The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, khay said:

I think holding out is more common among lower draft picks, but for first round picks that have the chance to crack the roster before draft + 2 years, they would be foregoing a lot of salary just for the chance to play with someone they like.

If Quinn Hughes holds out, then he has to stay unsigned for 4 years (if I'm not mistaken). So he would have to stay in college until the end of draft + 4 seasons and only gets a chance to make the NHL starting draft + 5 season. At which point, I think he can only sign an ELC deal (850K + bonus for 3 years). So that's 7 seasons before he even becomes an RFA and a chance to make millions. In the meantime, his younger brother Jack makes the NHL right out of the gate and Quinn is just sitting in his college dorm room, watching his brother live out his dream of playing in the NHL.

On the contrary, if Quinn signs with us at the end of Michigan's season (as Boeser and Gaud did), he burns one year of his ELC. By the end of draft + 3 seasons he would hit RFA status and a chance to make whatever he is worth. So starting from draft + 4 season, he is set to make millions vs 850K. Just look at Boeser, he will sign for at least 6 mil as long as this season is a repeat of what he did last season. If he somehow puts up 40+ goals, then we are looking at 7+mil. If Quinn is as advertised, he will commend at least 5-6 mil as an RFA. If he comes in and scores 50+ points during his ELC years, he is gonna get paid.

So no. I don't worry about holding out. There's just too much to lose for the player. If they really want to play together, they can sign as UFA when they are 28 years and have already made enough money to be content with.

I think one issue for Quinn is if he doesn't sign after this season he could end up making the NHL after younger brother Jack who almost certainly plays in the NHL next year.  No competitive brother wants that!

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Fan since 82 bud. Talking about the wrong guy here. 

The above quote was actually from : rekker

4 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

My start date too!  Seniority has to count for something around here.

Time for you two to get together and start chanting Haarroolldd LOL Been a fan since around 82 as well.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
miss quoted source
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Time for you two to get together and start chanting Haarroolldd LOL Been a fan since around 82 as well.

Does listening to the WHL Canucks on the radio for years before the NHL let us into the league (and years before watching Snepsts' first training camp) get me into this old farts' club?

Snepsts' first training camp highlight for me was watching this huge grin grow on Harry's face when he realized someone was actually going to ask him to dance.  (Might have been Dave Hutchinson?)  It was so exciting to see him realize his opportunity to show what he could bring to the team.  And, he did not disappoint.

But that was about '74, I think and I had already been a fan for about 10 years.

• Upvote 3

I remember back then the only way to get the evenings scores was to call the radio ski and sports line at bedtime. I would have to sit through the snow base report to get to the scores. Lol. If you missed what they were saying you had to call back and go though it all again. Sheesh. I love the way we can have it all at our fingertips now. 

• Cheers 2

Welcome aboard the "Old Farts Club" lol. Even though the team was not very good back in the day they, if nothing else, they were entertaining. Still get a bit of a smile on my face when I recall Tiger Williams showmanship when he scored a goal. Got to say; they had great fans back then that stuck with the team through thick and thin.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Not sure that this year's team will be vying for a playoff spot but I think we will surprisingly entertained by the change in tempo and style of play brought on by the retirement of the Sedin's. Next year when Quinn is signed and playing for us as well as Juolevi becoming a full time member of the D core we will have even more to cheer about

• Cheers 1

Quinn Hughes is an amazing talent; can't wait 'til he makes the team.

This is the best group of young talent we have ever had, without a doubt.

Old Farts Club members may recall the entirely bleak 70's when we may even have had the worst management in the league.

It was brutal.  Most people I knew (remember, it was the 70's) didn't even follow sports and the Nux were second to the Lions.

We used to get in either sneaking in or buying cheap scalped tix or if we really had to, we'd buy standing room only and watch the best seats for the first ten minutes.

Then we'd just pick out the best empty seats at center ice for the rest of the game.  It was less than ten bucks.

And you could sneak in booze (et cetera) and it was more or less ok ('til the Lemon Gin ran out)!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, rekker said:

Since I have your guys attention. Does anyone else see the resemblance between EP and Gradin? On the ice and style?

