The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Los Angeles Kings vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Lucic has had only 14 fights since being with the Oilers, McDavid has not been seriously injured since he and Maroon have been on the team. Being a deterrent isn't fighting every game, it not having team mates rag dolled or injured as often, maybe that speaks to the number of Canuck injuries, man games lost.

The Kings let up once they were losing by 3/4 goals. Still the threat of the power play did not prevent the hit, IMO it didn't look as if he was trying to paste Boeser, but he did hit him into the boards and in the playoffs it likely would have been harder and may not have drawn any more than a 2 minute minor and like I have posted when the Canucks lose like that, it is only one game.

Yes very dirty and I don't think anyone was aware that it had happened, in the last 2 minutes.

Exactly. It isn't about fighting only. If a player has cheap shot someone on your team. Said player should have to spend the rest of the game with his head on a swivel worried about his safety. 

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Lucic has had only 14 fights since being with the Oilers, McDavid has not been seriously injured since he and Maroon have been on the team. Being a deterrent isn't fighting every game, it not having team mates rag dolled or injured as often, maybe that speaks to the number of Canuck injuries, man games lost.

Quite a few of the Canucks injuries this season weren't the result of being manhandled and pummeled. Gudbranson's back spasms aren't a result of him being assaulted by players, neither was Tanev's loss of teeth. Horvat's injury was unfortunate, but was again the result of play, not being hit. Same with Sutter.

Personally, I would love to see more muscle on the team, with all the young players coming in. Benning made a play for Lucic when he was a UFA. He's shown interest in Evander Kane. He acquired Dorsett, who sadly is unable to play anymore. I'd prefer a more physical team, and I think it's on the horizon. I can see Benning going after some size in FA or trade, but not just a goon. The player will need to possess more than just one skill.

1 minute ago, TheGuardian_ said:

The Kings let up once they were losing by 3/4 goals. Still the threat of the power play did not prevent the hit, IMO it didn't look as if he was trying to paste Boeser, but he did hit him into the boards and in the playoffs it likely would have been harder and may not have drawn any more than a 2 minute minor and like have posted when the Canucks lose like that, it is only one game.

Lewis' hit was cheap, as was Brown's on Daniel. I remember Hutton steamrolling Brown last time the teams met, so it isn't all doom and gloom. If Gudbranson was on the ice when either of those hits happened, I could definitely see him taking umbrage, much like he did when Josh Anderson tried poking the puck from under Markstrom.

The team needs more aggressive players, for sure, but those players also need to be able to skate, pass, and sometimes score.

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team needs more aggressive players, for sure, but those players also need to be able to skate, pass, and sometimes score.

Well the team is so far down in scoring they might as well get the biggest, meanest, most "truculent" guys they can find and stand them in front of the other teams net if nothing else. The skating thing is no big deal, there are many good skaters in the AHL, just look at some of the Canuck AHL players. This is where this management group really failed, instead of trading for and bring in the likes of Larsen, Burmistrov, Vey, Etem, Clendening and trying to force Virtanen into being a player he is not and getting rid of Pedan, they should have been signing the biggest skaters they could and "developing" them.

Just look at what effect the gentle giant, Groot, had out there. He leveled guys without effort and got players off their games....and he wasn't mean, although this management group agreed with the idea of showing him how Pronger played.

In the KHL Groot is now one of the "mean" guys by their standards, also an all star and one of the youngest and highest scoring dmen in their league. The Canucks European scouts really did a good job, good on Gradin. BTW didn't Gradin get a promotion? 

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Well the team is so far down in scoring they might as well get the biggest, meanest, most "truculent" guys they can find and stand them in front of the other teams net if nothing else. The skating thing is no big deal, there are many good skaters in the AHL, just look at some of the Canuck AHL players. This is where this management group really failed, instead of trading for and bring in the likes of Larsen, Burmistrov, Vey, Etem, Clendening and trying to force Virtanen into being a player he is not and getting rid of Pedan, they should have been signing the biggest skaters they could and "developing" them.

The team needs more size and aggression for sure. The Pacific doesn't look to be getting any smaller. I'd like to see Kane signed, Gudbranson re-signed, Archibald given the chance to get a fourth line spot, and Benning trade for a player like Simmonds, who can skate, score, stand up for his team.

The reclamation projects were fine at the time, but with the absence of Dorsett, something has to be done to address that hole.

2 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Just look at what effect the gentle giant, Groot, had out there. He leveled guys without effort and got players off their games....and he wasn't mean, although this management group agreed with the idea of showing him how Pronger played.

In the KHL Groot is now one of the "mean" guys by their standards, also an all star and one of he youngest and highest scoring dmen in their league. The Canucks European scouts really did a good job, good on Gradin. BTW didn't Gradin get a promotion? 

Tryamkin had that effect on players because he is massive and hard to move. I'd love to see him return to the Canucks roster, and I have a feeling he will.

