The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

This might sound a tad crazy BUT

iceman64

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Why stop at Hughes?

I say Green should adopt a total football strategy. ;) 

Total hockey. Every skater capable of playing every position.

Actually, while this was meant as a joke, I do like swaps and rotations in many hockey systems and tactics. And when it comes to Hughes, we’ll probably see quite a bit of positional shifting between the players who share the ice with him.

EDIT: Couldn’t make a “total football” post without adding a little Parquet Courts

Love that final lyric: 

“and f- Tom Brady!” :lol:

rolls eyes....  read my last post... before this one lol   

On 7/1/2018 at 10:13 AM, jmfaminoff said:

Jovocop was the last.

Jovo was the most underrated player of that era. 

During peak WCE Brian Leetch was asked about Naslund and Bertuzzi. He said you wouldn't have Naslund or Bertuzzi without Ed Jovanovski. When Jovo left Naslund wasn't the same player, and we had the rise of the Sedins who played a very different game. 

I've been saying we needed a pucking moving D badly ever since. Ehrhoff was actually pretty good, but I wanted Quinn Hughes in this draft more than anyone not named Dahlin. He is going to be a treat to watch. 

On 7/1/2018 at 8:34 PM, iceman64 said:

Hi, i watched some highlight clips and it struck me about Quintin Hughes and his speed and passing... what would he be like as a forward?  The thought of that passing ability in full out flight to Brock or Elias.. holy _ _ _ _!!!!!   Then it surprised me when i heard Bob Mckenzie describe him as a "roving D" because he's all over the ice with the puck on a string drawing players to him then finding his team mate open alone for a shot, then i thought of how many Brock and Elias would score off that...  ummm wow!!!  watch this with him as a forward in mind and see what you think? 

Thoughts??? 

I find this sentence very interesting.  There's a guy who has a podcast called Hockey Graphs who's hardcore into hockey stats.  On one of his podcasts he makes the suggestion of not having a rigid 3F 2D system but to have one of the D as a roving D.  If what you say is the case then we may get to see what it's like.

56 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Jovo was the most underrated player of that era. 

During peak WCE Brian Leetch was asked about Naslund and Bertuzzi. He said you wouldn't have Naslund or Bertuzzi without Ed Jovanovski. When Jovo left Naslund wasn't the same player, and we had the rise of the Sedins who played a very different game. 

I've been saying we needed a pucking moving D badly ever since. Ehrhoff was actually pretty good, but I wanted Quinn Hughes in this draft more than anyone not named Dahlin. He is going to be a treat to watch. 

Maybe but Jovo's point totals fell off by 50% each of the 2 years prior to leaving and this didn't have anywhere near the same effect on Naslund.  If Leetch said that then I respect his opinion; however, personally I think he was one of the most overrated defenseman.  If I had a dollar for everytime he turned the puck over in front of our goalie I'd be rich.

I think there will be times on the power play when you might get to see Hughes rushing up the ice like a forward. 

Like if a forward retrieved the puck from our zone and Hughes was up at the red line. His skills should allow him to transition up the ice like a forward and not just stop and spin right after entering the offensive zone. 

2 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Maybe but Jovo's point totals fell off by 50% each of the 2 years prior to leaving and this didn't have anywhere near the same effect on Naslund.  If Leetch said that then I respect his opinion; however, personally I think he was one of the most overrated defenseman.  If I had a dollar for everytime he turned the puck over in front of our goalie I'd be rich.

He was injured a lot those two years. Jovo was a turn over machine. While Hughes doesn’t have the physical tools of Jovo I think he will be an even better puck carrier

9 hours ago, dura_mater said:

I find this sentence very interesting.  There's a guy who has a podcast called Hockey Graphs who's hardcore into hockey stats.  On one of his podcasts he makes the suggestion of not having a rigid 3F 2D system but to have one of the D as a roving D.  If what you say is the case then we may get to see what it's like.

Well if you want a more direct way of saying it...  in a nutshell...   

the forward on his line on the same side had better know how to skate fast to get back and cover him when he decides to go for a skate because you never know where he'll end up..  or long pinches if he sees where a play and a puck are headed because he's fast and smart, he tries for anticipated interceptions but if there's a miss it's all going the other way and if his forward isn't back to cover then..  well you know how that works out.. 

On 7/1/2018 at 4:27 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

I think life in the NHL will be difficult enough for this kid as it is without the added complication of reinventing himself as a diminutive winger, though I appreciate the concept, not that it’s a new one.

41DDD67F-455E-4E6C-9C51-185245769BA8.jpeg.17ee609991a293494bd51b0966e83bf5.jpeg

Hahahaha lol. made my day. cheers 189lb :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

He's a great wheeling defence-man, he can easily deke out multiple players in the offensive zone. He will be deadly on the pp if he can play the same in the NHL. He was great at the summer showdown. I'd rather keep him on D and have hime open up shooting lanes and make the other team collapse and create scoring chances from the point and slot.

Archived