Yeah, it was one of the first things I noticed about EP; they both have their heads up all the time looking at the whole ice, and confidently understanding the entire situation and opportunities.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Quinn Hughes is an amazing talent; can't wait 'til he makes the team.

This is the best group of young talent we have ever had, without a doubt.

Old Farts Club members may recall the entirely bleak 70's when we may even have had the worst management in the league.

It was brutal.  Most people I knew (remember, it was the 70's) didn't even follow sports and the Nux were second to the Lions.

We used to get in either sneaking in or buying cheap scalped tix or if we really had to, we'd buy standing room only and watch the best seats for the first ten minutes.

Then we'd just pick out the best empty seats at center ice for the rest of the game.  It was less than ten bucks.

And you could sneak in booze (et cetera) and it was more or less ok ('til the Lemon Gin ran out)!

I remember those early years of the Canucks, but I also remember waiting lists to buy season tickets up to their first trip to the playoffs, against the Habs. The Canucks weren't second to the Lions at all. Management might have been bad in their first years, but, they were filling the old PC, because they were new, and most of Vancouver was still *issed off with the NHL for giving the California Golden Seals a franchise instead of our City. I bought nose bleed season tickets in Gradin's first season for a bit more than $250.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

I remember those early years of the Canucks, but I also remember waiting lists to buy season tickets up to their first trip to the playoffs, against the Habs. The Canucks weren't second to the Lions at all. Management might have been bad in their first years, but, they were filling the old PC, because they were new, and most of Vancouver was still *issed off with the NHL for giving the California Golden Seals a franchise instead of our City. I bought nose bleed season tickets in Gradin's first season for a bit more than $250.

Haha. My first game was Nucks vs Bruins at Pacific Coliseum. Fifteen dollars for great seats. Not sure if that covers your parking now. 

2 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Does listening to the WHL Canucks on the radio for years before the NHL let us into the league (and years before watching Snepsts' first training camp) get me into this old farts' club?

Snepsts' first training camp highlight for me was watching this huge grin grow on Harry's face when he realized someone was actually going to ask him to dance.  (Might have been Dave Hutchinson?)  It was so exciting to see him realize his opportunity to show what he could bring to the team.  And, he did not disappoint.

But that was about '74, I think and I had already been a fan for about 10 years.

Who you calling an old fart?  

My mother told me to never grow up and I have been doing my best ever since. 

Just for reference I was born in ‘74. Old Fart indeed ;)  

Anyone who has been a fan since the WHL days is always welcome in any club I belong too. 

Edited by Phat Fingers

1 hour ago, johngould21 said:

Loved the old PC!  The energy was awesome. My first live game was then 93 nucks vs the coolers. 8-2 for van, Bure, Linden and Nedved each got

a pair of goals and Gino was

trying to pull oilers players off the bench to fight him.... not takers. 

This team was always the underdog. Something many newer fans who started watching during the Sedin Era are only

now starting to feel. 

Just now, Kootenay Gold said:

Ahh!! Just a Young Fart then?? Not fully ripened lol.

You are a young one. For reference 1950

Ripened enough... lucky enough to be ‘old school’ at my work.  I learned from those that earned respect, not found it on an app somewhere. 

Only as young as you feel

and everyday above ground breathing fresh air is a good one. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

You got me by a few years then....I do remember Orland Kurtenback being one tough SOB and our first captain in the NHL and of course Snepst's own goals...which would piss him off enough to go beat someone up...so it wasn't as bad as Edler's ...

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Why, you an Oilers fan?

I guess you haven't looked at the standings over the last few years.

Not only have they been above us  in the standings but they have the best player in the league and a pretty good number two center. They clearly a better team then us.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I guess you haven't looked at the standings over the last few years.

Not only have they been above us  in the standings but they have the best player in the league and a pretty good number two center. They clearly a better team then us.

So....what are you doing here...?

They are not better than us anymore...!

Don't slam the door on the way out....!

• Haha 2