The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC to raise minimum wage to $15.20 by 2021

goalie13

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Pretty sure I was hired to remove asbestos at one point, and paid a hell of a lot less than the company’s actual employees would’ve had to pay them. 

I was, in essence, a TFW. 

Oh man. Brutal.  No implemented safety I'm sure too....

On 2/8/2018 at 2:22 PM, Warhippy said:

Literally nothing that wasn't already announced by both parties pre-election.

Not a big deal, at least the increases are gradual.

And for anyone who thinks raising minimum wage is entirely bad, if your business cannot survive unless you're paying people the bare minimum that's not a wage issue, that's a you issue

Not always, it can be a market issue too.   Farms and such just barely scrape by.   If the government would remove artificial marketing boards and allow true competition and prices to be set by market forces, then it would be fine.   I think the largest impact will be to restaurant owners, however, and that seems to be a tough business given how often they open/close but as long as they can pass the increases on in their pricing, I guess it shouldn't be too bad.   

21 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I work with youth/ at risk youth all day every day - giving them skills to earn income the rest of their lives.....

My post secondary schooling includes bach and post grad degree with course work done in 3 provinces..  

Personally i liked UBC but found the students to be a bit less collegial ..... U of A was  quite enjoyable.    Enjoyed my time in Quebec and if i could do it again i would have completed more of my studies in eastern canada.      Worked very hard to pay for more studies.....  worked in cedar mills, pipelining,  berry processing plants, building condos, a campground - you get the picture.  Not a day of UI in my life. 

I have been lucky financially.... pretty set for retirement already....  Now i am lucky i get to give back to help others....

I realize now that its not what i own....  our time on earth is limited. I will be remembered and proud of what i can give to others less fortunate than me. 

Raising the minimum wage will move adults out of poverty  - move parents out of poverty - move families out of poverty.... move children out of poverty.

We need to break the poverty cycle in BC .... minimum wages rises done slowly are a start.

Also, i would love to see welfare rates increased.   Welfare rates  and for the disabled   in BC have not risen significantly in 20 years. 

Very clear cut to me. 

Clear cut to you maybe, but that's only if you look at just the positives.

When the minimum wage is lower in other provinces and businesses here fail due to not being able to keep the business afloat due to the higher wages, don't be surprised when people pack up and leave this province. Don't be surprised when unemployment rates increase and you have more kids to help rather than less.

25 minutes ago, The Lock said:

When the minimum wage is lower in other provinces and businesses here fail due to not being able to keep the business afloat due to the higher wages, don't be surprised when people pack up and leave this province. Don't be surprised when unemployment rates increase and you have more kids to help rather than less.

How does someone who works with kids all day not know that raising minimum wage directly affects youth unemployment ?

1 hour ago, Dral said:

How does someone who works with kids all day not know that raising minimum wage directly affects youth unemployment ?

True.  Raising minimum wages puts money in youths wallets 

more consumer spending will create more jobs

good point. Thx

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Businesses will just get smarter you pay a few bucks an hour and expect more work out of them then layoff the other person.

Worked for a few companies that would have been under minimum wage.this will hurt temp companies alot as they usually pay just above minimum wage.

Thanks to the liberals my first job was $6hr. That was below minimum wage by two dollars.

1 minute ago, Dral said:

hahahahaha omg, thanks, that was a good one

I will give you a few..  but eventually you are going to have to do your own research....

Search Results

Why a $15 minimum wage is good for business - Macleans.ca

www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/why-a-15-minimum-wage-is-good-for-...

Jun 2, 2017 - Boost the minimum wage and you boost the economy from the bottom up, writes economist Armine Yalnizyan. That means more demand for what businesses have ... higher service needs due to population aging. We've got to spur change, and a substantially higher minimum wagewill surely spur change.

Why America Needs a $15 Minimum Wage | Economic Policy Institute

www.epi.org/publication/why-america-needs-a-15-minimum-wage/
Apr 26, 2017 - ... A $15 minimum wage by 2024 would generate $144 billion in higher wages for workers and would also benefit their communities. Because lower-paid workers spend much of their extra earnings, this injection of wages will help stimulate the economy and spur greater business activity and job growth.5 ...

7 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I will give you a few..  but eventually you are going to have to do your own research....

Search Results

Why a $15 minimum wage is good for business - Macleans.ca

www.macleans.ca/economy/economicanalysis/why-a-15-minimum-wage-is-good-for-...

Jun 2, 2017 - Boost the minimum wage and you boost the economy from the bottom up, writes economist Armine Yalnizyan. That means more demand for what businesses have ... higher service needs due to population aging. We've got to spur change, and a substantially higher minimum wagewill surely spur change.

Why America Needs a $15 Minimum Wage | Economic Policy Institute

www.epi.org/publication/why-america-needs-a-15-minimum-wage/
Apr 26, 2017 - ... A $15 minimum wage by 2024 would generate $144 billion in higher wages for workers and would also benefit their communities. Because lower-paid workers spend much of their extra earnings, this injection of wages will help stimulate the economy and spur greater business activity and job growth.5 ...

