The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 Canucks Summer Development Camp

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Hopefully the invite cheers Eggenberger up a little:

Kid really should’ve been drafted. Was a second rounder on some lists.

But glad to see us bringing him into camp.

Plus we are a team that isn't afraid to draft an overager with Abols who we had in camp prior to drafting him and others (seems like one a year).

5 minutes ago, Law of Goalies said:

I thought Quinn Hughes was not allowed to play because he is still with the college team?

The team cannot pay him for playing, transportation or lodging. As long as the kid/family puts up the coin Hughes doesn't lose his college eligibility.

4 minutes ago, gurn said:

The team cannot pay him for playing, transportation or lodging. As long as the kid/family puts up the coin Hughes doesn't lose his college eligibility.

Thanks man! I thought it was more than just money and that merely attending was already enough to lose his college eligibility..and I thought that was the reason why BB8 didn't join previously.

NCAA eligibility is pretty complicated.

For example, there is the “48 hour” rule:

“According to NCAA rules, players can attend a pro team's camp once for 48 hours and the team can pay all their expenses (and yes, major junior teams are considered "pro" by the NCAA). But after that 48 hours is up, the player must leave immediately to qualify. This is important, because if a camp is five days long, for example, the player can stay the duration, but only if they pay for all their own food and lodging after the 48-hour window. Also, if you stay longer, the team can no longer pay for your plane/train/bus fare home. That's on you.

You can use the 48-hour rule with as many teams as you want, but only once with the same team. So if you're drafted by an NHL franchise, there's almost always a rookie camp to attend. If you don't want to pay the expense, you can only be there 48 hours. If you're still in college the next summer, you have to pay your own way to rookie camp.”

So they can attend summer development camp. And the NHL club can pay costs for 48 hours, but after that the player must foot their own bill.

And they can’t play games against another team.

This is why development camp is OK because it’s a single team event.

But the Young Stars Tournament (and any similar NHL prospects tourney) is not OK because other teams are involved and so those games become considered basically pro exhibition games, which are forbidden for NCAA players.

“That includes exhibition games or any sort of meet-up between franchises. The rules that govern this also apply to NHL teams, which is why drafted players who are NCAA-bound (or already there) do not play in the Traverse City tournamenthosted by the Detroit Red Wings, for example.”

So that’s why guys like Boeser (while still in college) have attended Development Camp, but not been able to play at Young Stars.

Source for quotes: http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/want-to-play-ncaa-hockey-make-sure-you-know-the-eligibility-rules

Re: Eggenberger (and others), there’s a window for signing these kids (even 18 years olds) over the summer, even though they’re not considered draft related free agents and could still go back into future drafts.

NOTE: See posts below for the reasons why Euros like Eggenberger probably can’t be signed but North American undrafted teenagers may be signable.

We did this with McEneny, who was 18 when we first signed him and had gone undrafted his first eligibity year.

I’m not sure what the specific dates are for the signing window, but there’s the potential to effectively get what amounts to a free draft pick, if we decide to offer a deal.

With Eggenberger, given where he was ranked, signing him would be almost equivalent to getting our 2018 4th round back.

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Re: Eggenberger (and others), there’s a window for signing these kids (even 18 years olds) over the summer, even though they’re not considered draft related free agents and could still go back into future drafts.

We did this with McEneny, who was 18 when we first signed him and had gone undrafted his first eligibity year.

I’m not sure what the specific dates are for the signing window, but there’s the potential to effectively get what amounts to a free draft pick, if we decide to offer a deal.

With Eggenberger, given where he was ranked, signing him would be almost equivalent to getting our 2018 4th round back.

I'm asking Biech :lol:

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Are you that guy on Twitter? Somebody asked Biech to look it up and he said he’s gonna do it after he’s had his coffee.

:lol: Nope, not I. Contacted him via other means :ph34r:

batphone.jpg

Just now, aGENT said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME FYI, his initial thoughts are that McEneny was previous CBA and that 'Eggy' wouldn't be able to be signed under the current CBA. 

Ah, that could be. I don’t read as much CBA as I used to. Kids kinda change the free time part of your life. Plus there are plenty of young bucks who are willing to do that stuff now.

Also, didn’t see your edit. How do you get one of those Biecher batphone hotlines? I just have the silly spotlight on my roof and it always takes him a while to get here. :lol:

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME FYI, his initial thoughts are that McEneny was previous CBA and that 'Eggy' wouldn't be able to be signed under the current CBA. 

This is from the CBA.......I would say Biech is probably correct.

Draft-Related Unrestricted Free Agents. (i) Any Player not eligible for claim in any future Entry Draft pursuant to this Agreement and not on a Club's Reserve List shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent. Further, any Player eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, but who was unclaimed, shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent subject to the provisions of Section 8.9(b). (ii) Each Player referred to in subsection (d)(i) above shall, during the period of his Free Agency in accordance with Section 8.9(b), if applicable, be 30 ARTICLE 10 10.2-10.2 completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction subject to the provisions of Article 9 of this Agreement, if applicable, and without being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he: (a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section 8.4; or (b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

This is from the CBA.......I would say Biech is probably correct.

Draft-Related Unrestricted Free Agents. (i) Any Player not eligible for claim in any future Entry Draft pursuant to this Agreement and not on a Club's Reserve List shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent. Further, any Player eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, but who was unclaimed, shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent subject to the provisions of Section 8.9(b). (ii) Each Player referred to in subsection (d)(i) above shall, during the period of his Free Agency in accordance with Section 8.9(b), if applicable, be 30 ARTICLE 10 10.2-10.2 completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction subject to the provisions of Article 9 of this Agreement, if applicable, and without being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he: (a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section 8.4; or (b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season

Yeah, looks like there’s a “22 or older” rule for undrafted Europeans, which would preclude signing Eggenberger this summer (unless he’d been drafted).

However, it also appears from CBA 8.9.b.ii that the McEneny loophole might still be available for NA players.

Undrafted NA players under 20 appear to still be signable during the window between the draft they weren’t selected and the opening date of their Major Junior season (and this window gets extended to the opening of the NHL season if the player signs a tryout):

“8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:

“(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

“(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).”

It’s possible this section gets overridden by another section somewhere in the CBA, but these appear to be the exact same terms that made the McEneny signing possible under the old CBA.

McEneny, for example, was signed at age 18 after going undrafted in 2012 and his deal was filed just before the 2012-13 season opened.

This appears to still be the window for signing a under-20 undrafted players from Major Junior leagues in North America (under the current CBA).

Otherwise, I don’t see why the current CBA would even have a section discussing the signing of under-20 undrafted NA players, since those players are still draft eligible for the next draft, and therefore they don’t qualify for the standard “draft related free agent” terms.

But they still appear to be signable during the summer window (between the draft they passed through and the commencement of their next season).

33 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Hopefully they invite some more undrafted guys. I really liked Dunkley and Topping. Also thought Pavel Gogolev deserved to get drafted! Gogolev put up 30 goals in 66 games on a bad Petes team in the OHL.

Gogolev is going to the Red Wings’ camp.

I haven’t seen anything on Dunkley or Topping yet but have to assume they’ve gotten invites (somewhere) that just haven’t been announced.

Archived