The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Lol right..

After what Trump said about using this as a bargaining chip? How can it not? And now it seems like a game of who can out petty who and it's the Canadians who are getting the brunt of it. The US and China getting into it but it's Canada is is getting punched around by both sides. The US knows what kind of diplomatic mess it is going to drop on the Canadian gorvernment. It never considered the ramifications it will have on Canada or did not care. If they did, they would not have put Canada in the no win situation in the first place.

3 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

yeah, but again, if one of them were "unjustly arrested", Meng wouldn't be at their bail hearing. Meng don't care. 

In this case, I don't think it is necessarily a support for her per say but a protest against the principal behind the arrest.

13 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Right now is seems lose-lose for Canada for sure.   Crap spot to be put in - will give Trudeau kudos so far on this one for not throwing gas on the fire.

yeah they're taking really the only approach they can at the moment and being very low key about the Kovrig arrest. We're a "soft power" country, which means we have to tread carefully but we're also not without some means to influence things. Trump throwing us under the bus doesn't help. 

13 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

EXACTLY!!! :lol:

Seriously though.  It's an unavoidable "evil" when 2 countries share such a large border with each other.  Canada could have said and still can say "no", but it has much more to lose if it does. 

I think Trump is enjoying the spot Canada is in tbh. He's clearly not going to intervene to support Canada on this, so my feeling is the next time we get an extradition request Canada needs to respond that we just didn't have the staff to cover the situation and the person of interest slipped through. Sadly thats kind of believable anyway. 

1 minute ago, BPA said:

So Canada has detained her for the US.  Why is it taking so long to hand her to the US and let it be their problem? 

She's a bargaining piece. I assume they're going to use this piece as long as possible, and the deadline is somewhere in February to turn her over. I suspect she will remain here until then..

1 minute ago, BPA said:

Hand her over to the US consulate or at the border. 

"Here.  Now she's your problem" .

doesn't work that way tho, she has rights to a hearing. So that whole process with evidence hearings, petitions, etc. can go on for years. And the US probably wants it to. 

There are rumors that Huawei's upper management (which would include the CFO) were putting corporate interest above that of the Country (China) and it has ruffled some feathers in Beijing. Remember she is not that close with her Father (who is close with Xi) who didnt really support either of his kids running the company. I find it odd that a woman with such means and definite knowledge of the US warrant would take the chance of stopping in a country with an extradition treaty. And one would have to think the Chinese government would have warned her about stopping in Vancouver.  I think there is more to this than just the violation of sanctions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think Trump is enjoying the spot Canada is in tbh. He's clearly not going to intervene to support Canada on this, so my feeling is the next time we get an extradition request Canada needs to respond that we just didn't have the staff to cover the situation and the person of interest slipped through. Sadly thats kind of believable anyway. 

I don't think he enjoys it so much as he doesn't care about Canada being in the middle.  This arrest was initiated by the US Justice Dept. and Trump will milk it for all it's worth.

Before I went to sleep last night I was watching Meek Mill talk with Lemon about his time inside. He was mentioning the hardships of being stuck in the system. Young men getting threatened with 40 yr sentences, so they take lesser sentences of around 4 or 5 yrs for crimes they didn't commit.  They cave to this because they are poor, afraid and lied to. They will get a public defender for 5 mins and that's about it. They can't afford a lawyer and essentially the rest of their life is ruined. He spoke of the fear he had listening to the screams of rape while he was inside. Since his sentence he has hired people that have proved cops lied about his case as he also was prosecuted for a crime he claims he didn't commit.

Sorry to derail, but looking at the hardship of this exec 1%'er...thinking about the decline of the middle class, the increasing political divide and poverty. I can't help but not give two flying F's about her greed, Trumps use of her as a political hostage, Canada's unfortunate USA's 'lap dog' image  this has caused and all the rest of the bought and paid for hypocrites. This bail is all 1%'er bull, if you have enough money you live in a different reality. Enjoy your time reading a book and being with family you poorly done by rich clown. 

I can see the courthouse from where I live. There were so many reporters....'look a rich person is in trouble! and because she is rich and has influence, she is soo much more important than everyone else'. I know it affects us all as it has direct implications to economies but I am criticising the attempt to receive empathy for her issue. Her daft (paid?) group of supporters, her home country threatening grave consequences? human rights violation?!  Screw ya. Rot in jail....but not many white collar criminals do, do they? 

