Canucks Community

[Proposal] What I would try as GM

To Nashville:

Chris Tanev

To Vancouver:

2019 NSH 1st

Dante Fabbro

Nick Bonino

Nashville's biggest cause of losing to Winnipeg was there horrible bottom pair and Josi-Ellis was simply not good enough. Adding Tanev changes the whole dynamic of the defense.

Emelin-Subban were one of the better shutdown pairs in the NHL while Ellis was out.

Ekholm-Ellis have proven chemistry in the past, playing many seasons together until Subban arrived.

Tanev would provide a stronger defensive presence for Josi.

Nashville may claim they need offense, but their core is young and improving, Fiala and Tolvanen should be prominent players in 2018-19.

Nashville’s problem in the postseason was not the Subban and Mattias Ekholm pair. It was mainly the third pair. Yannick Weber, Matt Irwin, and Alexei Emelin struggled the entire series, especially Emelin, who had a position-worst 41.0 percent Corsi in four second-round games. Neither of the other two had Corsi scores above 43.0 percent for the series.

Even the pair of Ryan Ellis and Josi struggled. Ellis was below 50.0 percent Corsi in the series, and the Predators controlled less than half of the scoring chances at 5-on-5 when either was on the ice. That includes controlling a team-worst 45.4 percent with Ellis deployed

https://thehockeywriters.com/predators-subban-rumors-trade/

Also depending on how well Tanev plays with them, they could move one of Subban, Ellis for forward help (they have much more value, and there has been rumours to this).

Forsberg-Johansen-Tolvanen

Fiala-Turris-Arvidsson

Salomaki-Jarnkrok-Smith

Watson-Sissons-Hartman

Josi-Tanev

Emelin-Subban

Ekholm-Ellis

Canucks get a 1st round pick which will likely be in 25-31 range. Dante Fabbro is one of the better D prospects in the NHL, and is a huge area they are severely lacking in.

Nick Bonino is a cap dump, but will be a good insulation for Pettersson (if he plays C) and Gaudet, since losing Henrik Sedin. 

To Dallas:

Alexander Edler (50% retained)

Anders Nilsson

To Vancouver:
Julius Honka

2019 DAL 2nd

2018 CHI 4th

2019 DAL 4th

Honka may fall out of favour in Dallas, with Lindell, Klingberg, Methot and now Heiskanen ready to make the jump. Stephen Johns is also a very reliable defender. 

Only had 4 pts in 42gp, and limited icetime. He will be turning 23 this year, and it Dallas may be ready to move on. Edler boosts their backend, finally giving them a respectable defense core.

Nilsson is a respectable backup. Dallas is on the market for one.

With Dallas hosting the draft, it would be great if they pull off this big trade on draft day.

Alex Edler - John Klingberg

Marc Methot - Miro Heiskanen

Esa Lindell - Stephan Johns

Edler might finally waive now with Sedins now. Unlikely, but who knows. If he is willing to move, Dallas would be a great trading partner.

To Minnesota:

Markus Granlund

To Vancouver:
Tyler Ennis

2018 MIN 3rd

2018 WSH 5th

Minnesota dumps Ennis's big cap hit of 4.6M x 1 - and adds Granlund (brother of their superstar, Mikael) who will likely sign for 1M tops.

Canucks add some picks and get a 'potentially' better player who can be flipped at the deadline.

To Columbus:

Nikolay Goldobin

2018 MIN 3rd

To Vancouver:
Gabriel Carlsson

2018 CLB 6th

Columbus has somewhat of a log-jam on defense, and could use some scoring options. I think Goldy is falling out of favour in Vancouver, and D prospects are needed in the system anyways. Carlsson projects to be a #4-5 two way defender, maybe Alex Edler lite.

Tons of cap space (~17M), but no UFA's look interesting - Nucks need to be a bottom 5 team anyways. I'd sign Grabner though, maybe to a 1-2 year deal.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Pettersson-Bonino-Eriksson

Virtanen-Gaudette-Grabner

Leipsic-Sutter-Gagner

Ennis

Gaunce (likely waived)

Del Zotto-Stecher

Juolevi-Gudbranson

Hutton-Honka

Carlsson  (likely starts in AHL)

Biega

*Dante Fabbro would play in 2019-20. Assuming Canucks draft one of Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson + Juoelvi, Honka, Fabbro, Carlsson rounds out a potentially good Dcore.

