The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

3 hours ago, teepain said:

Actually they said top 6 winger. We are all still waiting , hope he puts some work in this off season 

I was not running Jake down. He has not turned into what you would hope a sixth overall pick would give you but he is an NHL player for sure.

All it might take is to find a center who clicks with Jake to get the most from him. He is maturing slowly but I don't think we have seen his best yet.

Broberg might never be an offensive dinamo but he may become a shut down machine. Like Jake his size and mobility are special. 

God knows we need a solid shut down D man. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/26/2019 at 12:06 PM, CoolCanucklehead said:

Ehrhoff

Edler

Hamhuis

Bieksa

Salo

Tanev Ballard & a first = Shea Web...

Solid top 6. Tanev was a rookie but still stepped in nicely. But the other 5 were definitely top 4 guys.

?

In a way Broberg reminds me of Carlo. Big body with all the tools but a lot of fear over taking him due to IQ. Lots of fans look silly now as Carlo is a great player for the Bruins.  The way I see it, the concerns over Broberg come after he gets past the opponents blue line.  If he can wheel the puck in to the zone, that alone is something the canucks sorely lack

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Bilbro Baggins said:

In a way Broberg reminds me of Carlo. Big body with all the tools but a lot of fear over taking him due to IQ. Lots of fans look silly now as Carlo is a great player for the Bruins.  The way I see it, the concerns over Broberg come after he gets past the opponents blue line.  If he can wheel the puck in to the zone, that alone is something the canucks sorely lack

Totally agree.  It’s almost like it’s s “Catch 22” for those who criticize Broberg.  Kid skates the puck too much, so he must have low Hockey Q.  Maybe he’s just a fabulous skater and has elite puck skills?  

19 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Bieksa was average sized but a perfect example of "the size of the fight in the dog". He wasn't scared of anything. We need a couple guys like him again.

On that team with the size they had Bieksa not only played bigger than he was he was tough as nails. I dont see the same attitude from a Hutton, Stecher, Hughes, Pouliot Edler, Tanev. That edge is missing so we definitely need to bulk up on D.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

Also his height is enhanced on this site, he was. 5’11” 190 lbs.   One “tale of the tape “ early on had him at 6’3” 220 lbs fighting someone and it made me laugh, that’s Probert size, which he was not.  He fought Marleau and beat him badly, who does have some size, and it’s obviuos he was the bigger player (as with most of his fights).  Anyone who watched him live knows what I’m talking about, he’s six feet maybe if you include his hair and is helmet.  A warrior no doubt but not really that big at all, just like Wendel Clark back in the day.

Regardless which Defenseman would you take over him except maybe Hughes. Stecher? Hutton? Pouliot? Biega? All similiar size but dont play anywhere as big as Bieksa did.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Button went from saying Podkolzin was like Datsyuk to Crouse or something along those lines. Liljegren and Chychrun were consensus 2nd overall picks a year out from their drafts. People's opinions change all the time as more information is presented to them and I don't think what he said almost a year ago means anything really. 

Loved this, it was like 2 months ago he said the Podkolzin is closer to Kaako than Kaako is to Hughes in the rankings. That aged poorly in a hurry.

On 5/25/2019 at 6:03 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

I don't know the value which is why I asked.

Good job being a total Bi&%$.

:picard: 

Edit: goldy has no value, baertschi doesn't have much with his injury concerns...maybe a 2nd. So if what I suggested was the offer it would basically be two 2nds for Fleury.  Didn't seem bad to me.

It is bad. We throw away two offensive threats on our team for a defenceman that doesn't score - or hasn't scored yet. LOL. Come on. You can't be that dumb, are you?

22 minutes ago, Deathrowe said:

I don't get it

I just put my Top 5 forwards who could play with Pettersson (who I would prefer), and the two Dmen I think could be worth taking with the #10, one of them to possibly play with Hughes one day.  The 7 players I have on my list are all 6'1" or bigger (and have skill, hockey IQ, and can skate).  I don't really want a smaller player with the #10 (Caufield, Newhook) Canucks need to prepare for the playoffs, as they're now on the upswing of the rebuild and could be knocking on the door soon. I would rather have a big skilled player join the team late in the 2020 or 2021 season (heading into the playoffs), than a small player just out of college, getting totally overwhelmed with the speed and physicality of the toughest league in the world.

A bit of an eye-opener for me watching the Worlds. Kakko looked like he fit right in, was one of the best players, won Gold. Jack Hughes was a healthy scratch and looked like a boy out there. Could hardly keep his balance at times, getting knocked around. I can't imagine how ineffective Caufield would've looked in that tournament. These kids will grow over time, but why not start with a guy who's 6'3", who can take a hit, who can use his strength - right away?

