The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Huawei CFO arrested.

Violator

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

When you have people with occupations of "housewife" and "student" buying up multi-million dollar houses or purchasing many apartments... it's safe to say they aren't really following the rules now, are they?

Many CBC's and other non-Mainland Chinese aren't big fans of Mainlanders either.  Heck... many of my relatives who went through the Cultural Revolution and the "Great Leap Forward" aren't fans of the Mainlanders of today.  It's not a race issue, it's those people inability or unwillingness to integrate with Canadian values.  

Why not? Parents buying houses and real estate for their children is a very common thing over here. We have all seen the frugal Chinese parents save and scarpe their pennies so their kids couls have a more comfortable future. It is no different than when parents pay for their children's tuition. It's interesting to me how people like to complain about the real estat market being purchased by the Chinese when the Americans are buying up all the companies. But yet, there is less of an uproar over that.

In integrating with Canadian values, the Chinese are not the only ones. I've been to many places in Surry where I can't read the signs that are not Chinese or English. But that is up to the Canadian government and it's vision for a vertical mosaic. If the government chose to make Canada into a melting pot, things would be a little different. But that happens everywhere you go. There are tons and tons of people from Canada, America, Austrailia, Britan etc. who have come to China and all they do is hang out with other Expats and don't really talk to the Chinese people here. