The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Turkish major escalation in Syria

kurtis

3 minutes ago, kurtis said:

What do you guys think of this mess?? They will probably roll tanks across the border tomorrow. Hopefully Russia and SAA doesn't respond. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42759944

Not a chance Turkey's doing this without Russian approval. The Kurds in the north are rivals to Assad. The Russians and Turks have a joint interest in subduing them.

Israelis, Saudis, Iranians..potential for so many to get involved.

In my war starting? thread, mentioned this a coupla' days back. All these revelations coming out about "The Deep State". So I was concerned they'd ensure war starts some/any/every-where.

People at/near the top can get away with all kinds of shyte in times of war.

3 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Turkey is p*ssed off with their fellow NATO members in general and the US in particular and has been cozying up to both Russia and Iran.

Russia is backing this up all the way.  Putin wants the Anti-Assad forces/rebels destroyed.

What about the FSA that replace them if they do end up taking the area ? 

6 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

The russian and the Syrian Airforce have been bombing the crap out of them in idlib.. If they take Kurdish region, wont they just start bombing that area?? It seems the FSA is deeply mixed with HTS in Idlib.. 

6 minutes ago, kurtis said:

The russian and the Syrian Airforce have been bombing the crap out of them in idlib.. If they take Kurdish region, wont they just start bombing that area?? 

Turkey is using the FSA as a personal fighting force against the Kurds.  My guess would be that they'll dig in with the FSA and their own troops and hunt the Kurds down with ground troops while Russia does a share of the bombing.

4 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Been saying for a while Turkey should be tossed out of NATO.

Turkey has been building small arms and weapons for a while now. I doubt they'd even care at this point. They can buy from other nations (i.e. Russia, Czechs) for the things they can't build. 

21 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Turkey has been building small arms and weapons for a while now. I doubt they'd even care at this point. They can buy from other nations (i.e. Russia, Czechs) for the things they can't build. 

What if all the sudden down the road they have issues with Russia? Not being a NATO member could be an issue.

34 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

What if all the sudden down the road they have issues with Russia? Not being a NATO member could be an issue.

I think that may be sooner rather than later. I don't think Russia, Iran and specially Assad are too happy with this latest move on Turkey's part. Personally I think this is more than them going after Kurds and perhaps them trying to slowly move in on Syria and Assad now that everyone (Russia the US etc etc) is chasing ISIS to their end.

I don't know the entirety of the geo politics happening in the Middle East right now. With that said, how can Turkey attack the Kurds when they are US backed and in the middle of fighting ISIS? In their statement, they said they were only moving to attack "terrorists."

Is this a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation between Turkey/US/Russia, or is Erdogan finally showing his true colors in the fight against ISIS?

8 minutes ago, Blue Jay 22 said:

I don't know the entirety of the geo politics happening in the Middle East right now. With that said, how can Turkey attack the Kurds when they are US backed and in the middle of fighting ISIS? In their statement, they said they were only moving to attack "terrorists."

Is this a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" situation between Turkey/US/Russia, or is Erdogan finally showing his true colors in the fight against ISIS?

In ME with the global chess board, Israel's agenda has to also be considered.

Archived