The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

22 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think it is always a gamble, but basically you want your first round picks happy...……….

so like Boeser, he is in his in his last year of his ELC now, because he signed the contract early......those 9 games he played are costing the Canucks 6.5 M, 1 year early...…..it is the risk, but a player only basically gets what he deserves, so if Hughes signs early and plays like $&!# for the 9 games, and then the next 2 years, he would only be offered the appropriate contract, but still he gets it one year early, because he plays that 9 games. Same for Gaudette. 

Someone can correct me if I am wrong ... @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME I believe is good with the CBA stuff.

Unlike Boeser and Gaudette who were able to burn a full year off their ELCs by signing and playing in a couple of games at the end of the season I don't think that option will exist for Quinn Hughes unless the Canucks make the playoffs.  Both Boeser and Gaudette were 20 or above when they signed so their first NHL game burned a year of their ELC.  Hughes will still be 19 years old and will need to play in 10 NHL games to burn a year so depending on when Michigan's season ends there will likely be less than 10 games left on the Canucks schedule. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, therodigy said:

The point I'm trying to make is that there are so many moving parts that making decisions now for an expansion draft taking place 2 seasons later is a bit premature. Our roster can be completely overhauled, or perhaps there will be a plan in place to ship Eriksson to Seattle that will cost us Juolevi or Hutton. I think it's best not to use the expansion draft as justfication to delay Hughes progression if he is indeed ready to play.

Yeah no.  Benning openly stated that he was not going to be extorted.  Other teams like Minny, Anaheim, and Florida caved out of fear, and ended up losing multiple quality assets.

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Someone can correct me if I am wrong ... @SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME I believe is good with the CBA stuff.

Unlike Boeser and Gaudette who were able to burn a full year off their ELCs by signing and playing in a couple of games at the end of the season I don't think that option will exist for Quinn Hughes unless the Canucks make the playoffs.  Both Boeser and Gaudette were 20 or above when they signed so their first NHL game burned a year of their ELC.  Hughes will still be 19 years old and will need to play in 10 NHL games to burn a year so depending on when Michigan's season ends there will likely be less than 10 games left on the Canucks schedule. 

I didn't realize Quinn was so young.  Wow!  He is the best player in his draft, considering his age.  We are so lucky to have another best in his draft player to go along with Pettersson!!!!  How many Cups will these two lead our team to over the next decade - 3, 4, 5??:towel:

27 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

I was wondering that myself, but I was thinking he wasn't slide eligible if he plays any games in 2019 in the NHL. Isn't it the same thing as with McAvoy, since he'll be turning 20 before the end of 2019? McAvoy wasn't eligible for a slide in his deal: https://businessofhockey.wordpress.com/2017/04/03/burning-the-first-year-of-a-rookies-entry-level-contract/

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME we need a ruling here :P

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I was wondering that myself, but I was thinking he wasn't slide eligible if he plays any games in 2019 in the NHL. Isn't it the same thing as with McAvoy, since he'll be turning 20 before the end of 2019? McAvoy wasn't eligible for a slide in his deal: https://businessofhockey.wordpress.com/2017/04/03/burning-the-first-year-of-a-rookies-entry-level-contract/

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME we need a ruling here :P

Just heard on 650 that Hughes' plan is to sign with us after this college season.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Just heard on 650 that Hughes' plan is to sign with us after this college season.  

thats great news for sure. If that does burn an ELC year that creates a protection issue for Seattle expansion, but I also think you have to snap up elite college guys when you get the chance. Its amazing to me how these guys are set up now with advisors, agents, media help, etc. When i was that age I couldn't imagine being that well organized. Of course, no one was looking to sign up up for anything but Amway. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats great news for sure. If that does burn an ELC year that creates a protection issue for Seattle expansion, but I also think you have to snap up elite college guys when you get the chance. Its amazing to me how these guys are set up now with advisors, agents, media help, etc. When i was that age I couldn't imagine being that well organized. Of course, no one was looking to sign up up for anything but Amway. 