I'm sorry but I don't believe for a second that you've taken an economics class in post secondary, I don't even think you have a post secondary degree and I'm seriously doubting that you work with at risk youth.

You're like that person who goes on webMD for 5 minutes and then claims you're a doctor.

32 minutes ago, Dral said:

I'm sorry but I don't believe for a second that you've taken an economics class in post secondary, I don't even think you have a post secondary degree and I'm seriously doubting that you work with at risk youth.

You're like that person who goes on webMD for 5 minutes and then claims you're a doctor.

Great comeback....

Sad when you lose a discussion you have to resort to insults...

Just because i attended  a great university UBC and you attended  a pretty weak school that accepts anyone in U of C.

Not need to  resort to insults...  

Why don't you apply for a post grad degree to UBC ,  you might get accepted this time.  Hint apply as  a mature students so they don't look at your poor highschool  marks this time.... 

Don't say i never tried to help you... Your welcome. 

Math problem for mr.econ @kingofsurrey

A business owner makes $110/hr profit and has 7 employees currently each making $10/hr.  That means the owner is taking home $40/hr. (which roughly equals to the owner making 80k a year, that's a reasonable business)  What happens to that guys business, when the gov't forces the min wage to now be $15/hr?

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Math problem for mr.econ @kingofsurrey

A business owner makes $110/hr profit and has 7 employees currently each making $10/hr.  That means the owner is taking home $40/hr. (which roughly equals to the owner making 80k a year, that's a reasonable business)  What happens to that guys business, when the gov't forces the min wage to now be $15/hr?

That easy. Thanks for thinking of me.

Simple

The owner and every one of his competitors in similar business rises prices 10 %.

Then the owner makes 150.00 / hr   in profit.   7 employes at 15 per.....    That allows the owner to make  45 per hour....

Raise for employees... Raise for owner...

Everyone benefits..

Plus the 7 employers now have more discretionary money so they also decide to shop at the business....

Owner  sales and profit go up more still....

Thanks , that was too simple.  Give me a trickier one next time.

53 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great comeback....

Sad when you lose a discussion you have to resort to insults...

Just because i attended  a great university UBC and you attended  a pretty weak school that accepts anyone in U of C.

Not need to  resort to insults...  

Why don't you apply for a post grad degree to UBC ,  you might get accepted this time.  Hint apply as  a mature students so they don't look at your poor highschool  marks this time.... 

Don't say i never tried to help you... Your welcome. 

I didn't go to U of C...

keep up with your stories

1 minute ago, Dral said:

I didn't go to U of C...

keep up with your stories

No worries.. never to late to apply to ubc.  I hear once you are over 25 yrs old your highschool marks are not considered...

That may help you get in. 

I went straight in to UBC and lived in res on 5th Dene in Totem.  Good times.. but i had pretty solid highschool marks mind you. ...

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

No worries.. never to late to apply to ubc.  I hear once you are over 25 yrs old your highschool marks are not considered...

That may help you get in. 

I should go to a school where you can learn how to make $150/hr profit instead of $110/hr by raising prices 10%...

6 minutes ago, Dral said:

I should go to a school where you can learn how to make $150/hr profit instead of $110/hr by raising prices 10%...

Maybe if your employees are paid more they will sell more units...

I am getting real tired of educating you for free....   I am going to have to charge you economics tutoring fees ? Would 40.00 per hour be too much...

Our first lesson will be on   Kennesian Economics.... I feel this is an area that you could grasp rather quickly....

Got to go now.  American Pickers is on. I love that show.   Supply and Demand in action.   

20 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

That easy. Thanks for thinking of me.

Simple

The owner and every one of his competitors in similar business rises prices 10 %.

Then the owner makes 150.00 / hr   in profit.   7 employes at 15 per.....    That allows the owner to make  45 per hour....

Nope, because of competition it means you are competing on price, there for being able to keep your prices low means more people are going to shop at your store.  Businesses are smart, so instead of raising prices they find better ways to cut expenses.  That includes cutting the employee expense.  Like instead of hiring a hostess, they make a waiter sit people, or instead of hiring a dishwasher, they make the cooks clean up.  So they turn there workforce from 7 to only 5.

https://www.thestar.com/business/economy/2018/01/03/minimum-wage-increases-to-result-in-60000-fewer-jobs-by-2019-bank-of-canada.html

And then the large business get even more creative and start to include automation, which allows them hire even less of those over paid employees

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/21/technology/inside-amazon-go-a-store-of-the-future.html

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-23/mcdonalds-replacing-2500-human-cashiers-digital-kiosks-here-its-math

Raise for employees... Raise for owner...

Everyone benefits..

Even in your scenario, not everyone benefits because now instead of your groceries only costing $90 a month, they now cost $120.  Your rent also gets raised because the owners know you can now afford it and everyones wants to make more profit because all costs have gone up.

Plus the 7 employers now have more discretionary money so they also decide to shop at the business....

Except they don't because things cost more.  you just pointed out that the owners would raise prices,  I can 100% guarantee you dropped out of UBC......Remember just because you took a field trip to UBC in high school, it doesn't actually mean you went there... 

Honestly you are in desperate need of some education.  If you want, i would be willing you help you.

Archived