The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Another 1st round 2018 draft pick

Trying to think of ways to prise another 1st round pick from someone. Feel free to add your ideas on other trades that could secure another first!

Any chance MIN bites on this?

To MIN:

Baer (RFA signs at about $2.5m)

VAN 2018 3rd

To VAN:

MIN 2018 1st

Ennis ($4.6m for 1 more year)

Ennis has been a healthy scratch for much of his time with MIN. Has almost nothing to offer them but his anaemic offence at $4.6m! Imagine Ericksson with no defense...

Baer is much better fit for MIN who is in a ‘win now’ mode. Has twice the offence of Ennis, is younger, with a way better all round game. MIN save about $2m in cap which may be very useful in securing UFAs at 2019 TDL for a SC push next season.

I like Baer, and he is good insurance until our young F prospects such as Petterson, Dahlen, Lind, Goldy prove themselves as top 6 NHL impact players. However, the 2018 draft, deep with D, is the right time for JB to take some risks with a view to securing multiple D prospects that can hopefully join the big club in 2-3 years.

Assuming standings stay pat, MIN 2018 1st would be a 23rd overall. Could net us Jett Woo, Ryan Merkley, Rasmus Sandin or K’Andre Miller...

This was Fletcher this February: 

He made it very clear that the team’s first-round draft pick this summer “wasn’t in play” this season after he traded a first-round pick to the Arizona Coyotes last season to acquire Martin Hanzal and Ryan White.

“We took (the first-round pick) away from (our scouts) last season — I did,” Fletcher said. “It was important for them to have a first-round pick (this season).”

Their group is ageing and some of their players will be UFAs in a few years and might elect to walk so they need to start building for the future.  They don't want to be in the situation where they fall off a cliff in a couple of years.  Fletcher admits that he has traded far too many picks away and needs to get players in their system.  

12 minutes ago, mll said:

He made it very clear that the team’s first-round draft pick this summer “wasn’t in play” this season after he traded a first-round pick to the Arizona Coyotes last season to acquire Martin Hanzal and Ryan White.

“We took (the first-round pick) away from (our scouts) last season — I did,” Fletcher said. “It was important for them to have a first-round pick (this season).”

Their group is ageing and some of their players will be UFAs in a few years and might elect to walk so they need to start building for the future.  They don't want to be in the situation where they fall off a cliff in a couple of years.  Fletcher admits that he has traded far too many picks away and needs to get players in their system.  

Boom shut down.

12 minutes ago, mll said:

But in OP's defence, and otherwise not to be a massive dbag. 

My other question du jour — what the heck happened to Marc Bergevin? In February, the Habs GM said he wouldn’t trade Sergachev.

“I won’t create a hole just to file another one,” he said at the time.

Then again he also said last year he wasn’t shopping P.K. Subban and well … did I just see his nose grow an inch? Chuckle, chuckle.

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/what-the-puck-canadiens-gm-marc-bergevin-still-needs-two-centres

1 hour ago, NHL'er said:

Their owner Craig Leopold was not happy for trading the pick last year.  He said he did give his agreement but bitterly regretted the decision.  Just a few months before he was talking about how they had not yet built the team to win it all and was saying that their weakness is size.  A bit of an antiquated way of thinking but he is the owner.  

He was looking forward to their prospects finally making the team.  They brought up Kunin at the TDL but he suffered a season ending injury and Greenway just signed and is playing now.  

They have traded away too many picks since 2013 especially in the first 3 rounds.  The Suter injury is very serious - they need to find high end players for their team down the road.  It takes a long time to develop players.  

The Tavares situation is also a reminder that there is only so long for a team to remain uncompetitive before they are at risk of losing their better players to free agency.  The Wild can't simply bet all in the now and have to also think of the future to not be put in that situation in a few years.  They have to be able  to regularly integrate new players and keep the team's competitiveness up.   

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The last thing the Canucks need is a scratched Ennis.

:lol:

the only guys MIN needs to re-sign next year are Zucker and Dumba and they'll have about 9 mil + whatever the cap goes up to do it so there's really no pressure for them to move high picks. 

I think the only way the Canucks could pick up another 2018 first is to include their 2019 first in the deal, and that's not going to happen.  Imagine hosting the draft and not having a first round pick.

First round picks are dealt more often at the trade deadline by teams that feel they are just one guy away from a cup run.  You just don't find that sense of urgency between now and the draft.

I think they would look at buying out Ennis before they would trade their 1st round pick. The concept of this trade is good but I think we need to find a trading partner with bigger cap issues that needs space for an acquisition they think will make them Cup competitive.

