The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Charges Laid In Tragic Humboldt Crash

-DLC-

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And hence the president of law in this case needs to be set.  Lock up this murderer for life.  There is no defence for what he did.  

Murder again is the purposeful cessation of life, if it comes out that he purposefully tried to ram his truck into a bus filled with people, then yes I agree.

You're veering WAY off track here.  You're not considering the families of the victims as much as you should be.  Someone's recklessness tore their kid from them.  There's a price to pay in that in order to address the severity and significance in these actions.  Their lives are gone....if his is destroyed he can at least rebuild it.  But these families deserve this process because his "criminal" behaviour, as has been charged here, resulted in significant loss of life.  The only thing I'm thinking of is the families and justice for them.  Anything beyond that is short changing them.  Don't think of what's best for "society", "the driver", etc....keep the focus on the families and what's right FOR THEM.

10 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

OMG, seriously???  If they kill a bunch of people, yes.  

And the same crime doesn't always result in the same punishment...    If you punch someone in a fight, it's an assault.  If they die, it's suddenly much more serious.  You're undermining these lives here.  There was significant loss of life here.  This guy was driving a huge rig and on the job.  It's different.  He had a responsibility to do so in a safe manner.  He didn't.  The outcome does matter....when people die, then it's a whole bigger issue.  Sure, luck plays into that.  And he had some very bad luck when he chose to drive in this manner and it resulted in fatalities.

Right and if you punch someone in the face and it kills them, you do not go to prison for murder.  However when you punch someone in the face you did that on purpose with the intent to harm another human.   Thats like saying, if someone tried to swat a fly with their hand (and it was proved that this was true) and accidentally hit someone in the face and they died, does that justify jail time and a murder charge?  Of course not.  Should they have been more in control of their hand swatting a fly? Yes of course, that doesn’t mean you send the person to jail.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

You're veering WAY off track here.   

And I think, out of respect for the victims and their families, I'm done here.  I pray that they can heal and get the justice they so deserve.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

You're veering WAY off track here.  You're not considering the families of the victims as much as you should be.  Someone's recklessness tore their kid from them.  There's a price to pay in that in order to address the severity and significance in these actions.  Their lives are gone....if his is destroyed he can at least rebuild it.  But these families deserve this process because his "criminal" behaviour, as has been charged here, resulted in significant loss of life.  The only thing I'm thinking of is the families and justice for them.  Anything beyond is short changing them.  Don't think of what's best for "society", "the driver"....keep the focus on the families and what's right FOR THEM.

I feel terrible for the loss of life, I just don’t believe ruining another life does anyone any good and doesn’t benefit society in anyway and it doesn’t bring their children back.  I knew someone on that bus and he is dead.  Its a terrible tradegy.  Wrecking someone else’s life for something that wasn’t intentially done doesn’t make any sense.

I much rather have assaulters, thieves, murderers, rapists, sexual assaulters and people that tried to purposefully do harm to others in prison over someone who screwed up and didn’t actually intend to harm anyone.

Oh God...are you really comparing barreling down a road at highway speeds in a huge rig then failing to yield to oncoming traffic to using a fly swatter?  Quit please...in respect to those who died.   People are grieving and it's not the time or place.   Let it rest.  I'll start.....

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Oh God...are you really comparing barreling down a road at highway speeds in a huge rig then failing to yield to oncoming traffic to using a fly swatter.  Quit please...in respect to those who died.   Let it rest.  I'll start.....

You started by comparing this to punching someone in the face.  I took your example to show the logic in your argument.

Don’t just think about the kids.  Adults on that bus died too, including a family friend.

(I'd already edited from "kids" to those when you posted.  I do respect your comment.  Yes, you are right and I did start it so am also ending it...because it's not worth doing this and clouding the issue with a bunch of pointless arguing). 

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

(I'd already edited from "kids" to those when you posted.  I do respect your comment.  Yes, you are right and I did start it so am also ending it...because it's not worth doing this and clouding the issue with a bunch of pointless arguing). 

Agreed

55 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The other thing I must add is that he DID DO something on purpose, which was drive a big rig without the proper care and attention required.  That was a decision he made...to not pay close attention to the road.  Especially someone "new"....it was his responsibility to be extra cautious, alert and aware and ..... he didn't stop at a stop sign.  Obviously, in looking at the carnage, likely at a good rate of speed to blow apart a bus.  Those passengers didn't stand a chance as he blindsided them.  How does NOT adequately punishing him benefit anyone?   This benefits the families of the deceased who will get justice for this moment of recklessness that stripped them of their family member.  It wasn't a matter of "woops...sorry" here...this was a significant loss of life he created.

I have to say this and by no means is it in a racist manner , the authorities are well aware of how many bad commercial driver's that are on the roads and they are going to make an example of this you can be sure.  , as a driver myself 31 years , I started in a 1 ton ,then a class 3 then an air endorsement ,then a class 1 , similar to graduated licencing , but not quite , that's how I learned , I stated with moth ,ministry of transportation and  highways went thru privatization , finished in 2011 and  I have seen the very worst drivers, the ones that somehow slipped thru the cracks and wound up with a class 1 ?  this has to be looked at in BC ,alta  all across the country,obviously theres  people getting issued licences and they shouldn't.  over the years you could spot bad negligent  drivers usually in an older model   , burnt out head lites ,numerous burnt out  running lites or the truck burning black, but the real negligent driver is up north in the winter travelling at nite  , because most of the scales are closed   I have seen inexperienced drivers spun out on rainbow summit , across three lanes  the multilanes going up and the single lane down hill 7% grade(steep)  bald tires no chains , i've asked why didn't you stop at the bottom at the chain up lane and chain up?  my boss doesn't have chains for us :blink: wow ,  so these guys show up in march all the way from surrey to Rupert for a load of herring ,every late winter its the same dangerous , stupid crap from dangerous stupid drivers. that shouldn't be on the road period!

