The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Vegas & Van

To Van: Clarkson, 2018 4th round pick(Canucks), 2019 2nd round pick (Columbus) & 2019 3rd round pick (Winnipeg)

Vegas: 2018 7th round pick

Vegas might need room to sign all their guys and can afford to give up picks. We gain more picks and weaponize our cap space.

I was thinking of a deal revolving around us taking Clarkson's contract as well. Vegas may want to spend some money this summer to follow up their crazy inaugural year and shedding Clarkson's salary would certainly help. Clarkson's contract is an anchor, but it fits in well with our timeline. I was thinking something like this:

To VGK:

4th 2019

To VAN:

Clarkson

Hague

3rd 2019 (NSH)

Hague would really help out our prospect pool and could (surprisingly) be buried by Vegas' depth on the left side with Theodore, Schmidt, Miller and McNabb. If we wanted to go purely for picks like your proposal I'd be fine with that too. 

53 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I was thinking of a deal revolving around us taking Clarkson's contract as well. Vegas may want to spend some money this summer to follow up their crazy inaugural year and shedding Clarkson's salary would certainly help. Clarkson's contract is an anchor, but it fits in well with our timeline. I was thinking something like this:

To VGK:

4th 2019

To VAN:

Clarkson

Hague

3rd 2019 (NSH)

Hague would really help out our prospect pool and could (surprisingly) be buried by Vegas' depth on the left side with Theodore, Schmidt, Miller and McNabb. If we wanted to go purely for picks like your proposal I'd be fine with that too. 

how is clarkson's contract an anchor ?

he is on long term injured reserve list and unlikely to play again

he ensures vegas gets to the salary cap floor if they choose to not spend so much next season

if they choose to spend to the cap it does not count

the contact is also likely insured, vegas is likely paying only a small uninsured amount to him

i see little here worth discussing

he really just gives vegas a lot of flexibility in sorting out their cap needs

they are unlikely to want to trade him as a result

that is a kings' ransom to pay for the canucks 4th round pick i think

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

They have 19 players signed next year and a projected $24 million in cap space. I doubt they want to pay that premium to dump Clarkson 

If you think they’ll be able to sign their big players (Karlsson, Neal, Perron, Theodore, Miller etc.) and not go over that $24 million threshold you’re mistaken. 

6 hours ago, Pears said:

If you think they’ll be able to sign their big players (Karlsson, Neal, Perron, Theodore, Miller etc.) and not go over that $24 million threshold you’re mistaken. 

I agree Karlsso 7  Neil 6  Perron 3.5 Theodore 5.5 Miller 3 ..Caps will make a few trades and will be fine..

Vegas will not give up Hogue, maybe one of there many other stock pile picks..

10 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I doubt they want to pay that premium to dump Clarkson 

9 hours ago, coastal.view said:

they are unlikely to want to trade him as a result

that is a kings' ransom to pay for the canucks 7th round pick i think

The Knights got a premium for him... they got a first round pick (and 2019 second-round pick in exchange for Expansion Draft Considerations) to take Clarkson. So one year shorter of a contract is worth less (a second, third and fourth).

Vegas will likely want to trade him. Just ask Pears...

8 hours ago, Pears said:

5 minutes ago, Sundstrom17 said:

I assumed not seeing that is why Columbus traded him to the Knights for a first rounder.

Columbus traded a 1st rounder to protect Korpisalo and Josh Anderson from expansion.  

Columbus is a budget conscious team.  They initially traded for Clarkson by sending Horton to the Leafs.  The Horton contract is not insured while Clarkson was healthy enough to play.  He then got injured and is now unable to play.  The insurance situation of the Clarkson contract is not known but there is typically a deductible and that affects their internal budget.

There are ways to work around LTIR - Chicago, Detroit, Toronto and even Vancouver were all able to use LTIR to exceed the cap. 

8 hours ago, Pears said:

Because Clarkson can go on LTIR and the cap is projected to increase to about 80M - their cap space is closer to 35M and not 24M. 

Also the Brassard trade at the TDL went via Vegas with them retaining 2M.  McPhee made the calculation that he could retain 2M and still have the budget to sign the players he wants to re-sign.  

It was my understanding a team can't put a guy on LTIR until the start of the season. So this contract would affect their ability to sign/re-sign people. Wasn't that one of the bigger complaints about the Hossa contract, from Chicago fans? Cause they had no offseason money to get a Hossa replacement so they'd rather he just play. I don't 100% grasp the idea of LTIR players. Someone smart tell me if I am wrong.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

It was my understanding a team can't put a guy on LTIR until the start of the season. So this contract would affect their ability to sign/re-sign people. Wasn't that one of the bigger complaints about the Hossa contract, from Chicago fans? Cause they had no offseason money to get a Hossa replacement so they'd rather he just play. I don't 100% grasp the idea of LTIR players. Someone smart tell me if I am wrong.

They can use off-season LTIR.  The Leafs did that to be able to sign Connor Brown.  Teams are also allowed to exceed the cap by 10% in the off-season.  CapFriendly has a section on LTIR.

Archived