The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Adam Clendening

1 hour ago, smokes said:

The guy's ceiling was a 5th or 6th defenceman. Most of his time was at the AHL then Chicago played him 4 games before cutting him loose. The basically Philip Holmed him.

Again. That's incorrect. His ceiling was considered to be higher than that. Here's even a blurb from back when he was in Chicago, before he was with us:

“We don’t expect him to be a Duncan Keith kind of skater — probably more like Brent Seabrook. Brent is not a lightning-fast guy; he’s a powerful skater, and he’s a big strong guy. Adam is a smaller version of that. Adam plays a physical style, kind of like Seabrook does, but he just doesn’t have the size to be able to do that. So we’ve got to work with him on his own end, being able to contain players and defend them. But once he gets the puck and moves up the ice with it, he’s very gifted.”

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/the-education-of-adam-clendening/c-613142

On 13/11/2018 at 10:55 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

ftfy

The complaining about Forsling hasn't quite reached peak-Corrado, but it was close for a while there.  

I wouldn't call him a 'good prospect'. He's borderline. He's Edler without the size, shot or as much skill and while its nice to have more prospects he'd be behind Juolevi, Sautner and Breisbois. 

McEneny, Chatfield

55 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The moment Hedberg got taken out when he skated out to challenge the shooter, the camera panned over to Chris Levesque.  I have never seen (and have yet to see) a person chew gum faster or harder than he did at that time.  

Pretty sure his internal thoughts were ":frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic::frantic:"

Can't remember who it was that was sitting beside him, but whoever it was said, "Don't worry kid, he'll get up."

that was so awesome to watch.  Thanks for the trip down memory lane

On 11/13/2018 at 1:26 PM, skolozsy2 said:

To add on, Rockford went to the conference finals last year with Forsling eating up large minutes.  It terms of progress, closing out the season in Rockford instead of on a dreadful Hawks team was way better for him.

But for what that's worth, Forsling has played 66 games in Rockford thus far in his career.

And he has 20 career AHL points.

He's 22 years old now.   And the lineup he's looking to crack is not quite the Blackhawks blueline of 2014, when Van acquired him.

The relevance - is that Clendening at age 20, 21 was scoring 105 AHL points - in 147 games....

So if the measure is 'eating large minutes in Rockford' - then clearly there was every bit as much rationale for Benning acquiring Clendening - perhaps feeling that Forsling's size in defending (while not being an elite offensive defenseman) was as limiting as Clendening's skating.  Who knows.

In any event - a reasonable enough hockey trade (particularly when you factor that Clendening is the rarer RHpmd) - reasonable risks  and reasonable chances of being middle/bottom pairing NHL D.  

And beyond that, whether it's Clendening or Forsling that is added to make that Sutter deal, I include either of them to get that done.

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

But for what that's worth, Forsling has played 66 games in Rockford thus far in his career.

And he has 20 career AHL points.

He's 22 years old now.   And the lineup he's looking to crack is not quite the Blackhawks blueline of 2014, when Van acquired him.

The relevance - is that Clendening at age 20, 21 was scoring 105 AHL points - in 147 games....

So if the measure is 'eating large minutes in Rockford' - then clearly there was every bit as much rationale for Benning acquiring Clendening - perhaps feeling that Forsling's size in defending (while not being an elite offensive defenseman) was as limiting as Clendening's skating.  Who knows.

In any event - a reasonable enough hockey trade (particularly when you factor that Clendening is the rarer RHpmd) - reasonable risks  and reasonable chances of being middle/bottom pairing NHL D.  

And beyond that, whether it's Clendening or Forsling that is added to make that Sutter deal, I include either of them to get that done.

Not sure why you're quoting me, I made no reference to the Clendenning or the trade involving him and Forsling. I was just adding on to mll's post on why Forsling closed out the season in Rockford was good for his progress and his confidence. 

As to Clendenning, I agree with you 100%, when each player was 20-21, Clendenning looked like the better prospect.  He was big, offensive, right handed, carried a heavy shot....Hawks had some high hopes for him.  Unfortunately, all it took was a few games with the big club to see that the guy couldn't skate at the NHL level these days.

Hawks got Forsling out of Clendenning, and the Canucks turned Clendenning into Sutter.  Not sure what either club should be complaining about.

Not too sure why posters are referencing Clendening getting us Sutter. There were 3 parts going to Pittsburgh, Bonino was the main part, the swap of draft picks was a sweetener and Clendening was a throw in. In the handful of games he played here, it was clear that he was ( is ) a tweener. He had little value.

When we acquired Clendening, it was the one move that JB made that I was against. ( yes......I actually loved the Vey trade when it happened ) Was not against Clendening, but had just watched the world juniors and hated to lose Forsling.

4 hours ago, SingleThorn said:

Not too sure why posters are referencing Clendening getting us Sutter. There were 3 parts going to Pittsburgh, Bonino was the main part, the swap of draft picks was a sweetener and Clendening was a throw in. In the handful of games he played here, it was clear that he was ( is ) a tweener. He had little value.

When we acquired Clendening, it was the one move that JB made that I was against. ( yes......I actually loved the Vey trade when it happened ) Was not against Clendening, but had just watched the world juniors and hated to lose Forsling.

Clendening : "Trevor told me the deal wasn't happening until l was included, at least that makes me feel good." #Canucks

— NEWS 1130 Sports (@NEWS1130Sports) July 28, 2015

8 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

Not sure why you're quoting me, I made no reference to the Clendenning or the trade involving him and Forsling. I was just adding on to mll's post on why Forsling closed out the season in Rockford was good for his progress and his confidence. 

As to Clendenning, I agree with you 100%, when each player was 20-21, Clendenning looked like the better prospect.  He was big, offensive, right handed, carried a heavy shot....Hawks had some high hopes for him.  Unfortunately, all it took was a few games with the big club to see that the guy couldn't skate at the NHL level these days.

Hawks got Forsling out of Clendenning, and the Canucks turned Clendenning into Sutter.  Not sure what either club should be complaining about.

Neither club is complaining, just the fickle fans looking for any excuse to be upset about Benning and using hindsight for their argument.

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Clendening : "Trevor told me the deal wasn't happening until l was included, at least that makes me feel good." #Canucks

— NEWS 1130 Sports (@NEWS1130Sports) July 28, 2015

Hmmm......okay thanks, but 9 games doesn't really convince me that Pittsburgh thought highly of him. Traded to Anaheim who promptly put him on waivers and lost him to Edmonton. Maybe Trevor was being a good friend ?

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Hmmm......okay thanks, but 9 games doesn't really convince me that Pittsburgh thought highly of him. Traded to Anaheim who promptly put him on waivers and lost him to Edmonton. Maybe Trevor was being a good friend ?

He was still a prospect when Pittsburgh traded him, they probably saw what we did in that there was still some developing to be done. They acquired Hagelin who was integral to their cup runs and perhaps Anahiem insisted that he be included in the deal as well. Anaheim probably wanted to develop him on their farm team and was snagged by a team desperate for defensemen. He clearly was a hot commodity, but in hindsight all those changes for him could have hurt his development.

At the end of the day, the trade when the Canucks acquired him made sense at the time and they were able (needed) to use him to improve the team so he wasn't a loss for us.

Archived