The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New team logo/logo change

Harold Drunken

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

You bet, the name makes you think whale, but the are accurately the largest dolphin, and act like them more than a typical whale.

That is the sub family as pointed out in the post you quoted. But dolphins are also in the whale category as I also pointed out. Both are are the "toothed whale" category called Odontoceti. Dolphins and Orca are in the same family of Odontoceti called Delphinoidea. They are then in different families of that classification. Dolphins in Delphininae which includes 5 genera and Orcas in Orcininae which includes 10 genera.

The path of whale categories through subgroups is as follows:

Cetacean (whale) > Odontoceti (toothed whale) > Delphinoidea > Orcininae = Orca + 9 other genera

Cetacean (whale) > Odontoceti (toothed whale) > Delphinoidea > Delphinidae = Dolphin + 4 other genera

Delphinoidea is the largest group of toothed whales with 66 genera in 6 families. Beluga whales are in the Monodonidae family of Delphinoidea and are pilot whales in the Globicephala family. But they all still "toothed whales" regardles of Delphinoidea family.

Ultimately it's like saying orangutans are chimpanzies but aren't gorillas. They're all apes. Both dolphins and orcas are classified as toothed whales. But that's enough of the scientific classification of whales.

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Alfstonker I always find your posts thoughfull and or right to the point.  I'm in agreement with the fact this team has many different unis, but for me at least I've actually enjoyed that.  I know how iconic the Toronto, Habs, Bruins and Detroit uniforms have been, they always look great and there's no doubt they are easily recognized (and they are among the few teams that didn't go black when it was determined by designers that they look more aggressive and intimidating than the rest, but geeze it was hard to tell them apart, including the Canucks ninetees early Orca rendition, but at least we were one of the first to do that) but I wonder if those fans get a little bored of the same thing.  Its a major change when the leafs make their leafs more or less realistic, and they get overly excited over it too, talking about the meaning of each frond on TSN blah blah cup this cup that.

Each uniform we've had is distinctive and correlates to each team that played with them.  Pat Quinn gets the first rendition, Smyle and Williams the colourful eightees V, Bure, Linden,Babych and co get the flying skate, Ohlund, Jovo, Naslund and Bertuzzi get our black Orca uni's, and the Sedins get our current one.

To me it would be great to keep with tradition and create a modern uniform for Bo, Boeser, Pettersson etc.  Maybe wait until the 50th anniversary to unveil.  There's nothing wrong with changing it given we've been doing it for a while already, we aren't the only team   ..... The fish sticks NYI is a godawful classic now lol.

As I say, with me it's not so much what we come up with, it's the constant changing. Imo you never get to have an iconic jersey if you change it every time someone gets bored or some stars retire.

We will just have to agree to disagree on this one IBatch.

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

It'd a C, for Canucks.  With a rink and a stick...it's simple, simply better than C carving of a whale.  To each his own I guess, but the the whale logo is routinely at the bottom of the NHL pile when sweaters are judged, where as the other is near the top.

I have a mag that ranks the top fifty hockey sweaters (ALL hockey sweaters, including all leagues and international hockey), the Trail Smoke Eaters makes it into the top ten, our first uniform into the top forty.  The Swedes number 3, CHI 2, SJ 1.   None of our other uni make it at all, beat out by unis like the Calgary Hitmens pink version lol.

Personally I absolutely love the colours we have now, the only thing that's wrong for me is the whale carving, but I can live with it.

I love the colours, but the stick in rink is one of the lamest logo's out there

18 hours ago, Lulover88 said:

totally agree ...    this is pretty stunning ...  I also love that its got a certain kind of toughness associated with the darker colours 

No. I don't mind black as a jersey colour. But the red/yellow with a bit of white and the disco style lettering. Ugh. That and the Flying V are the WORST. 

Stick in Rink is simple, I don't mind Johnny Canuck either. I liked the 94' players far more than the jerseys. 

Stick with white/green/blue. It's very west coast. I've said all along when your name is Canucks, it means different things to different people that's why it's hard to have a logo that works. 

Oddly enough Montreal's logo and colours are very boring, yet they have the classic look of an old school jersey. I don't mind the Orca. I just think an orca designed by a native artist would look better. 

todd_baker-orca.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No. I don't mind black as a jersey colour. But the red/yellow with a bit of white and the disco style lettering. Ugh. That and the Flying V are the WORST. 

Stick in Rink is simple, I don't mind Johnny Canuck either. I liked the 94' players far more than the jerseys. 

Stick with white/green/blue. It's very west coast. I've said all along when your name is Canucks, it means different things to different people that's why it's hard to have a logo that works. 

Oddly enough Montreal's logo and colours are very boring, yet they have the classic look of an old school jersey. I don't mind the Orca. I just think an orca designed by a native artist would look better. 

todd_baker-orca.jpg

I think we've given enough reparations to the Native community .   As a vancouverite, while I recognize our history , I do not feel it represents us as a whole .. 

6 minutes ago, Lulover88 said:

I think we've given enough reparations to the Native community .   As a vancouverite, while I recognize our history , I do not feel it represents us as a whole .. 

Having a unique and distinct type of artwork that is from this area says something about the region you're in. Maybe get away from the political agenda. I've loved native artwork since I was a little kid. Outside of putting the Lions Mountains as our logo, I don't think you can get more West Coast. I certainly don't think the flying V and hallowe'en colours and a downhill skate represents us as a whole either. 

Was not expecting a Zoology debate when I logged on today.  

I guess the defining question may be do they taste like Tuna.

I like the current colors.  Having lived all over Canada the mix of verdant greens and oceanic blues really represent Vancouver perfectly.  I liked the colors of the Spaghetti Unis but the Logo was a mess.  I also like having the Haida design on there, again a great association with the left coast.  I believe that the logo was designed by a Haida artist, not just cultural appropriation.

While I can appreciate that logging is a big part of what has built BC, I am not sure that is what I want representing the team to the world.  But I guess the Oilers unabashedly advertise the destructive practices that make their province rich.

I like these threads for some of the great logos and ideas that come out of them, just not seeing much of that yet, more of just the typical CDC infighting.  Lets see some of those new jersey and logo ideas. 

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Having a unique and distinct type of artwork that is from this area says something about the region you're in. Maybe get away from the political agenda. I've loved native artwork since I was a little kid. Outside of putting the Lions Mountains as our logo, I don't think you can get more West Coast. I certainly don't think the flying V and hallowe'en colours and a downhill skate represents us as a whole either. 

fair point 

Archived