The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

If this thread or the GDT were any indication, most of the fanbase would be happy if they didn't. Sedins are gone after Daniel gets his thousandth point IMO. 

yah it could be. I was hoping they could surpass Gretzky-Kurri for the all-time point duo but if the start of the season is any indication that one will remain Wayne's.

Played with no speed, no creativity, no intensity, no heart. One of the worst games I've seen live ever.

Tired of watching the vets go through the motions. Give me Virtanen, Goldobin, and Archibald. We were promised speed, skill, and intensity. So far it's looking like the same team as last year.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yah it could be. I was hoping they could surpass Gretzky-Kurri for the all-time point duo but if the start of the season is any indication that one will remain Wayne's.

Vanek hasn't helped them at all. I was hoping Travis would put Granlund back with them but that doesn't seem to be the case. Granlund/Goldobin/Boeser are the only linemates that can even get them close IMO. Time to shake things up, scratch or demote Baertschi for a bit since he's been one of their most ineffective players.

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund
Vanek-Horvat-Boeser
Gagner-Sutter-Virtanen
Baertschi-Burmistrov-Dorsett

or 

Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin
Granlund-Horvat-Boeser
Vanek-Sutter-Virtanen
Gagner-Burmistrov-Dorsett

4 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Vanek hasn't helped them at all. I was hoping Travis would put Granlund back with them but that doesn't seem to be the case. Granlund/Goldobin/Boeser are the only linemates that can even get them close IMO. Time to shake things up, scratch or demote Baertschi for a bit since he's been one of their most ineffective players.

Sedin-Sedin-Granlund
Vanek-Horvat-Boeser
Gagner-Sutter-Virtanen
Baertschi-Burmistrov-Dorsett

or 

Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin
Granlund-Horvat-Boeser
Vanek-Sutter-Virtanen
Gagner-Burmistrov-Dorsett

maybe we can get lucky and St Louis can have more inures and they ask for Vanek now. I just don't like him as a player, he's lazy and also unnecessary for this team. He won't come close to matching last years point total and even then he got traded for a 3rd. 

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

maybe we can get lucky and St Louis can have more inures and they ask for Vanek now. I just don't like him as a player, he's lazy and also unnecessary for this team. He won't come close to matching last years point total and even then he got traded for a 3rd. 

It's looking like no team will even want to trade for him. He's not even taking the type of shots that used to get him goals anymore.

Four games in and we're already down a top 4 D-man and a top 6 winger long term. It's comical really. 

At least this year it appears we have some real depth on wing. I wouldn't mind seeing guys like Pouliot and Weircioch get more of a look too.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Four games in and we're already down a top 4 D-man and a top 6 winger long term. It's comical really. 

At least this year it appears we have some real depth on wing. I wouldn't mind seeing guys like Pouliot and Weircioch get more of a look too.

I would imagine Wiercoch will be on his way up shortly

6 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not surprisingly (to me) I have a completely different view from the Stonker. By splitting them up we can create a more effective team and probably extend their careers. They are still elite playmakers, but they are slow and they no longer seem to be able to shoot the puck effectively. But they can help anchor 2 lines of kids for a couple more seasons. Even if we had 10 F guys under 25 they could slot in and be very useful on two different lines and be the veteran leaders teams need. 

Split them for this year. Do not re-sign.  They are beyond being leaders on the ice.  Whatever they have to share with the kids is in their heads and off-ice,  not in their legs and hands.  They are delaying the transition to speed and tenacity this team needs to  be competitive.

9 hours ago, riffraff said:

Against who?

hank had three penalties last night.  They were almost scored on during the 5/3pp and were scored on shortly later 5/4pp.  The pp where they are sheltered now was the worst anyone has seen it in years.  How can you suggest the sedins are still strong on the puck and good distributors based on that.  Don't even get into 5v5 play.

i don't see how a rebuilding mgmt group could offer them 3-5 mil for any term to play on the third line - a line that should be used for grooming offensive prospects.

look.  We should thank the sedins for their mentor/leadership to date and then cut the chord next year.  

We have new leaders.

Against defenders. Holding the puck for zone entry. 
One can be still very strong on the puck and distribute excellently and be completely mobbed in the PP....if they are too slow. Thats the Sedin's problem.

And i see exactly why a rebuilding team can tie up 9 mil on the third line - their stars/heavy minute munchers are still working off their ELC/RFA contracts. 

Hence the cap space.

Our new leaders are not exactly elite level yet, but they are deserving more of ice time. Hence the new leaders are the 1st & 2nd lines, Sedins are the third line.

1 hour ago, canuckistani said:

I think their value would most likely be 2 years @ 4.5 mil Perfect 'bridge contract' for our new emerging leaders to fully emerge and complete the bridging effect.

Let them retire before they embarrass themselves.  They are at a stage where they need protected minutes because if defensive weakness and a lack of speed and are unable to control play even on the pp.  Time to move on

LV doing well with no names lol , gallant such a great coach :( , but ya, watching the canucks sometimes makes ya wanna cry :(  .......and it will be like this for the next couple years, so we all need thick skin.

and ya sedins need to learn when to hang up the skates and retire already ....2 young players could be in there position and learning to become nhlers ...sedin can still help but behind the scenes ( ie with petterson , dahlen etc )

12 hours ago, alfstonker said:

I don't deny that but it just seems to worse now and there is a large number on here ready to destroy any perceived optimism.

There are 31 teams in this league and they can't all be successful, people don't seem to realise that our time has come and gone and now we need patience (and optimism if we want to enjoy the recovery) not doom and gloom as we wait for our rebirth and recovery.

I agree with you completely. On a game by game basis I am equally guilty of judging our guys in the GDT. However, I don't expect success for the season, I just want some damned effort on the ice night in and night out. You've been here a long time, as have I (but don't post much), the doom and gloom comes and goes as the teams has their ups and downs. It's part of the fun of coming to CDC (for me at least). 

In hindsight, we shouldn't have brought in Vanek and Gagner so that we would get to see Rodin and Goldobin. In hindsight, we shouldn't have brought in Burmistrov so that Archibald gets another chance....but now we are stuck with this team with no direction, no identity. But we'll always have the Comets to remind us a brighter future isn't too far ahead....

Archived