maybe having Quinn here, and Pettersson, and Brock, and Bo, and a developing young core attracts other college guys, who are UFAs, like Fox?  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If he waits till the end of the NHL season and signs in the summer the Canucks would have an extra year on his ELC which would shelter him from needing protection for the expansion

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

maybe having Quinn here, and Pettersson, and Brock, and Bo, and a developing young core attracts other college guys, who are UFAs, like Fox?  

that and Jim has proven to be a man of his word, if you earn a spot you get to play. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If he waits till the end of the NHL season and signs in the summer the Canucks would have an extra year on his ELC which would shelter him from needing protection for the expansion

that seems ideal to me, as much as I'd like to see him play this year that protection is obviously pretty important. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

that seems ideal to me, as much as I'd like to see him play this year that protection is obviously pretty important. 

I would hate to see the team lose a good mid tier player that could have been protected if Quinn and GM Benning decide that signing and playing a few, likely meaningless, games to end the season is a better option.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I would hate to see the team lose a good mid tier player that could have been protected if Quinn and GM Benning decide that signing and playing a few, likely meaningless, games to end the season is a better option.

We are going to lose a good mid-tier player to Seattle regardless of Quinn's early signing.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We are going to lose a good mid-tier player to Seattle regardless of Quinn's early signing.  

A lot depends on what JB does with the defense group between now and then as that is the area affected if Quinn signs early. Olli, Hutton and Guddy would likely be the 3 protected IMO. Tanev will probably be traded by then and Edler may only get a  two year extension if he is signed at all. Lots of movement likely before then so undoubtedly there will be an ongoing discussion as the season and years progress.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

There's always the potential that we make some deals to "protect" guys who are unprotected. Depending on where we are at the time. Hopefully we're a playoff team by then.

Some VERY early mock expansion drafts have had the Canucks losing (among others) Sven Baertschi, Troy Stecher, Jonathan Dahlen, and ZACK MACEWEN. The door is still very wide open and it's honestly too early to tell who'll still be here vs. who'll be available. A lot of other teams will be losing some good mid-tier guys too. That means people expect Dahlen and MacEwen too be NHLers which is a good sign for the future.

The big throughline in all the expansion draft mock drafts seems to be that the Capitals are bound to lose Braden Holtby which would be a big loss for that team although most people believe Samsonov for the Caps should be NHL ready as a starter by then.

It's still early but honestly, I hope we're in a position where we lose a quality guy because that means we're a contender. It'll just be up to Benning to make a quality move to protect a few extra guys.

5 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

A lot depends on what JB does with the defense group between now and then as that is the area affected if Quinn signs early. Olli, Hutton and Guddy would likely be the 3 protected IMO. Tanev will probably be traded by then and Edler may only get a  two year extension if he is signed at all. Lots of movement likely before then so undoubtedly there will be an ongoing discussion as the season and years progress.

I see a guy like Jett Woo taking over Guddy's role, so (maybe?) Guddy is the one out?  Or, we sign Pouliot, and he's the odd guy out.  Then there's Goldy too.  Either way, we will lose a good player, but not part of our core.  

Just now, Quantum said:

There's always the potential that we make some deals to "protect" guys who are unprotected. Depending on where we are at the time. Hopefully we're a playoff team by then.

Some VERY early mock expansion drafts have had the Canucks losing (among others) Sven Baertschi, Troy Stecher, Jonathan Dahlen, and ZACK MACEWEN. The door is still very wide open and it's honestly too early to tell who'll still be here vs. who'll be available. A lot of other teams will be losing some good mid-tier guys too. That means people expect Dahlen and MacEwen too be NHLers which is a good sign for the future.

The big throughline in all the expansion draft mock drafts seems to be that the Capitals are bound to lose Braden Holtby which would be a big loss for that team although most people believe Samsonov for the Caps should be NHL ready as a starter by then.

It's still early but honestly, I hope we're in a position where we lose a quality guy because that means we're a contender. It'll just be up to Benning to make a quality move to protect a few extra guys.

We can only lose one player I thought?