• Upvote 2

I want Seider

Big RD

Can skate

has high hockey IQ and character 

plays physical 

strong defensively 

he’s got upside to be a real #1 and at worst Parayko / Myers type floor.

To me it’s a no brainer unless some one crazy falls. I feel like he’s this years Petey (not skill wise) but due to the Euro discount and not enough eyeballs on him, he’s not ranked as high as he could be. I honestly think he will be the steal of the draft, much like Chabot was. 

• Cheers 2

Im really getting sold on Broberg if he is available at 10. He has Mcdavid like game changing speed. He has elite speed and makes power moves that other players cannot do. 

If we are looking to build a new defensive group a guy like this would be a great guy to have. A lot of people talk about his lack of IQ and I say that completely incorrect. 

People see Jake Virtanen because he has a similar power speed skating style but currently lacks the ability to finish every rush like Pettersson might. First of all I don't think Virtanen has a low IQ. I think his IQ is fine its his processing ability that is slower especially when he and the game are moving so fast. I think Broberg has good IQ, I think his processing of the game is better than jakes but he is still young and is working on his coordination with the puck at high speeds. I predict his puck work will improve and his ability to make successful plays at high speeds will improve allowing him to become an elite defence man in the league. Might take him a few years to get his game together but I see a Victor Hedman in him. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I want Seider

Big RD

Can skate

has high hockey IQ and character 

plays physical 

strong defensively 

he’s got upside to be a real #1 and at worst Parayko / Myers type floor.

To me it’s a no brainer unless some one crazy falls. I feel like he’s this years Petey (not skill wise) but due to the Euro discount and not enough eyeballs on him, he’s not ranked as high as he could be. I honestly think he will be the steal of the draft, much like Chabot was. 

I have been on the Seider train all year, but he is by zero means a no brainer at 10. At 10 he would 100% be a reach at this point, he could realistically go anywhere from 12-25. I think that this last tourney has really opened people eyes to his skill set, but it is a very small sample size. I have said all year I want him, but I would likely be disappointed if we took him at 10. With the quality of forwards that are projected to be available and our dire need for some scoring in our top 6, we can't afford to not go BPA.

If the scouting team truly believes he is BPA, great, a couple buddies will owe me a beer. But I realistically only see us picking him if we somehow can swing a 2nd first round pick in the late teens.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

I have been on the Seider train all year, but he is by zero means a no brainer at 10. At 10 he would 100% be a reach at this point, he could realistically go anywhere from 12-25. I think that this last tourney has really opened people eyes to his skill set, but it is a very small sample size. I have said all year I want him, but I would likely be disappointed if we took him at 10. With the quality of forwards that are projected to be available and our dire need for some scoring in our top 6, we can't afford to not go BPA.

If the scouting team truly believes he is BPA, great, a couple buddies will owe me a beer. But I realistically only see us picking him if we somehow can swing a 2nd first round pick in the late teens.

I’ll say it before and I’ll say it again. Part of the reason Seider is so low is because of a lack of scouting. It’s a similar situation to Petey, who was projected from 7-15

3 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

Regardless which Defenseman would you take over him except maybe Hughes. Stecher? Hutton? Pouliot? Biega? All similiar size but dont play anywhere as big as Bieksa did.

He just might have been my favourite player on that team.   He has a legendary origin story punching out that Russian dweeb...he thought he was done and instead got a job ha ha.  And didn’t disappoint.  If it wasn’t for his flutter ball against SJ in OT, they might have won and clawed back into the series...if you remember they were playing better than us for most of the series despite the record.  He also drove Eager mad (he hates KB) and his penalty cost them too.  Was one of the guys mentioned for the Conn Smythe (Luongo and Kesler too) before the Boston series started.    Love the guy.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I’ll say it before and I’ll say it again. Part of the reason Seider is so low is because of a lack of scouting. It’s a similar situation to Petey, who was projected from 7-15

Could also be his injury history

4 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I agree to an extent. I do believe that plays a large roll in why he has been ranked low. But I also believe it's his potential upside. I do not see him being a first pair D. I could obviously be wrong, and hope I am because he is my 2nd favorite player behind Boldy in this draft. I see him as a rock solid 2nd paring guy. I guy everyone would love to have on their team, but not a franchise changing D. Byram has that ability, even Broberg does. I don't believe any other D this draft, but what do I know.

For the record, I do not want Broberg at all.

1 hour ago, Deathrowe said:

I don't get it

They’re lineups. Trying to find suitable partners for both Petey and Hughes, and who he thinks fits into those roles