16 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I think the only way the Canucks could pick up another 2018 first is to include their 2019 first in the deal, and that's not going to happen.  Imagine hosting the draft and not having a first round pick.

First round picks are dealt more often at the trade deadline by teams that feel they are just one guy away from a cup run.  You just don't find that sense of urgency between now and the draft.

I think we're much more likely to get 2-4th round picks if Jim tries to move Hutton or Del Zotto. 

I think the only way we get one more 1st is in a deal for Seabrook, I don't really see another team that needs to move a big contract as much as CHI does. 

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

who are the guys we should be moving out for more picks, or could get us picks?

Baer?

Goldy?

Granlund?

Tanev?

Maybe with the draft being at home in 2019 JB makes trades that bring us picks for that draft?

I think Jim saves the big pieces like Tanev for 2019 picks. I want to hang on to Goldy, he's showing a new level of effort and offensive skill the last few games that we need to find out if thats something he can bring on a nighty basis. 

Granny and Baer are probably the most likely, but I'd like to keep Granlund. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Jim saves the big pieces like Tanev for 2019 picks. I want to hang on to Goldy, he's showing a new level of effort and offensive skill the last few games that we need to find out if thats something he can bring on a nighty basis. 

Granny and Baer are probably the most likely, but I'd like to keep Granlund. 

Can we keep them all though?  Someone or two will either have to be traded, or lost (likely for free) to waivers. Do players like Gaudette, Pettersson, and Dahlen get sent down (like we did with Stecher) even if they are clearly better than Goldy and Granlund?  I guess it's good to have the competition (finally) for spots.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Can we keep them all though?  Someone or two will either have to be traded, or lost (likely for free) to waivers. Do players like Gaudette, Pettersson, and Dahlen get sent down (like we did with Stecher) even if they are clearly better than Goldy and Granlund?  I guess it's good to have the competition (finally) for spots.

the F locks for the roster imo are: Loui, Bo, Sutter, Gagner, Brock, Gaudette, Jake, Goldy and Baer (if he's not traded) so I see 3 spots up for grabs for Pettersson, Dahlen, Granny, and maybe a free agent. Archie will get the 13th F spot if he's re-signed. I just can't see Benning risking losing Goldy over Gaunce on waivers, to me there's no contest between the two, Goldy has far more upside. 

I'd like to see Baer and Hutton packaged for a gritty F, someone like Wilson (don't think we can pry him from WSH tho). A deal like that may have to wait for the summer tho after all the major free agents have found new spots. 

33 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the F locks for the roster imo are: Loui, Bo, Sutter, Gagner, Brock, Gaudette, Jake, Goldy and Baer (if he's not traded) so I see 3 spots up for grabs for Pettersson, Dahlen, Granny, and maybe a free agent. Archie will get the 13th F spot if he's re-signed. I just can't see Benning risking losing Goldy over Gaunce on waivers, to me there's no contest between the two, Goldy has far more upside. 

I'd like to see Baer and Hutton packaged for a gritty F, someone like Wilson (don't think we can pry him from WSH tho). A deal like that may have to wait for the summer tho after all the major free agents have found new spots. 

Hutton has limited value - he hasn't progressed much and has been scratched multiple times.  What's the appeal for a team to add two players who cost more combined than the player they are giving up?  Cap space is too valuable.  Teams have better options than Hutton.

Arizona just got Trevor Murphy, a 22 year old PMD who put up 26 points (8 goals) in 48 games in Milwaukee for AHLer John Ramage.  He got recalled recently and has 3 pts (1 goal) in 7 games for Arizona.  Hutton has 6 assists in 60 games.  

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Hutton has limited value - he hasn't progressed much and has been scratched multiple times.  What's the appeal for a team to add two players who cost more combined than the player they are giving up?  Cap space is too valuable.  Teams have better options than Hutton.

Arizona just got Trevor Murphy, a 22 year old PMD who put up 26 points (8 goals) in 48 games in Milwaukee for AHLer John Ramage.  He got recalled recently and has 3 pts (1 goal) in 7 games for Arizona.  Hutton has 6 assists in 60 games.  

depends on the teams prospect depth, but I was thinking of Hutty as the 'throw in' on a deal for Baer who has established himself as at least a solid 3rd line LW who can score.

Hutton does have 200 games under his belt as well, so IF a change of scenery is whats needed then he might be viewed as a good additional piece in a deal.  

Archived