The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

if he would have chosen to not report to utica could his then 6.3m left on his contract then be terminated? Be stupid of him to not report, he aint gonna make that much in the nhl again

Per Botchford it's the Canucks that decided it would be best to loan him elsewhere.  At the time they had an excess of players and he would just be using a roster spot when they wanted to give the opportunity to their prospects.  

Edited by mll

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Lets face it Comets fans are always going to look at things differently than Canucks fans.  At the end of the day Canucks fans are primarily concerned with the development of a few prospects each year.  Comets fans who are paying to watch the team play want to see competitive hockey and hopefully winning hockey.  Being 2 - 7 at home while playing a listless style is not fun to watch.  When this team eventually moves out to Abbostford or Vancouver itself the priorities of the Canucks fans that spend their money watching them play will change to.

That is a tough stretch but your goalie is out for a prolonged period of time the big clubs injuries are piling up and you guys had good center depth but that got destroyed with the call ups and leadership probably wasn’t a problem until Gaunce Archinald and Beiga got called up. Not to mention that if you guys had all those people goals against would probably go down do to having more complete players.... you guys are dealing with exactly what we are dealing with in the big club LOTS OF KEY GUYS BEING OUT OF THE LINEUP. I know it’s hard to watch but just keep being a fan things will hopefully get better

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

That is a tough stretch but your goalie is out for a prolonged period of time the big clubs injuries are piling up and you guys had good center depth but that got destroyed with the call ups and leadership probably wasn’t a problem until Gaunce Archinald and Beiga got called up. Not to mention that if you guys had all those people goals against would probably go down do to having more complete players.... you guys are dealing with exactly what we are dealing with in the big club LOTS OF KEY GUYS BEING OUT OF THE LINEUP. I know it’s hard to watch but just keep being a fan things will hopefully get better

Comets fans are beaten down right now. Starting the season 2 - 7 at home is not a lot of fun and the home losing started before the injuries started to pile up.

The following quote from another forum sums up the sentiment well in Utica.  It came from one of the most positive fans who rarely speaks poorly about the team and always leads the cheering efforts in his section of the Aud.

"Let me first state I will always be a rabid Comets fan no matter what but I need to say a few things and ask a few legitimate questions.   I usually get vey vocal and animated during games but I decided to sit still last night and just watch.  This is what I see....I see a team with no direction...I see team who only shoots at the goalie’s chest over and over again...I see a team with no leadership at all and no sense of urgency...I see a team with no fire...I see a team full of lost rookies....I see a team that avoids the dirty areas...I see a team with no playmaking centers....Why aren’t we ever allowed to have centers?   I see boring, uninspired hockey played by guys who make it obvious they don’t want to be here imo....What is happening?  It kills me to see this over and over again.  It’s fine to lose if you give it your all.  This is not happening.   I will ALWAYS support this team but they are disappointing me right now.    #rightthisship"

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, mll said:

Per Botchford it's the Canucks that decided it would be best to loan him elsewhere.  At the time they had an excess of players and he would just be using a roster spot when they wanted to give the opportunity to their prospects.  

So instead, they end up bringing in ECHL pto guys to replace the young players.......  What they should have done is sent Gagner to Utica and see how he fits in or does not fit in and then make the proper decision at a later time. he can always be loaned out later or sent for future considerations. Knee jerk reactions almost never work. The Canucks did not even know how the youngsters were going to fare in the AHL.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mll said:

They have zero prospects at the center position right now. At the time when Gagner was waived the only prospect at center was Gaudette and everyone's playing time could have been managed. I can't believe that Botchford is drinking Benning's Kool Aid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

They have zero prospects at the center position right now. At the time when Gagner was waived the only prospect at center was Gaudette and everyone's playing time could have been managed. I can't believe that Botchford is drinking Benning's Kool Aid.

Not gunna lie I think this is a bit of an over reaction. If not for the injuries on the Canucks, both Gaudette and Gaunce would be on the comets right now. On top of that, Benning went out and got Kero specifically to be a top 6 centre in Utica. Canucks build up so much AHL depth in every position this offseason but injuries to the NHL club have off set that. 

Yeah the canucks don’t have many centre prospects (only pettersson, gaudette, and madden coming into the season) but it’s not like Benning left the AHL team bare. Injuries have crippled both clubs, it’s not anyone’s fault

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Not gunna lie I think this is a bit of an over reaction. If not for the injuries on the Canucks, both Gaudette and Gaunce would be on the comets right now. On top of that, Benning went out and got Kero specifically to be a top 6 centre in Utica. Canucks build up so much AHL depth in every position this offseason but injuries to the NHL club have off set that. 

