The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018-19 Utica Comets Thread

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I'm looking forward to getting some healthy bodies back on the Canucks so that we can send some players down to Utica.  Both teams are hurting right now!  

I'd like to see Goldy and Archie sent down once we get Sutter, Beagle and Sven back but we'll see what happens.  

Although personally I am getting tired of goldy, if you try to send him down another team picks him up for sure.

Edit: others have  already addressed this and I agree. That would just be stupid asset management. 

Edited by Kanukfanatic

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Although personally I am getting tired of goldy, if you try to send him down another team picks him up for sure.

Edit: others have  already addressed this and I agree. That would just be stupid asset management. 

If that asset isn't worth anything is it really bad asset management?

I can't see anyone giving up anything of any value for Goldobin. I mean how many teams have room in their top 6 for a guy that can't stick in our top 6? How many of these teams would trade anything for him if they knew they could just grab him off waivers if they knew that was a probability?

I can think of better players then Goldy that were picked up off of waivers.  

You only get 50 contracts, so with everyone clamouring to give out ELCs, we run into a situation where we simply can’t anymore.

On 10/11/2018 at 1:51 PM, Googlie said:

Utica beats Hartford 4 - 3 in a shootout.

Were up 1 - 0, then gave up 3 goals, but bounced back in the final 5 minutes for a 3-3 regulation tie, but took at penalty at the end of regulation, so had to kill off a full 2 minutes of 4 vs 3.

Nearly a mirror image of the Canucks today, although they were on the wrong side of the scoreline. Its interesting how perception works. The Comets result was gutsy and well done, whilst the Canucks result is a little deflating.

10 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I’m okay with that, he’s had lots of opportunities and I see guys like Motte, Leipsic and Gaudette as much better performers right now despite playing with EP and getting lots of PP time.

Leipsic?

Please, nothing good comes from ANYTHING he does. Have you not noticed that? The guy is like a robot that has been programmed to remember speed is good but the circuit called hockey IQ was never plugged in.

I would have Goldy any day before Leipsic (the David Booth clone that used inferior Chinese circuitry)

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I can think of better players then Goldy that were picked up off of waivers.  

You only get 50 contracts, so with everyone clamouring to give out ELCs, we run into a situation where we simply can’t anymore.

The Canucks currently have 6 players on IR and year after year they lead the league in man games lost to injuries. And since this is the Utica Comets forum they have their own issues with injuries forcing them to go back to the PTO well this early in the season just to put 20 players on the ice. And you want to unload a contract via waivers for Goldobin?

Didn't Goldy ring one off the crossbar in OT? A half inch lower and that is bar down for the game winner and this conversation would be even more absurd than it already is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

The Canucks currently have 6 players on IR and year after year they lead the league in man games lost to injuries. And since this is the Utica Comets forum they have their own issues with injuries forcing them to go back to the PTO well this early in the season just to put 20 players on the ice. And you want to unload a contract via waivers for Goldobin?

Didn't Goldy ring one off the crossbar in OT? A half inch lower and that is bar down for the game winner and this conversation would be even more absurd than it already is.

Everybody's frustrated with Goldy right now.  Even Green in his post-game comments indicated that, and for a change, instead of dogging him for his defence, got on him for his lack of production.

However, the fact that he would almost assuredly not clear waivers, indicates that he does have value.  Throwing that away because you're mad at him for not scoring goals, is not a way to run a professional organization.  Heck, even trying to trade him now, when his value is low, isn't wise management.  If you really think the guy is bunk, pump him up in the media, wait till he scores a few, and then start shopping him (something they might be doing with Pouliot right now).

Throwing him away off waivers, and replacing him with what, Motte or Leipsic, is emotive management and a sure way to run a team into the ground.

Edit.  Sorry wrong quote.

Edited by Dungass
  • Upvote 2

Comets signed Alex Kile to a PTO. 

http://www.uticacomets.com/news/detail/comets-sign-alex-kile-to-pto

I can remember him from his college days with Michigan. He was on that stacked Wolverines team with guys like Connor, Larkin, Hyman, Motte, Compher, Copp, Werenski, etc. At the time, it was not uncommon to hear people actually suggest that Kile was the most naturally talented player on that team. Great skater and a even better stickhandler, especially in tight spaces. Had a bag full of dekes and some nifty moves on breakaways/shootouts. Very slick overall skillset and capable of making some real showstopper plays. Dangerous shot and a good nose for the net. Put up some impressive numbers in his sophomore and junior years. Senior year he was playing hurt with an ankle issue, and his stats dramatically dropped off.

Kile hasn't exactly set the world on fire as a professional, splitting time between the AHL and ECHL, and putting up OK numbers, but nothing really that impressive.

Hard to say whether or not he'll ever become a successful pro, but do I like the Comets giving him a look. Some guys take a while to adjust. Especially when they start pro after a setback season (as Kile did with that injury). He might not amount to anything, but he also has the potential to be an excellent addition, if he were to catch on with Utica and rekindle some of what he had in his college game.

• Thanks 1

You guys are overvaluing Goldy. Forwards take the least amount of time to develop.  

Lets hope that he gets a few bounces going his way because his play has been on the decline ever since the Florida game. 

The good news is that Demko is back to skating with the team this week. With Nilsson also nearing a return, the Comets goalies will all get shuffled out in a couple of weeks. 

