The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Charges Laid In Tragic Humboldt Crash

-DLC-

Trucker is facing 14 years in jail.  Might as well build more jails if they are going to throw everyone in jail for creating accidents. Not to condone what he did but throwing him in jail for over a decade is a  ridicilious.  Hundreds of drunk drivers who have killed/injuried  havent spent a day in jail.  Government officials who have created lax trucker driving regulations should be the ones in jail.  

8 minutes ago, bolt said:

Trucker is facing 14 years in jail.  Might as well build more jails if they are going to throw everyone in jail for creating accidents. Not to condone what he did but throwing him in jail for over a decade is a  ridicilious.  Hundreds of drunk drivers who have killed/injuried  havent spent a day in jail.  Government officials who have created lax trucker driving regulations should be the ones in jail.  

14 years isn’t enough.  Guy should be locked up for life.  

13 minutes ago, bolt said:

Trucker is facing 14 years in jail.  Might as well build more jails if they are going to throw everyone in jail for creating accidents.

I think he's going to the slammer for gross negligence. In the end, his failure to stop at the stop sign ended up in this happening.

13 minutes ago, bolt said:

Not to condone what he did but throwing him in jail for over a decade is a  ridicilious.  Hundreds of drunk drivers who have killed/injuried  havent spent a day in jail.  Government officials who have created lax trucker driving regulations should be the ones in jail.  

Very solid point. The fact that the trucking industry has been corroded so badly in the last few decades is a direct contributing factor to how these accidents happen. Putting horrible drivers on the road behind the wheel of a semi is deplorable.

2 minutes ago, bolt said:

Intended to run the stop sign.  All drivers, who murder people, because they choose to make their car a weapon should be locked up for life.  Maybe if the punishment for such actions were severe, there would be far less of these tragedies?

I fall somewhere in the middle of this debate.

While I agree with those who state that nothing will be served by sending the driver to jail for 14 years (or life...) the severity of the result dictates that at least some jail time is warranted. If nothing else, as a deterrent to future tragedies occurring because of this kind of negligence.

To be clear though, I believe the negligence in this case is not simply limited to the driver's actions. (or inactions, as it were) Poor training, lack of regulation, systemic pressure on drivers to meet unrealistic deadlines all play a part as well.

IMO, a sentence of a few years is warranted in this case, but I disagree with those who would treat the driver as if he were a murderer.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Intended to run the stop sign.  All drivers, who murder people, because they choose to make their car a weapon should be locked up for life.  Maybe if the punishment for such actions were severe, there would be far less of these tragedies?

I'm going to guess that you were calling for Dany Heatley to be locked up for life, after he "murdered" Dan Snyder, correct?

On 7/6/2018 at 1:27 PM, Hugor Hill said:

He charged the Stop sign. It's pretty obvious from looking at the crash site photos.

Agree.....the minute I saw the picture of the scene, it was obvious what happened......the truck driver had a stop sign......didn't see anything coming (due to the trees to the left of him blocking the bus) and decided he wouldn't bother to stop.  Lazy driver and looked what resulted.  

On 7/6/2018 at 2:31 PM, Alflives said:

Yup.  Driver didn’t want to take the time to gear down, and stop.  Then start back up again, going through all the gears.  I bet the trucker was running through these stop signs all the way.  

Totally agree Alf.......was talking to friends about it and said the same thing....he didn't want to bother gearing down and stopping........

4 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Nope. Just driving like an idiot.

Of course you’re right on this matter, but it’s maddening what this driver did (running through a stop sign) and the tragic results.  Is there a punishment that would get drivers to be responsible? 

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Murder is different than gross negligence, Alf. I think it's been proven that the driver ran the stop sign and in doing so destroyed the bus and many lives on it.

I don't believe that he ran the sign with the purpose of killing those people on the bus. His lazy, pathetic, and selfish actions led to the deaths of multiple people, and therefore he will be in a cell for 14 years. Vehicle related accidents that result in the death of innocent people should be met with far stiffer sentences for sure. If you're caught drinking and driving, you should lose your license for life. If you're drinking and driving causes the death of an innocent person, you should be put away for good.

But this is Canada....

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Of course you’re right on this matter, but it’s maddening what this driver did (running through a stop sign) and the tragic results.  Is there a punishment that would get drivers to be responsible? 

Hard to say. As I mentioned earlier, I think jail time is warranted and it might serve as a deterrent, but I don't believe that a life sentence is appropriate.

To put things in perspective I have a class 1 drivers license and I don’t even know how to start a semi truck. 

Why do I have one? The guy just gave me one cause I knew him through an acquaintance. Last I heard he got fired though, and I’m sure theirs many other suspect class 1 licenses out there.

Where do we draw the line?  How many people rear end other cars without any real consequence.  People have been ruined with broken backs and back/neck issues should the driver at fault have jail time? 

5 minutes ago, bolt said:

Where do we draw the line?  How many people rear end other cars without any real consequence.  People have been ruined with broken backs and back/neck issues should the driver at fault have jail time? 

Whiplash.

Junior hockey team dead.

i see a line.

4 minutes ago, bolt said:

The line should be drawn at the point where the driver's incompetence/negligence/failure to be aware of signage results in a horrific loss of life.

That's why this person is being given a fourteen year sentence. He had literally no excuse for not stopping at the sign. Now if the bus ran the stop sign and he hit it, very different story.

There are plenty of horrible drivers on the road who shouldn't be licensed to driver because they are useless. Licensing bodies across the country should have to bear fault for allowing some people to operate a motor vehicle when they clearly are oxygen thieves.

Archived