The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Charges Laid In Tragic Humboldt Crash

-DLC-

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Intended to run the stop sign.  All drivers, who murder people, because they choose to make their car a weapon should be locked up for life.  Maybe if the punishment for such actions were severe, there would be far less of these tragedies?

You honestly saying he intended to run a stop sign and cause an accident that he too would be involved in and made his truck a weapon?

Are you being serious?

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

So he would not have to slow down ie gears.

most likely that wasn’t the first stop sign he blew.

cmon man.  

And you know this how? I've yet to hear anything mentioning he intended to run a stop sign...

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You will during the trial.  This guy is headed for prison, and for a very long time.  

Ok but why are you jumping to conclusions as if it is a proven fact when the trial hasn't even begun?

You proved what most posters on social media showed me....They lack common sense, jump to conclusions, already have their minds made up, don't even know how the system works.

Just now, JV77 said:

Ok but why are you jumping to conclusions as if it is a proven fact when the trial hasn't even begun?

Good point.  It’s an opinion forum.  My opinion is the driver blew through this stop sign (as he had been doing along the way) because he didn’t want to gear down and stop.  

7 minutes ago, JV77 said:

And you know this how? I've yet to hear anything mentioning he intended to run a stop sign...

He had a stop sign, and he didn't adhere to it. There wasn't inclement weather and the incident didn't occur at night.

Being a "professional" driver, he has literally no excuse for not stopping at the sign. A sign that was very clearly in his visual field.

Yes, no one can state with certainty about the man's intent, as none of us were in the cab at the time, but his gross negligence caused the accident, regardless of intent.

2 hours ago, bolt said:

Trucker is facing 14 years in jail.  Might as well build more jails if they are going to throw everyone in jail for creating accidents. Not to condone what he did but throwing him in jail for over a decade is a  ridicilious.  Hundreds of drunk drivers who have killed/injuried  havent spent a day in jail.  Government officials who have created lax trucker driving regulations should be the ones in jail.  

While I agree with some of this, the underlined part really diminishes the result of this accident.  This man, while on the job driving a big rig likely at highway speed, failed to yield to traffic and ran a stop sign.  He didn't just "create an accident"....his actions resulted in a significant loss of life.  So let's not water it down and throw it in the pool of fender benders here.

2 hours ago, redhdlois said:

Agree.....the minute I saw the picture of the scene, it was obvious what happened......the truck driver had a stop sign......didn't see anything coming (due to the trees to the left of him blocking the bus) and decided he wouldn't bother to stop.  Lazy driver and looked what resulted.  

Dangerous driving is SO important.  When vision is obscured, nothing should be taken for granted as "clear".   Expect the unexpected is how I learned ... so this driver was, in fact, lazy and likely assuming when he should have been making sure!

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hard to say. As I mentioned earlier, I think jail time is warranted and it might serve as a deterrent, but I don't believe that a life sentence is appropriate.

Me either.  Do some time, but I don't feel in any way, shape or form that "life" is warranted in this.  A fourteen year sentence seems fair. as he won't do all of that.

41 minutes ago, bolt said:

Where do we draw the line?  How many people rear end other cars without any real consequence.  People have been ruined with broken backs and back/neck issues should the driver at fault have jail time? 

When you rear end someone it could be due to an abrupt stop by them or other factors.  Sure, there should be ample room to stop but, again, comparing to things like this?   This is the part you're ignoring:  on the job; driving a huge rig that requires extra care and attention, on a highway so speed was something to consider, limited vision due to trees, stop sign.  He should have slowed down and stopped.  Period.  The fact that all those factors come into play and he just blew through an intersection?  Even IF he had the right of way, slowing down to make sure is being cautious.  Blowing through is not.

People with issues are still alive....many people died here.  There's a difference.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/jaskirat-singh-sidhu-first-appearance-humboldt-broncos-crash-1.4740373

He's out on bail with conditions....

Accused in deadly Humboldt Broncos bus crash released on bail

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu faces 16 charges of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death

jaskirat-singh-sidhu.jpg
Truck driver Jaskirat Sidhu walks out of provincial court after appearing for charges due to the Humboldt Broncos bus crash in Melfort, Sask. (Canadian Press)

The driver of a semi-trailer in a crash involving the Humboldt Broncos hockey team bus has been released on bail following his first court appearance Tuesday in Melfort, Sask.