The Comets have a lot of rookies and first year pro's from the jr.'s is a big jump.  It is much harder to score, skate and be physical against 25 or 26 year old's.  It takes time to adjust.  You had to realize they were not going to be in Calder Cup Finals this year like many were predicting them to be. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Watching almost all the games this season, I am seeing a disturbing trend developing among a few of our players.  Everyone wants to impress, score, and get the call up to the bigs, resulting in a few selfish "try to do everything myself" attempts rather than utilize the teammates. (A notable exception is Dahlen, who imo needs to shoot more rather than pass off).

Maybe they were better when Boucher was around, as they seemed always to try to find him to let him unleash his snipes, and may revert to form when he returns.

Some random thoughts:

Most NHL ready forward. -  MacEwen.  Size, speed, abrasiveness, good hands, good backchecker and tied now with Boucher for team lead in points

Insane speed - Carcone (imagine Jake with afterburners)

Most surprising:  Arsenau (fast, scrappy, and not even Canucks property)

Most NHL ready D-man: Beezer (not OJ - see below)

Most wasted asset: Juolevi (1 out of 3 outlet passes tape to tape, great scoring rush; 1 out of 3 bobbled and lost by the passee (?)  and 1 in 3 picked off 

Most visible/mentioned any night: MacEwen, Kero, Woods, Dahlen, Carcone, among forwards, and Brisebois, Joulevi and Chatfield among defensemen

Kulbakov (again not Canucks property) pretty useful goaltender - very athletic although tends to overdo the puckhandling (often clears right into trouble having to scramble back)

Gadjovich invisible most nights, Palmu hustles but that's about it, Jasek, MacMaster and Woods need to use their linemates more

Powerplay an adventurs - just as likely to concede a shorty as to score

Not the same team without Boucher, Gaudette and Archibald (their season-starting complete 1st line and 1st unit PP)

34 minutes ago, Googlie said:

Watching almost all the games this season, I am seeing a disturbing trend developing among a few of our players.  Everyone wants to impress, score, and get the call up to the bigs, resulting in a few selfish "try to do everything myself" attempts rather than utilize the teammates. (A notable exception is Dahlen, who imo needs to shoot more rather than pass off).

Maybe they were better when Boucher was around, as they seemed always to try to find him to let him unleash his snipes, and may revert to form when he returns.

Some random thoughts:

Most NHL ready forward. -  MacEwen.  Size, speed, abrasiveness, good hands, good backchecker and tied now with Boucher for team lead in points

Insane speed - Carcone (imagine Jake with afterburners)

Most surprising:  Arsenau (fast, scrappy, and not even Canucks property)

Most NHL ready D-man: Beezer (not OJ - see below)

Most wasted asset: Juolevi (1 out of 3 outlet passes tape to tape, great scoring rush; 1 out of 3 bobbled and lost by the passee (?)  and 1 in 3 picked off 

Most visible/mentioned any night: MacEwen, Kero, Woods, Dahlen, Carcone, among forwards, and Brisebois, Joulevi and Chatfield among defensemen

Kulbakov (again not Canucks property) pretty useful goaltender - very athletic although tends to overdo the puckhandling (often clears right into trouble having to scramble back)

Gadjovich invisible most nights, Palmu hustles but that's about it, Jasek, MacMaster and Woods need to use their linemates more

Powerplay an adventurs - just as likely to concede a shorty as to score

Not the same team without Boucher, Gaudette and Archibald (their season-starting complete 1st line and 1st unit PP)

I agree with most of this.  MacEwen continues to progress and is currently the Comets most dependable scoring threat. Carcone has tremendous speed but when you mentioned players that want to do it all by themselves he is the first player that comes to my mind.

Brisebois and Sautner are the two most NHL ready defensemen with Breezer developing at the fastest pace. 

Dahlen has been more of a playmaker than scorer but still needs a more consistent effort. Jasek I expected more out of based on his success last season when joining the Comets in April. Gadjovich and Palmu still look overwhelmed. Kero doesn't stand out but has been effective. 

Most of the rest of the team are AHL contracted guys just to fill out the roster.

The team really misses Boucher and Archibald.

32 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

sad that Juolevi is lagging behind.

I wouldn’t say lagging. Just Vancouver has a few dmen in the AHL that might have an NHL future. Both Sautner and Brisebois are both older. Both probably have a more complete defensive game. There’s no need to rush Juolevi while passing over kids deserving a chance as well.

46 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

sad that Juolevi is lagging behind.

Not so much that, as I think he would shine more with NHL calibre forwards to receive his passes.  But he does need to hone his defensive game.  Can get knocked off the puck with a hard forecheck.  But his srengths are definitely his "vision" - skating, positioning and passing.  He is so fluid when on the move - reminds me a little of Bret Hedican with his stride, but maybe a shade slower.  Great acceleration from a standstill though.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

I agree with most of this.  MacEwen continues to progress and is currently the Comets most dependable scoring threat. Carcone has tremendous speed but when you mentioned players that want to do it all by themselves he is the first player that comes to my mind.

Brisebois and Sautner are the two most NHL ready defensemen with Breezer developing at the fastest pace. 

Dahlen has been more of a playmaker than scorer but still needs a more consistent effort. Jasek I expected more out of based on his success last season when joining the Comets in April. Gadjovich and Palmu still look overwhelmed. Kero doesn't stand out but has been effective. 

Most of the rest of the team are AHL contracted guys just to fill out the roster.

The team really misses Boucher and Archibald.

Yeah, you are right. I think maybe in his mind he doesn't believe any teammates can keep up with him so he doesn't utilize them the way, say, a Virtanen does.  But when he reaches the end boards on one of his solo breakneck speed rushes there must be a couple of forwards and maybe a D reaching the slot that can receive a pass, but he doesn't seem to be aware of them.