Markstrom

Demko

20 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

To Nashville:

Chris Tanev

To Vancouver:

2019 NSH 1st

Dante Fabbro

Nick Bonino

Nashville's biggest cause of losing to Winnipeg was there horrible bottom pair and Josi-Ellis was simply not good enough. Adding Tanev changes the whole dynamic of the defense.

Emelin-Subban were one of the better shutdown pairs in the NHL while Ellis was out.

Ekholm-Ellis have proven chemistry in the past, playing many seasons together until Subban arrived.

Tanev would provide a stronger defensive presence for Josi.

Nashville may claim they need offense, but their core is young and improving, Fiala and Tolvanen should be prominent players in 2018-19.

https://thehockeywriters.com/predators-subban-rumors-trade/

Also depending on how well Tanev plays with them, they could move one of Subban, Ellis for forward help (they have much more value, and there has been rumours to this).

Forsberg-Johansen-Tolvanen

Fiala-Turris-Arvidsson

Salomaki-Jarnkrok-Smith

Watson-Sissons-Hartman

Josi-Tanev

Emelin-Subban

Ekholm-Ellis

Canucks get a 1st round pick which will likely be in 25-31 range. Dante Fabbro is one of the better D prospects in the NHL, and is a huge area they are severely lacking in.

Nick Bonino is a cap dump, but will be a good insulation for Pettersson (if he plays C) and Gaudet, since losing Henrik Sedin. 

To Dallas:

Alexander Edler (50% retained)

Anders Nilsson

To Vancouver:
Julius Honka

2019 DAL 2nd

2018 CHI 4th

2019 DAL 4th

Honka may fall out of favour in Dallas, with Lindell, Klingberg, Methot and now Heiskanen ready to make the jump. Stephen Johns is also a very reliable defender. 

Only had 4 pts in 42gp, and limited icetime. He will be turning 23 this year, and it Dallas may be ready to move on. Edler boosts their backend, finally giving them a respectable defense core.

Nilsson is a respectable backup. Dallas is on the market for one.

With Dallas hosting the draft, it would be great if they pull off this big trade on draft day.

Alex Edler - John Klingberg

Marc Methot - Miro Heiskanen

Esa Lindell - Stephan Johns

Edler might finally waive now with Sedins now. Unlikely, but who knows. If he is willing to move, Dallas would be a great trading partner.

To Minnesota:

Markus Granlund

To Vancouver:
Tyler Ennis

2018 MIN 3rd

2018 WSH 5th

Minnesota dumps Ennis's big cap hit of 4.6M x 1 - and adds Granlund (brother of their superstar, Mikael) who will likely sign for 1M tops.

Canucks add some picks and get a 'potentially' better player who can be flipped at the deadline.

To Columbus:

Nikolay Goldobin

2018 MIN 3rd

To Vancouver:
Gabriel Carlsson

2018 CLB 6th

Columbus has somewhat of a log-jam on defense, and could use some scoring options. I think Goldy is falling out of favour in Vancouver, and D prospects are needed in the system anyways. Carlsson projects to be a #4-5 two way defender, maybe Alex Edler lite.

Tons of cap space (~17M), but no UFA's look interesting - Nucks need to be a bottom 5 team anyways. I'd sign Grabner though, maybe to a 1-2 year deal.

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Pettersson-Bonino-Eriksson

Virtanen-Gaudette-Grabner

Leipsic-Sutter-Gagner

Ennis

Gaunce (likely waived)

Del Zotto-Stecher

Juolevi-Gudbranson

Hutton-Honka

Carlsson  (likely starts in AHL)

Biega

*Dante Fabbro would play in 2019-20. Assuming Canucks draft one of Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson + Juoelvi, Honka, Fabbro, Carlsson rounds out a potentially good Dcore.

Markstrom

Demko

I also like all these trades but I think the preds get into cap space problems. Ellis, Josi, Fiala need new contracts soon so we might send Tanev at 50% retained. Not sure if they want to part ways with fabbro. Could be a cheap option in their defense...

1 minute ago, scheif16 said:

I also like all these trades but I think the preds get into cap space problems. Ellis, Josi, Fiala need new contracts soon so we might send Tanev at 50% retained. Not sure if they want to part ways with fabbro. Could be a cheap option in their defense...

