The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trudeau more unpopular than popular for the first time since election: survey

tbone909

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I remember growing up in Canada when we had this thing called "Remembrance Day" where we would celebrate ALL veterans who had served Canada proudly and fought for the freedoms we all hold dear.   However, in Justin Trudeau's world, that was too exclusionary and more pandering was required and he has decided Canada needs a bunch of different mini-Remembrance Days for each different ethnic group.    How quickly the country that is my birthplace is becoming a shadow of what it was.

Oh? Is Remembrance Day canceled?

23 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I remember growing up in Canada when we had this thing called "Remembrance Day" where we would celebrate ALL veterans who had served Canada proudly and fought for the freedoms we all hold dear.   However, in Justin Trudeau's world, that was too exclusionary and more pandering was required and he has decided Canada needs a bunch of different mini-Remembrance Days for each different ethnic group.    How quickly the country that is my birthplace is becoming a shadow of what it was.

Ya, you're reaching pretty bloody hard here man.  When Strome and I are agreeing on things you need to check yourself and stop whining.  because what you're doing right now, is whining.  As well, you might not be in the know, but first nations veterans for a very long time were not included in regimental ceremony for rememberance day or veterans day affairs in north america.

But, then you'd have to care enough to read up on that and not try to somehow disparage the simple celebration of any veteran of any race, creed religion or orientation regardless of the date it is on the calendar simply because "you're offended" to get it

19 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

To be fair at least he is honouring veterans. Canadians should honour veterans and military personnel as often as possible just not one day a year. But make no mistake November 11th is a sacred day.

Good on ya Strome

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Oh? Is Remembrance Day canceled?

Which one?   I think you now have more than one so probably hard to keep track.   To me, and call me old school for a young guy, but having one unified day to honour ALL veterans seems a great way to have a respectful and unifying moment for a country versus a series of pandering attempts at singling out certain groups for political favour.   

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Ya, you're reaching pretty bloody hard here man.  When Strome and I are agreeing on things you need to check yourself and stop whining.  because what you're doing right now, is whining.  As well, you might not be in the know, but first nations veterans for a very long time were not included in regimental ceremony for rememberance day or veterans day affairs in north america.

But, then you'd have to care enough to read up on that and not try to somehow disparage the simple celebration of any veteran of any race, creed religion or orientation regardless of the date it is on the calendar simply because "you're offended" to get it

Good on ya Strome

Who is whining?   I just found it kinda sad.  I am not a veteran but I respect them and plan to as I will actually be in North America this weekend.   

How am I disparaging anyone by saying unified acknowledgement is better than divisive?   

I am not offended - just find this continual move away from traditions sad.   You don't.   Not a biggie.   We just differ.   

PS - pleased to see you and Strome on same page.   I knew eventually there would be a topic!

11 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Which one?   I think you now have more than one so probably hard to keep track.   To me, and call me old school for a young guy, but having one unified day to honour ALL veterans seems a great way to have a respectful and unifying moment for a country versus a series of pandering attempts at singling out certain groups for political favour.   

I just don't see how taking an additional day to acknowledge the contributions of aboriginal and Metis who served their country (many of which at a time when their country sure as &^@# wasn't serving them and actively trying to eradicate their culture) diminishes other veterans or divides the country. This is certainly an odd hill for you to die on from my point of view anyway. 

Also, if Canada is a shadow of its former self in your eyes for honoring veterans, woof, that's an ugly look for you Rob. 

Edited by HerrDrFunk
  • Upvote 2

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

I just don't see how taking an additional day to acknowledge the contributions of aboriginal and Metis who served their country (many of which at a time when their country sure as &^@# wasn't serving them and actively trying to eradicate their culture) diminishes other veterans or divides the country. This is certainly an odd hill for you to die on from my point of view anyway. 

What about a day then for every single other background?   The Dutch Canadians contribution was pretty important I understand.   What about those of Japanese Canadians - a day for them of Remembrance?...talk about people who certainly were not well-served by their own country at the time.    The list is long.

Is it not possible to educate people without implying all contributions were important versus the pandering?   

We see this differently.   I find dividing things less respectful of all versus raising spotlight on some.   

Cheers  :)

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Oh, it's Aboriginal Veterans Day.  People complaining about this??  Why again??

38 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Oh, it's Aboriginal Veterans Day.  People complaining about this??  Why again??

Why not single out every different ethnicity then that has veteran presence in Canada?   When you acknowledge all as a group you unite - when you single out you divide.   

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Toews said:

Not surprised that people complain about CRA employees being lazy and/or stupid. It's easier to blame the lady on the phone for your inability to follow instructions. 

Great assumption. I imagine you don't deal with cra as I'm sure you eran very little. Do yourself a favour and read some of the reports that have been conducted on cra employees.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Great assumption. I imagine you don't deal with cra as I'm sure you eran very little. Do yourself a favour and read some of the reports that have been conducted on cra employees.

Not really sure what "eran" means. 

I am just going to file this under 'nonsensical'.

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't know when you left Canada, but the National Aboriginal Veterans Day has been around since 1994. Why the sudden bitchfest? And are you so desperate to knock Trudeau that you'll blame him for things he has nothing to do with, without double checking first? 

51 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Careful, you're showing everyone how small of a man you are. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Lockout Casualty said:

I don't know when you left Canada, but the National Aboriginal Veterans Day has been around since 1994. Why the sudden bitchfest? And are you so desperate to knock Trudeau that you'll blame him for things he has nothing to do with, without double checking first? 

Yes. I'd say the answer to that question is definitely yes. This entire thread is pretty much proof of that....

"Peopletoba:rolleyes:

I know this sort of thing isn't really Trudeau's fault, but it's his administration now and this sort of thing irks me to no end:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ontario-couple-forced-to-return-daughter-to-nigerian-orphanage-because-canada-refused-to-help/ar-BBPuD1B?li=AAggFp5

Erin and John Nymann from Cambridge, Ont., love their six-year-old daughter, Favour.

But because of months of government inaction and a bureaucratic process immigration lawyers call "redundant," the couple was forced to return their daughter to the Nigerian orphanage where they adopted her nearly four months ago. Now the Nymanns are back in Canada, without their daughter, desperately pleading for someone to help them bring their little girl home.

“I don’t know who it’s harder on, us or her,” John said, wiping tears from his eyes.

“She became our daughter and we love her,” he said. “It’s tough as a father to have a little child slip out of your fingers and there’s nothing you can do for her … because of the slow bureaucratic process.”

This is no different in my mind than what's going on at the US-Mexico border.

Talk is cheap, Justin. Fix this.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Lockout Casualty said:

No bitchfest.    It has never had the focus it has had this year in my mind but perhaps in yours it has.

I am not desperate at all actually - thanks for projecting.   Trudeau and his team does something often enough to provide all the "knock" against his own short tenure as PM.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No bitchfest.    It has never had the focus it has had this year in my mind but perhaps in yours it has.

I am not desperate at all actually - thanks for projecting.   Trudeau and his team does something often enough to provide all the "knock" against his own short tenure as PM.

Ya know.

You really try hard to come off as impartial or as a centrist for not even living in the country but ya tend to fail in these instances.  Miserably.

You can't even own up to the fact that this specific recognition has been around since 94.  

Big

Fat

Nothing

Burger

So ya, a lil desperate

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Lockout Casualty said:

Careful, you're showing everyone how small of a man you are. 

The only little man is the ex Soviet.

Shouldn't you be responding in the Kavanaugh thread to the individual that pointed out how little you know?

Edited by Ryan Strome