The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 Canucks Summer Development Camp

Just noticed we added Adam McMaster as an invite.

I swear I must’ve looked at the recent roster update and read his name at least 5 times today as Tanner MacMaster. But nope, we’ve got a McMaster and a MacMaster on the camp roster.

McMaster is a guy who kinda flew under the radar for me the few times I’ve watched North Bay. Probably just because I wasn’t watching for him. Also just don’t watch nearly as many OHL games as I used to, and when I do, I’m generally looking at either Canucks properties or watching the higher profile prospects for future drafts.

What I know is that the kid has really good wheels. And he’s considered a skill guy. He had a fairly impressive D-1 season, and then sort of underwhelmed this past year (at least numbers-wise) and failed to make any serious gains in his final 2017-18 totals (28pts in 64GP) versus 2016-17 (24pts in 61GP).

He’s an undersized (5’10”) centreman and shoots left.

I know he was fairly high ranked on preliminary lists for the 2018 Draft but fell down the rankings as the months passed.

Did a quick web check and came up pretty much empty as far as any scouting reports or articles. And like I said, I barely remember this kid (but mostly because I didn’t watch many North Bay games and certainly wasn’t looking for him when I did).

Anyway, looks like he’s a late addition, possibly as a replacement following the injury that knocked Eggenberger out of camp.

Came across this story as part of the prospects coverage on the mothership:

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-development-camp/c-299328726

Invitee Garrett McFadden is the OHL’s first two-time recipient of that league’s humanitarian of the year award (Dan Snyder Memorial Trophy).

After being impacted by the suicide of a close family friend, McFadden started “McFadden’s Movement” in support of youth mental health awareness. 

Here’s an article that details some of the good work McFadden is doing:

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/storms-garrett-mcfadden-named-ohl-humanitarian-of-the-year

28 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

did they release any sort of weigh in or height for players attending this camp?

Need more updates on this if and when possible!!

They released this roster (including heights and weights):

It's anyone’s guess how recent some of those measurements are. Recent picks are probably the same as they were from the combine and the rest are likely taken from whatever they’re listed at with their respective teams. There wouldn’t be any heights and weights from camp on that roster simply because camp hadn’t started yet (when roster was released). They’ll probably measure everyone on the first or second day, but those vitals may or may not get released (or leaked).

EDIT: some of those measurements are pretty old I think. Jack Rathbone (listed 5’10” 177lbs) is certainly bigger. Harvard has him now at 5’11” 190lbs.

Speaking of Rathbone, does he ever look stronger in that video above (you just get a brief look at him between 0:37-0:40), compared to this time last year. That 190lbs listing from Harvard looks to be accurate and from looking at Rathbone’s face and the shape of his upper body (compared to a year ago), it looks like he’s added some significant muscle over the past year (which fits with what I’ve heard).

EDIT: Also Gunnarsson at 0:19 into the video (far right). Kid looks like he’s ready for strength and fitness testing to start so he can start setting some records for another team (he already owns most of Frölunda’s records).

30 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Ryan Johnson, the Canucks Director of Player Development, welcomes the prospects to the first day of camp with an inspirational speech about conducting yourself the right way.

I see Ryan Johnson as an excellent leader of an organization one day. Very clear, supportive and motivating for these kids. 

I was just thinking the same about Rathbone. This is probably the guy I am most interested in seeing how he develops. I keep thinking of poor mans Makar with the few highlights I have seen - skating and heavy shot. Probably has a bit to do with coming out of  a lower league as well.

On 6/13/2018 at 3:44 PM, DeNiro said:

Not a whole lot of star talent there but it will be good to see Palmu and Gadjovich reunited, plus get a closer look at Lind, DiPietro and Rathbone.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how these guys do.

On 6/13/2018 at 3:51 PM, Pepe Silvia said:

I'm guessing no Pettersson. But no Demko? Dahlen? Chatfield? Lockwood? Jasek? Brisebois?

Ten bucks is ten bucks, but I'd really like to see more of the top prospects attending.

Pettersson (and Juolevi) will take their time coming back from their injuries, which makes sense. And they both had long seasons and should probably take a break even if they were healthy.

Demko, Brisebois, Jasek, and Lockwood were all on the dev. camp roster back in 2016 (as was Juolevi), so the "statute of limitations"  might be over for them. Time for a new cohort.

Not only did the Canucks have probably their smallest draft class ever this year, or at least for a long time, the invitees are also a small group. So I am guessing this is the smallest Dev. Camp. yet. The strategy is obviously to looking for skill in the draft and in other invitees, relying on the UFA market or the waiver wire to pick up toughness and grit.

That is a good strategy. Most of the low draft picks and invitees will never be significant NHL players, but it the Canucks get one or two core players (top 6 forwards or top 4 Ds) from this year's group of Round 3-7 draft picks and Dev. Camp invitees, that would be a big win. It took the Canucks a while to fully embrace this approach, although the Forsling pick back in 2014 fits this pattern. But I am glad they are doing it now. I wonder how much of that is due to Judd Brackett.

48 minutes ago, Seven pounds soft said:

The posted weights has Cole Lind at 178 pounds. That can’t be accurate can it , I thought he was a lot bigger.  

seems to be the weight listed on hockeydb, listed at 185 on eliteprospects. I assume he is in the 185-190 range

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

Demko, Brisebois, Jasek, and Lockwood were all on the dev. camp roster back in 2016 (as was Juolevi), so the "statute of limitations"  might be over for them. Time for a new cohort. 

Lockwood is recovering from injury I believe

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Speaking of Rathbone, does he ever look stronger in that video above (you just get a brief look at him between 0:37-0:40), compared to this time last year. That 190lbs listing from Harvard looks to be accurate and from looking at Rathbone’s face and the shape of his upper body (compared to a year ago), it looks like he’s added some significant muscle over the past year (which fits with what I’ve heard).

EDIT: Also Gunnarsson at 0:19 into the video (far right). Kid looks like he’s ready for strength and fitness testing to start so he can start setting some records for another team (he already owns most of Frölunda’s records).

From last year.  His segment starts at 1:40.

Hope his skating still looks the same!  Manjovich is decent but if you compare him and Rathbone there's just so much more power.  Anyone at the camp please give us updates!

Archived