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 29, is charged with 16 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death and 13 counts of dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing bodily injury.

While on bail, Sidhu will not be able to operate a motor vehicle, will have to stay in communication with RCMP and will have to give up his passport. Bail was posted at $1,000.

Crown and defence worked out the agreement to release before appearing in provincial court before Judge Inez Cardinal, who accepted it.

Sidhu was charged after the collision in April. The bus, carrying players, the coach and other personnel, had been heading to a playoff game in Nipawin, Sask.

Representing families

Outside court, the father of Evan Thomas, one of the players who died, said it was important to be in the courtroom.

"I think I caught his eye once," said Scott Thomas. "In case this goes to a plea bargain, at least he can put my face to it."

He said he wanted to represent the families who couldn't attend the hearing so they'd "at least have a presence in the building."

scott-thomas.jpg
Scott Thomas, father of Humboldt Broncos player Evan Thomas, said it was important to attend the court appearance. (Olivia Stefanovich/CBC)

Ultimately, he wasn't surprised Singh was released on bail.

"It was what we expected," said Thomas. "The process is what it is." 

Sidhu_court_arrival_2500kbps_852x480_127

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu arrives at Melfort provincial court.

00:00 00:25

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu arrives at Melfort provincial court. 0:25

Bail issues

A criminal defence lawyer said he's not surprised that Jaskirat Singh Sidhu was granted bail.

In most cases, it's up to prosecutors to prove whether the defendant should remain in custody. That means the accused is usually released by the Crown.

"This prevents unnecessary delays in court proceedings," said defence lawyer Brian Pfefferle.

It's also usual for Crown and defence lawyers to meet before court to avoid a bail hearing and come to an agreement.

A judge can deny bail if he or she believes the accused won't attend court, if public safety is at risk or if other the circumstances of the case warrant denying bail.

Last week, the RCMP said convictions for dangerous operation of a vehicle causing death can result in a sentence of up to 14 years in prison, while a conviction for injuring someone could land someone in prison for 10 years.

Sidhu was arrested in Calgary on Friday and was remanded into custody. 

The crash occurred at a rural intersection 30 kilometres north of Tisdale. According to RCMP, the bus had the right of way, and the semi was in the intersection when the vehicles collided.

There is a flashing stop sign for drivers on Highway 335 at Highway 35 between Nipawin and Tisdale.

Sidhu had only been working for Calgary-based Adesh Deol Trucking Ltd. for a month. 

According to his LinkedIn profile, he made his way to Canada on a student visa in 2013 to study for a diploma in business administration at Calgary's Bow Valley College.

Sidhu will make his next court appearance in August.

humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-graphic.jpg
The bus was travelling northbound on Highway 35. The semi-trailer was coming from the east on Highway 335. The semi had a stop sign and the bus did not. The force of the collision sent both vehicles into the northwest corner of the crossing. (CBC )

Corrections

• An earlier version of this story said incorrectly that Jaskirat Singh Sidhu faces 16 counts of first-degree murder. In fact, the 16 charges involve dangerous operation of a motor vehicle causing death.
    Jul 10, 2018 9:58 AM CT

18 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He had a stop sign, and he didn't adhere to it. There wasn't inclement weather and the incident didn't occur at night.

Being a "professional" driver, he has literally no excuse for not stopping at the sign. A sign that was very clearly in his visual field.

Yes, no one can state with certainty about the man's intent, as none of us were in the cab at the time, but his gross negligence caused the accident, regardless of intent.

Obviously he ran it but to say he intended to run it is so outrageous.

As a professional I agree he has to be held to a higher standard but anyone who holds a license to drive has no excuse to run a stop sign.  But errors happen with everyone. 

I gurantee if you drive as do I, we both have missed stop signs or ran red lights before.  No one does it intentionally.

11 minutes ago, JV77 said:

As a professional I agree he has to be held to a higher standard but anyone who holds a license to drive has no excuse to run a stop sign.  But errors happen with everyone. 

