Apollo

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

4 games...5 years of sedin decline...3 years into rebuild...Justification for some concern Apollo

I'm just as frustrated as anyone... tired of losing... but come on... bashing guys that earned their money? They could have both signed well north of 7 mill at the time.

The Sedin's don't deserve even an ounce of bashing or criticism for their performance. Flat out disrespectful. 

If people need to be "bashed" it should be JB and TL 

Also, all those teams I named above... Rangers, Stars, Sharks, Oilers haven't had much to show for their last decade either... none of those players are Sedin caliber though relative to their franchise. I guess Lundqvist is close but he's played 4 seasons less for NYR than the Sedins have for us. 

10 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You have ruined my day. 

Please do not say we are bringing the Twins back - AT ALL. I don't care if they are prepared to play for nothing, we need to start resetting this team's identity and fast.

I don't see any reason why the Twins cannot be back in a diminished category (3rd liners) for the next little while.

Apart from the twins, we only have Eriksson & Sutter as seasoned vets that are not 4th liners. Thats it. Bo is great, but Bo is not a seasoned vet with multiple, 50-70 point seasons to carry the offence day in, day out. Baertschi has had 1 odd season. Boeser is great too, but a newbie. 

Like it or not, we are not pulling an Edmonton and throwing 10 young kids with 2 vets and hoping for the best. Neither should we. And if we are going to get outside veteran help, i'd much rather have the Twins, especially if they are willing to take a big pay-cut.

22 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Let them retire before they embarrass themselves.  They are at a stage where they need protected minutes because if defensive weakness and a lack of speed and are unable to control play even on the pp.  Time to move on

So let them play sheltered minutes. As long as the twins are on the ice, it takes pressure off of our kids lines. because nobody is going to put 4th line plugs against the twins all the time either, neither are they going to avoid the top defensive lines always. Give our new core time to become elite & seasoned, while bridging the gap for the next batch.

16 minutes ago, apollo said:

I'm just as frustrated as anyone... tired of losing... but come on... bashing guys that earned their money? They could have both signed well north of 7 mill at the time.

The Sedin's don't deserve even an ounce of bashing or criticism for their performance. Flat out disrespectful. 

If people need to be "bashed" it should be JB and TL 

Also, all those teams I named above... Rangers, Stars, Sharks, Oilers haven't had much to show for their last decade either... none of those players are Sedin caliber though relative to their franchise. I guess Lundqvist is close but he's played 4 seasons less for NYR than the Sedins have for us. 

Not bashing them, basing the deployment which is, as you say, more to do with management and coaching.  Having said that, seeing them stay on the ice for 2 minute pp shifts pisses me off

4 hours ago, mll said:

Kesler did both. No reason why Sutter shouldn't be for 4.5 mil.

Well they can keep sending out the same sad units but it won't get them anywhere. You need players with speed that can shoot. Virtanen will force Greens hand.

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Unfortunately it's not about 4 games it's about your two best players hitting the wall 2 years ago. It's about the NHL now being a speed game and about the twins who could never skate getting noticeably slower. It's about these two players getting ice time that should be allocated to others. Hall of fame players but it's almost sad now.

Archived