Honestly, Poile is pretty nuts - I could see him trading Ellis for a dynamic forward if Tanev clicks.

Nashville deliberately got rid of all their defensive Ds.  They only had Emelin because Ellis was out until January - he was a cheap acquisition cost and had familiarity with Subban.  He's not returning.  They are certainly not going to be trading for a defensive D like Tanev.

Nashville moved Weber because they felt they were spending more time defending because he was not helping them maintain possession in the o-zone.  They want Ds who are able to cycle with the Fs.  

Nashville wants to bring back the same group next year - Poile talked about how players told him they wanted minimal change and that for him it means a lot.

Also if a C gets moved it's not Bonino but Turris who disappeared in the playoffs.  

3 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

Honestly, Poile is pretty nuts - I could see him trading Ellis for a dynamic forward if Tanev clicks.

Poile said that his off-season priority is to sign Ellis.  Ellis also says he wants to agree on a contract this summer.

wow, and all these teams are willing to make those trades. what if they want more and something different than your proposals? what if nashville counters with send us boeser too? if i was the gm of those other clubs, i would propose different players that wanted or was willing to move. 

34 minutes ago, Patrick Kane said:

To Nashville:

Chris Tanev

To Vancouver:

2019 NSH 1st

Dante Fabbro

Nick Bonino

To Minnesota:

Markus Granlund

To Vancouver:
Tyler Ennis

2018 MIN 3rd

2018 WSH 5th

I like these two. I don't agree that Nick is a cap dump, it would allow us to move Sutter for even more younger pieces and like you say good insulation for EP, or even on a line with Gaudette. 

I don't see Edler waiving for Nashville, at least not to start the year. Maybe TDL day. 

I'd like to hang on to Goldy, some of his passing at the end of the year was next level, I'd like to see what that looks like on a PP with EP and Boeser. 

18 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

wow, and all these teams are willing to make those trades. what if they want more and something different than your proposals? what if nashville counters with send us boeser too? if i was the gm of those other clubs, i would propose different players that wanted or was willing to move. 

Smithers joe,

This is a Proposals and Armchair GM'ing section. This section has been around on CDC for 10+ years.

Your logic could be applied to EVERY thread on this forum.

Please add something constructive to the discussion, such as "Team doesn't need this player" or "The return isn't enough, because..." etc...

The point of this forum isn't too PREDICT what GMs want and will do, more so what realistic, fair value moves would you try to make if you were the GM of the Vancouver Canucks  (hence the title 'Armchair GM'ing).

Have a great day.

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like these two. I don't agree that Nick is a cap dump, it would allow us to move Sutter for even more younger pieces and like you say good insulation for EP, or even on a line with Gaudette. 

I don't see Edler waiving for Nashville, at least not to start the year. Maybe TDL day. 

I'd like to hang on to Goldy, some of his passing at the end of the year was next level, I'd like to see what that looks like on a PP with EP and Boeser. 

Bonino is definitely not a cap dump.  Laviolette says that there is no other line that he trust more with 20 seconds left to defend the lead.  He had a slow start to the year because he was still recovering from his ankle injury.  

Edler is being sent to Dallas and not to Nashville.  Canucks Ds are too limited offensively to interest Nashville.  Also their top-4 play each close to 25min a night.  It leaves just over 10min for the 3rd pairing.  A combo of Irwin-Weber-Bitetto is just fine for the minutes they get - Poile has already extended all 3 of them to league minimum contracts.  

Minnesota is very unlikely to add another undersized forward.  This is their owner Craig Leopold in January 2017:

“I don’t know, they could surprise me,” Leipold told the Star Tribune. “But I don’t think we’ve got that type of team. We haven’t built it yet. We’ve got some guys coming up who within a couple of years of being in this league can start to make a difference in the weakness that we have, which is the size of our players — although we’re better than we were last year.”

Also Fenton said one of his priorities is to improve their prospect pool.  Iowa has never made the playoffs.  Fletcher has moved way too many picks.  Can't see them trading picks to get rid of Ennis.  Word is that they are more than likely to buy him out.  

2 hours ago, Patrick Kane said:

Maybe poile uses ellis to get another goalie, not that rinne is bad but he's older and need to be replaced sooner or later..

