The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Yes or no to the Sedin’s next year?

Toyotasfan

Yes or No to 1 more year of the Sedins  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the Sedin’s next year?

• Yes - 1 more year
    • No - time to retire

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/27/2018 at 07:00 AM

26 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Giving this a bit more thought, taking nostalgia out of the equation, I would be on board with changing the identity of this team. For years the Canucks have been led by the Sedins, two Swedes who rely on finesse and skill, rather than speed and grit. The Canucks have been a fairly soft team for a long time and it would be nice to change that. LIke when I think of the Kings or Ducks, I cringe every time we play them, because they're a tough, big, physical team that beats up on opponents. Boeser gets cross checked into the boards from behind. No reaction from the Canucks. Our friggen star rookie gets a cheap shot against him and no one ramps up the intensity. Brock had to do it himself by scoring minutes later. It's pathetic. This management seems to be more focused on respecting the Sedins as individuals than they are making this team harder to play against. Why do we need them? As mentors? They could re-sign Vanek, and they still have Gagner, Sutter and Eriksson up front. Horvat looks like he's already got a vet's mentality as well.

I want the Canucks to be feared. Tough task with the Sedins still leading this team though.   

This is what I have been saying for a long time now. We were that team years ago when we were lead by Linden. That type of play changed with Nazzy as Captain and then Hank. I want us to be that team again because no matter if we lost or not, I knew the team gave %100 EVERY GAME! That was entertaining. 

Its like the team got extremely talented and so they did not need to play %100 every night , and they didn't!. Also, that kind of play continued for decades now and last night  was a perfect example. So tired of that and we are  overdue for a change in the culture now and not 1 or 2 years from now.

So, some are saying we need to keep the Sedins to remain competitive, and to give the "kids" a winning environment. The Canucks have finished near the bottom the last few years with the Sedins at the helm. They are losing with the Sedins. Wish they'd try something different.

7 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Big yes for me.

10 years ago we had mats Sundin come in for a mere 3 months, yet this 3 months of sundins leadership and mentorship took the Sedins, to the next level from your average 1st line players to bondified superstars.  ALEX burrows Ryan Kesler ALEX from 3rd line tweeners to legit 2nd line players.  Edler and bieksa among others who said sundin make a huge impact to them.

They will groom the next generation of canucks, hopefully dhalen dhalin and pettersson next year.

Is that the Matt Sundin who was the 1st o/a pick 6'5" and 240 lbs The guy with 1093 penalty mins and 1349 points - yeah good comparison. What exactly do you think he taught the Sedins?

It certainly wasn't this.

or this

14 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

This is what I have been saying for a long time now. We were that team years ago when we were lead by Linden. That type of play changed with Nazzy as Captain and then Hank. I want us to be that team again because no matter if we lost or not, I knew the team gave %100 EVERY GAME! That was entertaining. 

Its like the team got extremely talented and so they did not need to play %100 every night , and they didn't!. Also, that kind of play continued for decades now and last night  was a perfect example. So tired of that and we are  overdue for a change in the culture now and not 1 or 2 years from now.

Exactly. Benning even said it himself "You need to have a B game when you meet the LA's and Anaheims if they decide to try to win by bullying you" The Sedins don't have a B game in them. Almost all the great hockey Captains did.

1 minute ago, alfstonker said:

Exactly. Benning even said it himself "You need to have a B game when you meet the LA's and Anaheims if they decide to try to win by bullying you" The Sedins don't have a B game in them. Almost all the great hockey Captains did.

And 2011 was a great example of this. If only we had a B game. 

45 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i agree that we need to move on from the sedins. as a fan, that would be at the end of the season. 

from a team point of view, i'm trying to determine who i have that can not only score their points but insulate the younger players that might make this team next year. 

can they handle the many loses that can tear away their confidence? the sedins still have value to the young players and leading them in how to handle those games. 

when bo, sutter and baertschi were injured this season, where would we be without the sedins. 

we don't know if any of the young guys can come in and succeed right away. if they can than we won't need the sedins. 

my fear is without them, will we be forced to play young guys, who are not ready.

having pettersson, dahlin and gaudette make the grade next season would be great. 

if benning can find a couple of diamonds in the rough, then great. maybe i'll win the lottery.

maybe gaudette and dahlen can replace them this year. maybe not.

Why not look at it this way Joe. The Sedins drop out and everyone presently in the team moves up. We have seen even Granlund put up good numbers when on the top line.

That way you create spaces in the bottom 6 for either rookies, players from Utica, PTOs or UFA's. There are often good kids like Stetcher or indeed Tanev who are undrafted. 

We can't let the thought of injuries influence our selection when the Sedins have not stopped us losing and ending up in the bottom 5. The truth is we have no idea if we had started off the season with any pair of Scotty Upshall, Jagr, Stafford, Verteeg, Kunitz or Radulov where we would be now. I would say any of them would likely put more points on the board AND be better in defence.

Without them we have $14M to spend on 2 short term replacements.

9 minutes ago, SuitnTie said:

I think it comes down to the mentor ship they provide - in that sense yes absolutely we need it. Now, the money they want is a different factor. If they want market value I wouldn’t bring them back. 

