The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks recall Philip Holm from Utica, re-assign Patrick Wiercioch

Odd.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I think you're confusing a vocal minority for a majority consensus. For every Alf and Apollo theres about a dozen level headed posters here. 

[ I've been here for 15+ years, and can guarantee you this is exactly the case on this particular forum. 

I'm still perplexed as to how some users retained their accounts after a major website re-format back around 2005 (? exactly when it happened I can't recall) , and others didn't. (of which I'm one)

Personally, I don't give two ^%t$ whether you have 10 posts or 10,000. If you have something to say, awesome.
But we all see this kind of thing online where "senior" members on a forum seem to run the roost and are immune to prosecution, regardless of the moderators or admins running things at any given time. 

I've been an admin./moderator in the past, and in one case long-term on a forum that dwarfs CDC, so I've been on both sides. In 20 years of my involvement online, this is the WORST moderated forum I've ever participated in. And that's saying something.
The bias here is really obvious to anyone who's been on both sides of the fence. ]

ENDRANT

W/re: to Holm, I loved this guy in the preseason. I don't care how many gaffs he made adjusting to a smaller surface. You could see the guy has NHL level passing and hockey sense along with some offensive potential. 
Now you're starting to see that. 

Hutton: Heads up buddy, you're getting squeezed.

38 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

What a cynic!  That's just what Bullis said.  He's only up because somebody has to be.  It's more to do with Weircoich reaching the end of his waiver free period (10 games or 30 days).

At this rate, they'll never know what they've got.

If only we had 3 Tanev's.  Our D would be great.  :P

Cynic! I'm more of a realist. 

Weirco had to go back. Holm is up because he's being rewarded for his good play. He won't dress for a game though. That's all I was really getting at

13 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Cynic! I'm more of a realist. 

Weirco had to go back. Holm is up because he's being rewarded for his good play. He won't dress for a game though. That's all I was really getting at

If Tanev and Stech aren't ready to go tomorrow, then Holm should 100% be in the lineup over Biega.

I love bulldogs jam, but Holm has an NHL toolkit beyond just "heart" and this team needs to score more goals. 

12 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

D-men coming back in hordes.

Rodin given walkin' papers.

Utica floundering like a floppin' Coho.

Folks..a trade is in the works. There's a few desperate Cdn franchises..namely Edm & Habbies. Also Ott's D are getting hit with injuries.

Predicting we deal a fwd & a D(pkg), getting 3 or 4 puzzle pieces back, for the grand jigsaw.(E4)!

E= mc^2

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I didn't think our D would suck at scoring this year.But they sure do.

Well...

I did not think they would suck? But I did not believe we made major offensive strides. I did think Stecher would be projecting just North of 20 points. Same for MDZ. Not much higher. Because even if they were good. We're not dynamic up front.  3 goals YTD from our D though???  A part is Green using one D, in a primary passing, not shooting, configuration on the PP. But not only 3 goal parts.

At least we're vacating our zone much better.

And defending (a bit) less. Pouliot looks like he's been unlucky not to have scored.

A bit confounding just how little they have scored.

11 hours ago, RonMexico said:

What made you change your mind compared to last year? D typically score on the PP. Canucks PP has been inept for what about 3 seasons now? The top 4 defencemen on the team (Edler, Guddy, Hutton and Tanev) aren't exactly offensive dynamos. Del Zotto has had some offensive prowess in the past but right now I'm sure his only concern is being solid defensively and getting a bit of a long term deal. Pouliot has never really delivered on his potential either. Pretty much leaves no one to score from the blue line.

A dynamo acquired by trade, even if a future dynamo, would be a nice boost?

I was gunna argue, but realized it was not a great idea... :wacko: 

6 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

No Canuck defenders are producing.  Holm showed some offense in camp and has produced in Utica.  Don't they have to give him a shot?

Sure he's a bottom pair player but why not give him 14 mins and trot him out on the power play?  Nothing to lose.

Sit Hutton.  He'll benefit from watching a few games anyways.  

I'm not convinced Holm looked like a scorer. In pre-season, or in the SEL. 

Just solid at rotating the play, springing the odd breakout pass. A solid first pass. Getting to that puck, so we could make a first pass. Then making it rather than defending. All good fundamentals.

Was their ever an indication he broke down guys defensing him. Created offence? 

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

I think a team needs their core group together first.  These are only complimentary players, who will support the core, then be traded for picks when they earn a bigger payday.  If we had guys like that on our current roster, they would only serve to get us to the middle of the standings, and a worse draft position.  Holm might be a good player, but is he really going to get us to the Cup?  I agree these older guys can (and do) make impact on teams, but we need to stay at the bottom to build a winning core first.

Ah C'mon.

I was responding to a guy who essentially said it was stupid to expect a 24 or 26 year old guy to break into the NHL.  I gave 3 examples of guys who broke in at that age, and are solid contributors. ie why were we wasting our time signing a guy at that age?

I could have brought up Dadanov in Florida? Who is 28 and has 17 points in 20 games.  Panarin played his first NHL game a few weeks before his 24th birthday.

The core will develop over time. Or it won't. No reason not to be creative as to where we recruit?  Both for the core, and for the complimentary and depth players.

6 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Ah C'mon.

I was responding to a guy who essentially said it was stupid to expect a 24 or 26 year old guy to break into the NHL.  I gave 3 examples of guys who broke in at that age, and are solid contributors. ie why were we wasting our time signing a guy at that age?

I could have brought up Dadanov in Florida? Who is 28 and has 17 points in 20 games.  Panarin played his first NHL game a few weeks before his 24th birthday.

The core will develop over time. Or it won't. No reason not to be creative as to where we recruit?  Both for the core, and for the complimentary and depth players.

A team collecting these older free agents is only going to succeed in getting somewhat better.  So, if they are rebuilding, like we (hopefully) are, then that puts them into the middle of the pack, and lowers their draft lottery odds, and subsequent positioning in the following draft rounds.  If a team has their core in place, then those older additions supplement the existing core (like Parnarin in Chicago) in hopes of winning a Cup.  JB did this his first year here.  We had an old core, and he supplemented them with several older UFA signings in hopes for a Cup run.  It worked in the regular season.  Then those older guys leave, and we are where we are, because we should have rebuilt, but that's old news.

20 hours ago, RonMexico said:

What made you change your mind compared to last year? D typically score on the PP. Canucks PP has been inept for what about 3 seasons now? The top 4 defencemen on the team (Edler, Guddy, Hutton and Tanev) aren't exactly offensive dynamos. Del Zotto has had some offensive prowess in the past but right now I'm sure his only concern is being solid defensively and getting a bit of a long term deal. Pouliot has never really delivered on his potential either. Pretty much leaves no one to score from the blue line.

I guess I was expecting more offense from Hutton and Stecher plus Pouliot too, MDZ looked like he had a good shot i the preseason. Oh well geez though I wonder how Weber got 11 goals for us?

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I guess I was expecting more offense from Hutton and Stecher plus Pouliot too, MDZ looked like he had a good shot i the preseason. Oh well geez though I wonder how Weber got 11 goals for us?

With the way teams block shots and shooting lanes it's nearly impossible to get shots through 5-on-5 from the point unless it's a fluke. The better players can figure out how but even then, too many forwards willing to sacrifice their bodies to block shots.

Archived