The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

30 minutes ago, DonLever said:

So it is not Trump who ordered the arrest of Meng; he did not even know in advance she would be arrested.    The Justice Department is supposed to be independent of the White House.

But now Trump wants to intervene in the case which is totally wrong.   If Trump intervenes, he will be under mining the Justice Department.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I assumed Trump might have been given the heads up like JT. I wonder if Justin took in to consideration the political noise this would make? 

I know we have a legal agreement but if Trump uses this the way he seems to be leaning, I like Jimmy's idea for the future ...we don't have the staff, this one slipped through our hands.

16 hours ago, smokes said:

That statement makes me feel like this is a hostage situation.

What I got out of it, was I felt Canada was doing a favor for the US by detaining her, but now hearing Trump and how he may use it for helping their trade war, it's like she's a bargaining chip now for them, so I say let her go if that's how they want to play it over there, and once she's released he has no bargaining chip anymore, why are we doing the US a favor if they really don't care about her unless it helps their trade deal, screw them I say.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

What I got out of it, was I felt Canada was doing a favor for the US by detaining her, but now hearing Trump and how he may use it for helping their trade war, it's like she's a bargaining chip now for them, so I say let her go if that's how they want to play it over there, and once she's released he has no bargaining chip anymore, why are we doing the US a favor if they really don't care about her unless it helps their trade deal, screw them I say.

Hate to say it but Trump played Trudeau. He's claiming he had no knowledge that she was going to be arrested and now he's going to look like a hero to the Chinese for getting her freed from those evil Canadians....

51 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Hate to say it but Trump played Trudeau. He's claiming he had no knowledge that she was going to be arrested and now he's going to look like a hero to the Chinese for getting her freed from those evil Canadians....

That's only if Canada allows for an extradition then Trump will, time will tell all depends on what Canada decides.

Human rights violations seem like a different topic to me. This is a tit for tat based on tech stealing and IMO you dont have to look far to find MAJOR players involved in almost every country in the entire world. What a ridiculous world we live in now. 

The US ex presidents are guilty of this very same thing in spades. What a can of worms. The USA is screwing themselves internationally. When a top official or company head gets arrested in some third world country or for that matter in europe we wont hear the end of the whining.

Looks like people are still confused about how this all works.

1 - Trump didn't ask for the arrest to be made. It was the DOJ

2 - Once the request was made, Canada didn't have a choice. With have an extradition treaty with the US that compels us to act.

3 - The Chinese aren't stupid. They know who orchestrated the arrest and who is ultimately to blame. They aren't happy with Canada, but they know our hands were tied.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

2 - Once the request was made, Canada didn't have a choice. With have an extradition treaty with the US that compels us to act.

3 - The Chinese aren't stupid. They know who orchestrated the arrest and who is ultimately to blame. They aren't happy with Canada, but they know our hands were tied.

And now two Canadians are at the behest of the Chinese government, who as we all know is a beacon of human rights....

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Absolutely they know who is behind this but they wont punish the US for it while trying to negotiate a trade deal thats for sure. Canada may get hammered though but that the price of of helping (being played by) your neighbor. As the old saying goes; nice guys finish last. 

19 hours ago, DonLever said:

Maybe before you spread more misinformation, you should bone up the facts of the case or just read some of the more insightful comments on this thread.

1.  It is perfectly legal for Canada to arrest Meng because of the Canada extradition agreement with the US.   The Canadian government is merely following the rule of the law.

2.  The Courts did not put a gag order on Meng.  She requested one.

3.  The case got nothing to do with Trump because it is the Justice Department of the US who is after her.  The case against Meng actually started around 2008-2010 during the Obama administration when Huawei violated the ban on trade to Iran.  So it is not Trump who ordered the arrest of Meng; he did not even know in advance she would be arrested.    The Justice Department is supposed to be independent of the White House.

But now Trump wants to intervene in the case which is totally wrong.   If Trump intervenes, he will be under mining the Justice Department.

Maybe you should read follow up posts where I've already "boned up" as you put it and apologized for any misunderstanding I read into the article I'd read.

42 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Absolutely they know who is behind this but they wont punish the US for it while trying to negotiate a trade deal thats for sure. Canada may get hammered though but that the price of of helping (being played by) your neighbor. As the old saying goes; nice guys finish last. 

Personally, I think it's mostly posturing on the part of the Chinese. The two detained Canadians are worrisome, but I see it as a bit of a fishing expedition. They have to know that we won't renege on a treaty agreement with the Americans.

That fact is, if China/Huawei really wanted Meng back, they'd spirit her out of the country, now that she's free on bail. 10 million is chicken scratch to a company that big.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Personally, I think it's mostly posturing on the part of the Chinese. The two detained Canadians are worrisome, but I see it as a bit of a fishing expedition. They have to know that we won't renege on a treaty agreement with the Americans.

That fact is, if China/Huawei really wanted Meng back, they'd spirit her out of the country, now that she's free on bail. 10 million is chicken scratch to a company that big.

I agree. We have fostered some good will with China as well and unlike MBS I think they are more agenda driven rather than ego driven so spoiling a functional relationship would theoretically make little sense. 

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Do people honestly believe that Trump's finger prints aren't all over this?!?! This is how he does business. Trudeau just got a lesson....

16 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Do people honestly believe that Trump's finger prints aren't all over this?!?! This is how he does business. Trudeau just got a lesson....

Are people so determined to criticize Trudeau that they'll ignore the fact that he had nothing to do with the extradition treaty between Canada and the US and that Canada has no choice but to honor it?

Apparently so....

2 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Are people so determined to criticize Trudeau that they'll ignore the fact that he had nothing to do with the extradition treaty between Canada and the US and that Canada has no choice but to honor it?

Apparently so....

It is truly sad how many people think that being P.M. or President for that matter, means that their words must be instantly obeyed.

They must think we are voting in an all powerful dictator to a 4 year term.

44 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Apparently so....

I'm not criticizing Trudeau. He got schooled by someone who has been a cut throat business man for  the majority of his life. No disrespect intended to JT. Just saying Trump is a scumbag and JT needs to be careful in ANY dealings with him. 

• Wat 1

43 minutes ago, gurn said:

It is truly sad how many people think that being P.M. or President for that matter, means that their words must be instantly obeyed.

They must think we are voting in an all powerful dictator to a 4 year term.

Lol I am the first to acknowledge that Presidents and PMs have little actual power. But Trump saw an opportunity to make himself look like a hero to the Chinese government. If people can't recognize that then I feel for them...

7 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

I'm not criticizing Trudeau. He got schooled by someone who has been a cut throat business man for  the majority of his life. No disrespect intended to JT. Just saying Trump is a scumbag and JT needs to be careful in ANY dealings with him. 

No, he didn't. The situation has nothing to do with either of them.

• Haha 1