If "all you can bring to the table" is "mentorship", then I think its time to hang up the skates.

14 minutes ago, SuitnTie said:

I think it comes down to the mentor ship they provide - in that sense yes absolutely we need it. Now, the money they want is a different factor. If they want market value I wouldn’t bring them back. 

What's wrong with Vanek, Sutter or Manny supplying mentoring? What do we know about what the value of mentoring by the Sedins has been? DD was a great mentor for Bo.

I am actually happier with our rookies being mentored by someone who doesn't allow an opponent to speed bag his face.

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

What's wrong with Vanek, Sutter or Manny supplying mentoring? What do we know about what the value of mentoring by the Sedins has been? DD was a great mentor for Bo.

I am actually happier with our rookies being mentored by someone who doesn't allow an opponent to speed bag his face.

In Bo's 1st intermission interview last night he said that they needed to play harder then they did in the first. They did actually play harder in the 2nd that even Garrett mentioned it. Not sure if the Sedins had anything to do with that and I am thinking that it was probably, ALL BO! Mentoring?

25 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

So, some are saying we need to keep the Sedins to remain competitive, and to give the "kids" a winning environment. The Canucks have finished near the bottom the last few years with the Sedins at the helm. They are losing with the Sedins. Wish they'd try something different.

i hope you didn't glean that from my post because i never said any of that. 

the sedin's value to this team is suppling points while leading the team in how to handle all situations, when winning and losing. losing not only sucks but can demoralizing. 

if someone steps up and takes that part of their game, then fine. i want to know, who that is? i'm sure management want to know who that is too. 

i'll be happy when they are not needed anymore. is that now or after next year, i don't know but i'm sure the canucks will figure it out. 

two options...the fan's point of view and the team's plan for their rebuild? 

11 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Again, alfstonker, you've released another zinger. This one made me laugh.

2 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

Henrik even said if they came back it wouldn't be because of mentoring, and wouldn't be about the money. It's obviously not about winning a Cup either, as their chance in VAN is slim to none. The only positive I see is they can each still put up around 40-50 points in a season. 

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

Tryamkin signed a 3 year KHL deal. I don't see him going anywhere until it's over. There's is no transfer agreement with the KHL. Plus after reading what he had to say about our 'smelly drug city', I'm not so sure he has any interest in ever returning.

KHL teams will accept a buyout. This management group should have known that the Tryamkin's didn't like where they lived and helped find other accommodations. This time around there should be no problem.

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i hope you didn't glean that from my post because i never said any of that. 

the sedin's value to this team is suppling points while leading the team in how to handle all situations, when winning and losing. losing not only sucks but can demoralizing. 

if someone steps up and takes that part of their game, then fine. i want to know, who that is? i'm sure management want to know who that is too. 

i'll be happy when they are not needed anymore. is that now or after next year, i don't know but i'm sure the canucks will figure it out. 

two options...the fan's point of view and the team's plan for their rebuild? 

No Joe, I wasn't using your post or anything, but I realize that the Canucks are still a losing team with them as leaders. I'm not sure how this is helping the prospects. Even Boeser seems to give sole praise to Vanek, and it's obvious those two are having fun and producing. The Sedins are legends and future HOFers, no doubt about it. But they have to stop trying to build the team around them. Signing Eriksson to a ridiculously long (and expensive) contract because he had some international success with them. And then continuously trying to find them the perfect winger.  

1 minute ago, smithers joe said:

how soon we forget. when sedin was getting speed bagged, the team was on orders from gillis to not react to stuff, but to make them pay on the power play. ours was really good that year. the ref's didn't get that memo. not the sedin's fault.

Gillis shouldn't have been issuing orders over AV's head, so I don't quite buy that.

Yes the officials were pathetic and, surprise, continue to be, but standing there and taking five to seven rabbit punches from a rat is the last thing a player should do in a playoff game. Daniel should have responded with some Viking ferocity, instead he looked at the ref for some help.

He should have known that the official was being given a greasy one in the backdoor by Jacobs, and taken care of business himself. Relying on an official in the NHL to do their job correctly in the playoffs is something a rookie does.

From what I have heard, through the grapevine, that moment sucked the wind out of the Canucks sails big time. It was a turning point, and not in a good way.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

No Joe, I wasn't using your post or anything, but I realize that the Canucks are still a losing team with them as leaders. I'm not sure how this is helping the prospects. Even Boeser seems to give sole praise to Vanek, and it's obvious those two are having fun and producing. The Sedins are legends and future HOFers, no doubt about it. But they have to stop trying to build the team around them. Signing Eriksson to a ridiculously long (and expensive) contract because he had some international success with them. And then continuously trying to find them the perfect winger.  

they are not building the game around them but using them to stem the tide until the new core can take over that mantle. 

as i've  said as a fan the wish is to move on from them but from team point of view, it may be, bringing them back for one more season. we will find out. they have a plan, that they said they are sticking to. we don't even know if JB will be GM next year. a new GM might decide to move bo and boeser for more help. 

Daniel must've been in shock with Marchand not playing the right way. Imagine his horror! He had no idea how to respond. "Do I shove him back? No, that's not playing the right way. Ref, can you give me a hand here? This short mouthy guy is in my face and I don't know how to stop him."

Archived