I need another coffee.

On 12/6/2018 at 12:46 PM, Dazzle said:

I don't know the law on this one. Is this arrest legally justifiable?

She wasn't fleeing and there wasn't an arrest warrant. Why is Canada in charge of arresting her on behalf of the US? The US should have zero jurisdiction here.

100% agree.

If she's done nothing wrong in Canada, she should have no problems while here.

A Supreme Court putting a gag order on an international issue screams shade and smells fishy.

It tells me the American Natzi Party, aka Trump Administration, is, once again, meddling in Canadian affairs and bending our spineless government to their will.

Let the Americans do their own dirty work.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

100% agree.

A Supreme Court putting a gag order on an international issue screams shade and smells fishy.

It tells me the American Natzi Party, aka Trump Administration, is, once again, meddling in Canadian affairs and bending our spineless government to their will.

actually she requested the gag order, and we are just following our treaty with the US on holding people requested for extradition. We have a reciprocal deal with the US if we ask for people in a similar way. 

40 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I don't think he enjoys it so much as he doesn't care about Canada being in the middle.  This arrest was initiated by the US Justice Dept. and Trump will milk it for all it's worth.

yeah thats probably true. He may have enjoyed the moment between bites of a cheese burger and quickly moved on to Pelosi. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

actually she requested the gag order, and we are just following our treaty with the US on holding people requested for extradition. We have a reciprocal deal with the US if we ask for people in a similar way. 

Sorry if my facts are wrong. Reading the article led me to believe it was the crown that wanted it kept under wraps.

The same still applies as far as whether or not she's done wrong according to our laws.

4 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Sorry if my facts are wrong. Reading the article led me to believe it was the crown that wanted it kept under wraps.

The same still applies as far as whether or not she's done wrong according to our laws.

there's lots of misinfo out there, its our new age of rapid fire bs media.

You don't have to have broken a Canadian law to be held for extradition. 

It must be a nightmare working for the US government right now.

(CNN)Top law enforcement officials on Wednesday pushed back on comments from President Donald Trump suggesting the prosecution of a Chinese telecommunications executive could be used as leverage in trade negotiations.

"What I do, what we do at the Justice Department, is law enforcement. We don't do trade," assistant Attorney General John Demers, the department's top national security official, said at a Senate hearing. 
"We follow the facts and we vindicate violations of US law. That's what we're doing when we bring those cases, and I think it's very important for other countries to understand that we are not a tool of trade when we bring the cases," he added.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

100% agree.

Maybe before you spread more misinformation, you should bone up the facts of the case or just read some of the more insightful comments on this thread.

1.  It is perfectly legal for Canada to arrest Meng because of the Canada extradition agreement with the US.   The Canadian government is merely following the rule of the law.

2.  The Courts did not put a gag order on Meng.  She requested one.

3.  The case got nothing to do with Trump because it is the Justice Department of the US who is after her.  The case against Meng actually started around 2008-2010 during the Obama administration when Huawei violated the ban on trade to Iran.  So it is not Trump who ordered the arrest of Meng; he did not even know in advance she would be arrested.    The Justice Department is supposed to be independent of the White House.

But now Trump wants to intervene in the case which is totally wrong.   If Trump intervenes, he will be under mining the Justice Department.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Maybe before you spread more misinformation, you should bone up the facts of the case or just read some of the more insightful comments on this thread.

1.  It is perfectly legal for Canada to arrest Meng because of the Canada extradition agreement with the US.   The Canadian government is merely following the rule of the law.

2.  The Courts did not put a gag order on Meng.  She requested one.

3.  The case got nothing to do with Trump because it is the Justice Department of the US who is after her.  The case against Meng actually started around 2008-2010 during the Obama administration when Huawei violated the ban on trade to Iran.  So it is not Trump who ordered the arrest of Meng; he did not even know in advance she would be arrested.    The Justice Department is supposed to be independent of the White House.

But now Trump wants to intervene in the case which is totally wrong.   If Trump intervenes, he will be under mining the Justice Department.

thats a good summary. This thing isn't going away anytime soon.