The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Oilers trade Brandon Davidson to Islanders for 2019 3rd-round pick

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Are you slow?  You understand we have a farm system and an ability to acquire disposable players 

If you're a playoff team with $4M in cap space, you're gonna use that for guys like Gagner and Dowd right? RIGHT??

3 hours ago, Provost said:

Biega for a 3rd... Hutton for a 2nd and a prospect... Vanek for a 2nd and a 5th... Gaunce for a 3rd... Del Zotto for a 2nd... Dowd for a 4th... Gagner for a B Prospect... Let's clear the decks for some other guys to get some development minutes :) 

We have a GM who has a main skill of running an amateur draft and he is one of the best in the business at that specific thing, we need 20-25 picks in the next two years.  Most of our players can be replaced in the offseason and try a different mix of kids and veterans.

I'd be very surprised if the Canucks managed to get 3rd rounders for Biega or Gaunce, or a 4th for Dowd.

It's also quite rare to be able to pull off seven trades at once, even if those are spread out between the deadline and the draft. If these guys are expendable like you say, it's not especially likely that the Canucks will be able to find seven trade partners who are willing to give up assets for them, especially the fringe players I mentioned. There's only so much market demand that one GM can exploit, let alone 30 others.

I don't mean to say they shouldn't try to convert some of their current roster players into draft picks, but you shouldn't expect to get something like 7 or 8 draft picks back all at once.

19 minutes ago, Baer. said:

If you're a playoff team with $4M in cap space, you're gonna use that for guys like Gagner and Dowd right? RIGHT??

Look at the title of the thread before you get your panties in a knot.  Someone just spent a 3rd round pick AND $1.5 million on a waiver wire player who is a 7/8 D.

Cap hit is pro-rated now, it isn't much more than replacement cost for whoever would be bumped out of the roster.  That is how math works.

13 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

I'd be very surprised if the Canucks managed to get 3rd rounders for Biega or Gaunce, or a 4th for Dowd.

It's also quite rare to be able to pull off seven trades at once, even if those are spread out between the deadline and the draft. If these guys are expendable like you say, it's not especially likely that the Canucks will be able to find seven trade partners who are willing to give up assets for them, especially the fringe players I mentioned. There's only so much market demand that one GM can exploit, let alone 30 others.

I don't mean to say they shouldn't try to convert some of their current roster players into draft picks, but you shouldn't expect to get something like 7 or 8 draft picks back all at once.

I don't actually expect ALL those trades to happen.  Just that the market seems to be saying that is about their value and we should be doing everything we can to get in on some of that action.

We should also be trying to horn in on one of the bigger trades where someone needs to clear some cap space in order to make room for an acquisition. (a la Erhoff)

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don't actually expect ALL those trades to happen.  Just that the market seems to be saying that is about their value.

Trades for Hutton, Vanek, Gagner, and Del Zotto are worth exploring for that kind of value (although I still see those returns as being a tad optimistic). As I mentioned, though, I don't see the other Dowd, Gaunce, or Biega having any significant trade value.

4 hours ago, rekker said:

How the frik is he worth a third?

what goes around.

The Isles feasted on the Coil - to the tune of Matt Barzal and Anthony Beauvillier for....Griffen Reinhart lol.

The Coil also dealt Justin Schultz for a 3rd   Got a 3rd for a former 1st overall.

They needed a win.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

what goes around.

The Isles feasted on the Coil - to the tune of Matt Barzal and Anthony Beauvillier for....Griffen Reinhart lol.

The Coil also dealt Justin Schultz for a 3rd   Got a 3rd for a former 1st overall.

They needed a win.

Man. Fans bitch about what we gave up for Guds..... A first and a second for Reinhart. Good grief . 

Archived