Yeah the canucks don’t have many centre prospects (only pettersson, gaudette, and madden coming into the season) but it’s not like Benning left the AHL team bare. Injuries have crippled both clubs, it’s not anyone’s fault

I tend to agree with some of your argument but Vancouver did not really give them any "real depth" at center. Yes, they went and got Kero to replace Chaput and I think they were looking at Gaudette slotting in as #2 C, Darcy as #3 C and Bancks as #4 C but really had no one else that could play one of the top two C positions effectively and having Gaudette called up and Darcy injured has left a big hole that has not adequately been filled IMO.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Why not throw Jasek and MacEwen into the middle for a few games? Jasek played center in the tier 1 Czech league in a defensive role and Mac played C in the Q. It couldn't be worse than losing with the current lineup and it could provide the Cauncks with more options in the future if they turn into reliable centermen.

I am a bit surprised that they have not given that more of a try especially with Jasek already having some experience in that position.

"Big Mac" should get a look there as well but they may figure he is more valuable as a winger. 

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

There was also that interview by Comets' GM Ryan Johnson to the Athletic (paywall) at the start of the season where he mentions that they have 17 Fs and that Gagner would just be taking ice time away from prospects that they want to get up and running.  Also talks about how it's better for him as Toronto has direct connections to Vancouver where his wife and kids stayed.

41 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I am a bit surprised that they have not given that more of a try especially with Jasek already having some experience in that position.

"Big Mac" should get a look there as well but they may figure he is more valuable as a winger. 

My guess is they want to keep the prospects playing on the wing learning the pro game in the position they envision them in the NHL. That is why we get nothing but AHL plumbers in the middle for the Comets.

45 minutes ago, mll said:

There was also that interview by Comets' GM Ryan Johnson to the Athletic (paywall) at the start of the season where he mentions that they have 17 Fs and that Gagner would just be taking ice time away from prospects that they want to get up and running.  Also talks about how it's better for him as Toronto has direct connections to Vancouver where his wife and kids stayed.

It's water under the bridge at this point in time but it's now Johnson's job to go out and find a center to fix the previous mistake. Just as the former management team did in 2013 when they brought Cal O'Reilly in after they realized how weak the team they put on the ice in Utica was.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

My guess is they want to keep the prospects playing on the wing learning the pro game in the position they envision them in the NHL. That is why we get nothing but AHL plumbers in the middle for the Comets.

It also doesn't help the Canucks organization that the centers they have drafted recently are either forced to play in college or in Petterssons case went straight to the NHL. You look at our center prospects right now...it won't be changing in the near future either. Madden is in college so won't see him for a while. Gaudette is the best hope talent wise for the Comets this year, hopefully our NHL club will stay healthy the rest of the season so Gaudette can get some top line reps in the AHL.

As an organization overall this is a glaring hole in their development plan so far, no young promising centers in the pipeline to feed their AHL club. Hopefully this next draft they can focus on that, maybe get some good talent out of Europe in the 2nd/3rd round that can possibly play in the AHL as soon as next season. 

3 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

Comets fans are beaten down right now. Starting the season 2 - 7 at home is not a lot of fun and the home losing started before the injuries started to pile up.

The following quote from another forum sums up the sentiment well in Utica.  It came from one of the most positive fans who rarely speaks poorly about the team and always leads the cheering efforts in his section of the Aud.

"Let me first state I will always be a rabid Comets fan no matter what but I need to say a few things and ask a few legitimate questions.   I usually get vey vocal and animated during games but I decided to sit still last night and just watch.  This is what I see....I see a team with no direction...I see team who only shoots at the goalie’s chest over and over again...I see a team with no leadership at all and no sense of urgency...I see a team with no fire...I see a team full of lost rookies....I see a team that avoids the dirty areas...I see a team with no playmaking centers....Why aren’t we ever allowed to have centers?   I see boring, uninspired hockey played by guys who make it obvious they don’t want to be here imo....What is happening?  It kills me to see this over and over again.  It’s fine to lose if you give it your all.  This is not happening.   I will ALWAYS support this team but they are disappointing me right now.    #rightthisship"

Well you can’t be a good team forever parts need to be in place for that to happen ( Unless you are the Patriots ) I genuinely think once the Canucks get healthier the comet could start putting some piece together but the “uninspired hockey” I hate to say it but it looks like the comets after they get scored on it deflates the entire team. They need a real leader for that team but all I have to say is It sucks to suck.

3 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Well you can’t be a good team forever parts need to be in place for that to happen ( Unless you are the Patriots ) I genuinely think once the Canucks get healthier the comet could start putting some piece together but the “uninspired hockey” I hate to say it but it looks like the comets after they get scored on it deflates the entire team. They need a real leader for that team but all I have to say is It sucks to suck.

My suspicion is there are too many players on this team that are playing for themselves and for a call up and could care less about winning or losing.  If I'm correct then they are going about their business totally wrong and are not the type of players that you want to build around in the NHL.

2 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

My suspicion is there are too many players on this team that are playing for themselves and for a call up and could care less about winning or losing.  If I'm correct then they are going about their business totally wrong and are not the type of players that you want to build around in the NHL.

Could you name drop for me because I’ve been keeping a close eye on OJ and Dahlen and they seem to be playing their game