First thing I would do is clean house.

Every player on this team would/could be available for the right price. For most of the players it would be granting them a reprieve from losing.

I would blow it up and start a 3 year rebuild, the goal being in 3 years the young core guys are drafted.

If the right team offered two 1rst round draft picks for either Horvat or Boeser, I would be looking into the possibility, but I would be looking for atleast top 5 picks, maybe a top 3 and top 6. You would have to believe that any team these players are dealt to will improve and a second 1rst the next year would/could be a much later round selection.

I would form a team with players that aren't used to losing over 4 to 6 years.

I would weaponize the cap and with the financial support of this owner, this could be a powerful weapon. Trades and buyouts could get many very high picks AND reach the cap floor. Essentially buying draft picks.

I wouldn't sit back and wait for the phone to ring, I would identify select players to target, even if trading for them is later in the season. A winning core group  would have a Norris trophy candidate, a large defenceman, a high scoring center and wingers, the goalie and very good back up. All close to the same age, a group that sticks for 10 years and then start moving them on around the 29 to 31 age before their skills markedly decline. You see if they are all doing well at the same time then no more than one or two players are likely to standout for the huge contracts.

Dahlin - Tryamkin/#7 or other (?) Pettersson - Horvat (?) - ?, Demko/DiPietro?

The team will need 3 lines that can score, are some of those players already on the team's prospect list? Have to play them to know. 

I would re-evaluate the teams prospect pool to see which players might be near the end of plateauing and trade them before it is well known that they have reached their limit.  

I would not expect the same kind of outcome as Vegas got, that was freaky, but should be looked at as not all home grown prospects are given a fair chance because the management group is too rigid in assigning roles.

I would not over value the existing players and some I would not under value either. Timing of deals are important.  

One thing for sure I would be looking for the very best help, lawyers, scouts, agents, capoligists, stat guys, mentors, consultants. Each would have a time and place. I would not be hiring rookies, I figure you get what you pay for and time spent learning how to do the job is time spent losing the money that was perceived to be saved by scrimping out to start with.

20 minutes ago, scheif16 said:

Maybe poile uses ellis to get another goalie, not that rinne is bad but he's older and need to be replaced sooner or later..

Nashville has already decided that Saros is their goalie of the future - Rinne is mentoring him and talks about how Saros has certainly earned more starts next year.  Rinne is a Vezina finalist and Saros has been really good this season.  

Friedman was asked about Ellis being traded with one year left to free agency.  His answer:  

“I can’t see Nashville moving Ellis,” said Friedman. “I just don’t see it. He’s a Predator born and bred. He’s happy to be there. He’s one of theirs, right. I think they would try to sort out the whole situation with Ellis before they would consider moving him. I think he’s a very big part of their identity and who they are. 

“I think Nashville would exhaust every possibility about keeping him before they would consider moving him. And from everything I know about Ryan Ellis, he loves it there and he would make it work."

Also Poile confirmed that his off-season priority is to extend Ellis.  Ellis himself says he wants to get a deal done this summer.  

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Nashville has already decided that Saros is their goalie of the future - Rinne is mentoring him and talks about how Saros has certainly earned more starts next year.  Rinne is a Vezina finalist and Saros has been really good this season.  

Friedman was asked about Ellis being traded with one year left to free agency.  His answer:  

“I can’t see Nashville moving Ellis,” said Friedman. “I just don’t see it. He’s a Predator born and bred. He’s happy to be there. He’s one of theirs, right. I think they would try to sort out the whole situation with Ellis before they would consider moving him. I think he’s a very big part of their identity and who they are. 

“I think Nashville would exhaust every possibility about keeping him before they would consider moving him. And from everything I know about Ryan Ellis, he loves it there and he would make it work."

Also Poile confirmed that his off-season priority is to extend Ellis.  Ellis himself says he wants to get a deal done this summer.  

Make sense! Didn't read that... thanks

1 hour ago, mll said:

To be fair, Dorion is saying that about Karlsson, and theres a chance he gets moved. You gotta take that with a grain of salt.

I see Hutton making your final roster, he's in the same boat as Goldobin as you said, "falling out of favour in Vancouver."

Each of these two's off season training will determine if they have what it takes to be a regular NHL'er.

Archived