I gurantee if you drive as do I, we both have missed stop signs or ran red lights before.  No one does it intentionally.

Driving a big rig, there must be some forethought about having to stop...when entering an intersection, especially so.   He was driving professionally in a big rig at highway speeds...there's an extra level of responsibility there.  He failed in taking the necessary precautions. 

Intentional or not....he failed to operate that vehicle in a safe manner and caused multiple deaths as a result.  Everything else is chatter.   We're not talking about you or I....I have never done what he has done here.  So let's stick to that, because it's significant.

Your "guarantee" falls short, in that it stops at running a stop sign.  He rammed a bus full of kids to the other side of the road, killing a good portion of them.  He didn't just "miss a stop sign"....he collided in a big rig with a bus that had the right of way.  Don't cut it off at the part that sounds insignificant and harmless...it was anything but.  This was life altering for many families, who probably don't accept your version.  If we have "no excuse" don't give him one either.

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Driving a big rig, there must be some forethought about having to stop...when entering an intersection, especially so.   He was driving professionally in a big rig at highwayspeeds...there's an extra level of responsibility there.  He failed in taking the necessary precautions. 

Intentional or not....he failed to operate that vehicle in a safe manner and caused multiple deaths as a result.  Everything else is chatter. 

How have you already proven he failed to take necessary precautions?  I guess case closed forget going to court....Let the trial go and stop jumping to conclusions, you aren't the 

Everything else isn't just chatter, its all important to a trial.

2 minutes ago, JV77 said:

And I addressed that point in the previous post. We have no way of knowing what his intent was.

As a professional I agree he has to be held to a higher standard but anyone who holds a license to drive has no excuse to run a stop sign. But errors happen with everyone.

As stated previously, this was gross negligence. To refer to it as an error is ridiculous. Again, this person is driving a massive vehicle that needs extra time to stop, due to it's payload. Running a stop sign on a rural road early in the morning is negligent.

I completely disagree with this. There are plenty of drivers out there who could give two $&!#s about road signs or traffic lights. If you aren't able to adhere to them, get out of the car.

12 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And I addressed that point in the previous post. We have no way of knowing what his intent was.

As stated previously, this was gross negligence. To refer to it as an error is ridiculous. Again, this person is driving a massive vehicle that needs extra time to stop, due to it's payload. Running a stop sign on a rural road early in the morning is negligent.

I completely disagree with this. There are plenty of drivers out there who could give two $&!#s about road signs or traffic lights. If you aren't able to adhere to them, get out of the car.

Imo common sense and rationale tells me know one would ever intentionally run a stop to sign and cause and accident to kill people when you will be invoolved in especially when you could be the one seriously hurt or killed.

You think I don't give two $&!#s when on a few times it has happened?  Gtfo out I gurantee you have made errors driving as has any human.

14 minutes ago, JV77 said:

How have you already proven he failed to take necessary precautions?  I guess case closed forget going to court....Let the trial go and stop jumping to conclusions, you aren't the 

Everything else isn't just chatter, its all important to a trial.

He ran a stop sign.   That's failing to take necessary precautions ... he's in a rig and entering an intersection with a flashing red.  He didn't stop.

It is important to find out, but it'll be hard to find anything different here.  Unless it was mechanical failure, which I believe has been ruled out.

14 minutes ago, JV77 said:

i watched an interview with hayley wickenheiser  about parents concerns with travelling on bus's , having travelled on school bus's in minor hockey rep team tourneys , and mci coachs later in jr.B sr.A it is scarey.    and driving truck as long as I did ,I can tell you the more time you spend travelling the more likely you will be involved in an accident. but this guy had 1 month experience . no he had no intention , but driving a 7 axle b train , fully loaded does take some gearing down (170,000 LBS GVW MAX), more than likely a fuller 18 speed transmission, i'm not buying into the 'to lazy' to gear down theory , he wasn't paying attention, cell phone, eating ? i'm sure the authorities know. (intentionally)  no family of any of the 16 people who lost their lives (intentionally)let their son's or daughters go on this trip knowing they weren't coming back. I CANT IMPRESS ENOUGH OF HOW NEGLIGENT THIS INEXPERIANCED DRIVER IS!

Archived