15 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The team needs more size and aggression for sure. The Pacific doesn't look to be getting any smaller. I'd like to see Kane signed, Gudbranson re-signed, Archibald given the chance to get a fourth line spot, and Benning trade for a player like Simmonds, who can skate, score, stand up for his team.

Kane is destined for LA. They will have the cap space at the TDL.

Guddy should get moved while his value might still be high, the longer he lanquishes here the less his value becomes except to THIS management group that can't afford to have more failures so he may be re-signed to a ridiculously long or expensive 'clause" contract to save face.

25 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The reclamation projects were fine at the time, but with the absence of Dorsett, something has to be done to address that hole.

Tryamkin had that effect on players because he is massive and hard to move. I'd love to see him return to the Canucks roster, and I have a feeling he will.

I agree. would love the team to get those players.

I remember his size destroying but Brad Richardsons leg and hip(?), Didn't look like much when they collided, Tryamkin is just that huge.

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I agree. would love the team to get those players.

I remember his size destroying but Brad Richardsons leg and hip(?), Didn't look like much when they collided, Tryamkin is just that huge.

Hate when a player is injured like that but he did take Benn off his game.

The Nucks should have a guy over there right now finding out what it will take, if they can waste 90 million on trying to maintain the status quo what is spending half a mil on having a guy over there daily insuring a return will/would be smooth.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Kane is destined for LA. They will have the cap space at the TDL.

Guddy should get moved while his value might still be high, the longer he lanquishes here the less his value becomes except to THIS management group that can't afford to have more failures so he may be re-signed to a ridiculously long or expensive 'clause" contract to save face.

You endlessly harp about the lack of pushback, and then say that Gudbranson should be moved......

Kane will be traded wherever he is traded, but doesn't have to re-sign with the team that traded for him at all. 

This point was made on the radio and I totally agree with it.

The Oilers have on each line:

Maroon

Lucic

Kassian

Khaira

...they are also 26th in the league (1 whole point ahead of the Canucks).

You can't have a team always lose their composure every time a player gets hit, either.  Teams will play into that as well.  Remember when the Canucks defended themselves during Tortorella's tenure?  We saw 7 minute 5 on 3's a few times.  Toughness is a desireable trait, sure, but it needs to be proactive not reactive.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

This point was made on the radio and I totally agree with it.

The Oilers have on each line:

Maroon

Lucic

Kassian

Khaira

...they are also 26th in the league (1 whole point ahead of the Canucks).

You can't have a team always lose their composure every time a player gets hit, either.  Teams will play into that as well.  Remember when the Canucks defended themselves during Tortorella's tenure?  We saw 7 minute 5 on 3's a few times.  Toughness is a desireable trait, sure, but it needs to be proactive not reactive.

Apple's and oranges. We hardly ever pushback. Oilers issues aren't the players you mentioned. Rather a team that refuses to play the right way. They aren't losing because they have more gritty players than us. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

You endlessly harp about the lack of pushback, and then say that Gudbranson should be moved......

Kane will be traded wherever he is traded, but doesn't have to re-sign with the team that traded for him at all. 

Guds should be moved if he doesn't want to extend or sign reasonably. I think most of us want him here if he wants to be here and for reasonable dollars. 

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Tryamkin was one of the few defenders in years that actually made the Getzlaf and Benns of the world think twice and keep their heads up in our zone. I miss him a lot. 

19 minutes ago, rekker said:

Apple's and oranges. We hardly ever pushback. Oilers issues aren't the players you mentioned. Rather a team that refuses to play the right way. They aren't losing because they have more gritty players than us. 

Sure, but I’d be surprised to see an argument definitively pointing to a lack of grittiness causing Canuck losses.

Id honestly be fine with a combo of Bo/Gaunce/Virt/Dowd/Sutter/Guddy/DelZotto/Hutton/Biega establishig some committee/team toughness this year before we go out and add anyone.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

We should be talking about that sweat dangle Horvat pulled on Doughty. This young man is a game changer and has been missed big time. Horvat is also the type of player who needs no one to fight his battles.

And honestly as much as it’s nice to stand up for one another Brock isn’t some dainty Nylander princess who needs to be rescued.

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Sure, but I’d be surprised to see an argument definitively pointing to a lack of grittiness causing Canuck losses.

Id honestly be fine with a combo of Bo/Gaunce/Virt/Dowd/Sutter/Guddy/DelZotto/Hutton/Biega establishig some committee/team toughness this year before we go out and add anyone.

That's just it. We don't even have team toughness. Not sure how to gauge it with stats and analytics. You need some skill on a team and some grit. Are you saying there is enough grit on this team? You watched the Winnipeg game? Oilers game? Hit on Brock? We were gritty enough?

47 minutes ago, rekker said:

Guds should be moved if he doesn't want to extend or sign reasonably. I think most of us want him here if he wants to be here and for reasonable dollars. 

Agreed. If he's not interested in being here, or is looking for $6M, Benning has to trade him. 

Archived