The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Oilers trade Brandon Davidson to Islanders for 2019 3rd-round pick

15 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Any GM who views a 2019 3rd like a 4th or 5th in 2018 is a tool. The next year always comes. You have treat it like a third. 

It's easier to move because it doesn't impact you away sure. That pick doesn't lose value because it's next years pick.  Anyone using that as justification is only fooling themselves.

It’s an interesting market inefficiency for sure. GMs seem to really undervalue picks from future drafts compared to current years. I’ve always been curious how many picks a team could actually secure if they traded their entire slate from a current year’s draft for picks in the following year or two.

EDIT: It would be really interesting if a team moved most of their picks one year, and maybe doubled up the return in overall volume and position for the next year, and then targeted draft re-entries (ie: second year eligibles who were passed over—which draft analytics clearly demonstrated to be undervalued and a market inefficiency very much worth exploiting) in the following year’s draft. 

36 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

haha overreact much. All Im saying is that it doesn't hurt Benning to be making trades for next years draft if he's going to be getting better picks. Im not saying he's not doing anything but that he should be aiming for best value. Trading guys like Hutton, Biega, Del Zotto, Vanek, Dowd, granlund aren't going to hurt our future core and only add to it. No matter what we get back.

Devil's advocate here... you'd be happy if we traded Grandlund for a 5th?  Or Del Zotto for a 6th?  Or Vanek for future considerations?  

By all means, if you can get value for a fringe player then go for it but none of us know what's being offered for any given player... it very well may just not be worth it at the end of the day, and as has been pointed out recently you set precedence of being easy to work over if you let assets go for too little.  

The Oilers must have been the only team that submitted a claim when Montreal placed him on waivers or any other team that placed a claim on him no longer had an interest in him. Islanders obviously had no interest when he was placed on waivers but now value him as a 3rd round pick. Seems strange.

From the CBA:

(b) A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first 82 ARTICLE 13 13.21-13.23 offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refuse

As a Canuck fan it is depressing to see these fringe NHL players constantly going for 3rd round picks. Why can't our GM cut the cord with our guys and move them out for some draft picks?

Hutton- Worth a pair of 3rd's? Or is his 2.8m cap hit next year a deterrant?

MDZ- 2nd round pick? Or 3rd and 4th?

Biega- 5th round pick

Dowd- Replaced by Gaudette I assume, maybe he gets a late pick?

Vanek- God he should be worth a 2nd and a pick but the leauge values him like he is trash so maybe a 3rd and 5th?

we should be able to get some picks for at least a couple of the guys mentioned above.

Still am shocked at what a 3rd round gets though, not that the 3rd rounder is much of a guarantee in this league but you can still package picks at the draft to move up to get guys you want

4 minutes ago, Yotes said:

As a Canuck fan it is depressing to see these fringe NHL players constantly going for 3rd round picks. Why can't our GM cut the cord with our guys and move them out for some draft picks?

Hutton- Worth a pair of 3rd's? Or is his 2.8m cap hit next year a deterrant?

MDZ- 2nd round pick? Or 3rd and 4th?

Biega- 5th round pick

Dowd- Replaced by Gaudette I assume, maybe he gets a late pick?

Vanek- God he should be worth a 2nd and a pick but the leauge values him like he is trash so maybe a 3rd and 5th?

we should be able to get some picks for at least a couple of the guys mentioned above.

Still am shocked at what a 3rd round gets though, not that the 3rd rounder is much of a guarantee in this league but you can still package picks at the draft to move up to get guys you want

If JB got a third for a fringe dman we picked up on waivers just months ago I would be jumping for joy. Snow is a clown. Not sure how he keeps his job . 

2 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

but doesnt mean that davidson is a FRIK ....this was my intention ..i dont give a poo about snow 

Commenting on how a fringe dman available on waivers just months ago for free is now worth a third is worth a "frik" moment. I didn't call Davidson a frik. I said how is he worth a frikking third. 

16 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

The Oilers must have been the only team that submitted a claim when Montreal placed him on waivers or any other team that placed a claim on him no longer had an interest in him. Islanders obviously had no interest when he was placed on waivers but now value him as a 3rd round pick. Seems strange.

From the CBA:

(b) A Player who has been acquired by Waiver claim shall not be Traded to another Club until the termination of Playoffs of the season in which he was acquired unless he is first 82 ARTICLE 13 13.21-13.23 offered on the same terms to the Club(s) that entered a claim when Waivers were requested originally and the offer has been refuse

I wondered that as well. Must have been the only team.

Lucky for the oilers, on the other hand it's another nail in Bergeven's coffin. Basically threw away a 3rd two months ago.

13 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

From the CBA:

Also to think Montreal could've gotten a 3rd for Davidson instead of a 5th for Jerabek.

Maybe NYI is trying to drive the trade market up making it harder for teams around them to acquire players to strengthen their positions. With the way the Isles have fleeced the Oilers, I have to think there some possibility here that Snow is no fool.

59 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

I thought picks were like gold though

That's only when it comes to other GM's negotiating with Benning. Then it's them trying to do "hockey tradez" 

Picks are like gold my ass. Vanek, Hutton, Biega, Dowd, whoever needs to be offloaded for 2018/2019 picks 

wake up benning 

1 hour ago, Bitter Melon said:

So did Kessel. The important thing is catching it early. Remember to give your boys a fondle every now and then boys.

Like any guy needs to be reminded to self examine his nuts on a regular basis.  Trust me, mine get a thorough grapple at every opportunity.  I'm thinking of getting a third hand transplanted on so that I can grope myself when carrying heavy objects!!

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Biega for a 3rd... Hutton for a 2nd and a prospect... Vanek for a 2nd and a 5th... Gaunce for a 3rd... Del Zotto for a 2nd... Dowd for a 4th... Gagner for a B Prospect... Let's clear the decks for some other guys to get some development minutes :) 

We have a GM who has a main skill of running an amateur draft and he is one of the best in the business at that specific thing, we need 20-25 picks in the next two years.  Most of our players can be replaced in the offseason and try a different mix of kids and veterans.

Sure, then the Canucks won't even have a full roster. Genius.

Come on JB hopefully the market stays this strong now is a good time to sell high on Baertschi, Vanek, MDZ/Hutton.

Finish the season with

Virtanen Bo Boeser

Loui Sutter Gagner

Sedin Sedin Goldy

Archi Dowd Boucher/Gaunce

Sprinkle in some reps for... Molino, Labate, etc ... 

Archived