9 hours ago, chon derry said:

I have to say this and by no means is it in a racist manner , the authorities are well aware of how many bad commercial driver's that are on the roads and they are going to make an example of this you can be sure.  , as a driver myself 31 years , I started in a 1 ton ,then a class 3 then an air endorsement ,then a class 1 , similar to graduated licencing , but not quite , that's how I learned , I stated with moth ,ministry of transportation and  highways went thru privatization , finished in 2011 and  I have seen the very worst drivers, the ones that somehow slipped thru the cracks and wound up with a class 1 ?  this has to be looked at in BC ,alta  all across the country,obviously theres  people getting issued licences and they shouldn't.  over the years you could spot bad negligent  drivers usually in an older model   , burnt out head lites ,numerous burnt out  running lites or the truck burning black, but the real negligent driver is up north in the winter travelling at nite  , because most of the scales are closed   I have seen inexperienced drivers spun out on rainbow summit , across three lanes  the multilanes going up and the single lane down hill 7% grade(steep)  bald tires no chains , i've asked why didn't you stop at the bottom at the chain up lane and chain up?  my boss doesn't have chains for us :blink: wow ,  so these guys show up in march all the way from surrey to Rupert for a load of herring ,every late winter its the same dangerous , stupid crap from dangerous stupid drivers. that shouldn't be on the road period!

Wow very interesting post, good insight

23 hours ago, mpt said:

Ve;ry true.  However sending someone to prison when he isn’t a threat to society for making a mistake isn’t a good idea.  Send people to prison when they are a risk to society.  If he is guilty of anything then ban him from driving, dont send him to prison

Negligently operating an 18 wheeler is a threat to society.  Sadly proven in Saskatchewan.

negligence, or, professional industry standard starts from ownership, to the mechanics bay, to the pavement.  The former is what occurred.

it is not simply “making” a mistake in this case.  The whole company is responsible for a series of mistakes, most likely wilfully, and it resulted in a horrific tragedy.

plenty of other “speaker at schools” opportunities elsewhere.  This man deserves jail and the company to be never liscensed again.

34 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Negligently operating an 18 wheeler is a threat to society.  Sadly proven in Saskatchewan.

negligence, or, professional industry standard starts from ownership, to the mechanics bay, to the pavement.  The former is what occurred.

it is not simply “making” a mistake in this case.  The whole company is responsible for a series of mistakes, most likely wilfully, and it resulted in a horrific tragedy.

plenty of other “speaker at schools” opportunities elsewhere.  This man deserves jail and the company to be never liscensed again.

We shall wait and see what evidence there is to what actually happened before passing judgement.

11 hours ago, mpt said:

Right and if you punch someone in the face and it kills them, you do not go to prison for murder.  However when you punch someone in the face you did that on purpose with the intent to harm another human.   Thats like saying, if someone tried to swat a fly with their hand (and it was proved that this was true) and accidentally hit someone in the face and they died, does that justify jail time and a murder charge?  Of course not.  Should they have been more in control of their hand swatting a fly? Yes of course, that doesn’t mean you send the person to jail.

If you punch someone in the face and kills him, you will go to jail.  Not for murder, but for manslaughter.   The sentence for manslaughter is much less severe than murder but you can expect some time in jail.

8 hours ago, DonLever said:

If you punch someone in the face and kills him, you will go to jail.  Not for murder, but for manslaughter.   The sentence for manslaughter is much less severe than murder but you can expect some time in jail.

Exactly but it’s not murder and you aren’t called a murderer

10 hours ago, riffraff said:

exactly , this is GROSS negligence ,not only from he driver, but the owner as well .more than likely  the driver unfamiliar with the trucks power to get to speed , but the trucks ability to slow down/stop, and then there's the blowing the of stop sign ,the driver contends the sun was in his  eyes . earlier  in the thread I posted  a compass , he's travelling due west 270 degree's  the sun setting at 5 oclock  would be in the south western skies 210 to 230 give or take. this is NOT  the reason it's the excuse ,and a poor one at that. IF the sun was in his eyes that would be more the reason to slow down. so when you couple this cop out with the owners continuance of the company you simply cant forget the result of the accident ,no matter how they want to construe it . now the actual accident sight the roads were bare and dry , minus temps , but dry.  But what employee respecting boss would send out a very green employee ,in the winter? where you just cant rely on the roads being bare. in fact in the winter ,for a professional driver 'due care and attention' gets kicked up a knotch or 10. the fact that the drivers own boss has such a low regard for his own drivers welfare ,it doesn't give me any hope that other similar companys would get the message ,even if the driver was jailed for a long time.   on a Friday at 5 oclock i'm thinkin he's in a real hurry to get back to Calgary which from the accident point puts him out 8,10 hours. given the 13 hour restriction and the peat moss he picked up earlier  more than likely he's at the 9 hour mark already, bear in mind  the companys violation record on drive time. looking at the truck I see 3 different tread styles on the drives . I've seen enough . theres way to much of this rinky dink truckin in this country. this was only a matter of time at a undetermined accident site. this tragedy hits home for me 3 ways ,family ,hockey ,trucking.

humboldt_truck.jpg.size-custom-crop.0x650.jpg

A date has been set for the first court appearance for the semi driver facing 29 charges in the fatal Humboldt Broncos bus crash on April 6.

Jaskirat Sidhu will appear in Melfort, Sask., provincial court at 9:30 a.m. local time Tuesday.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4320413/humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-arrest-jaskirat-sidhu/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalBC

Archived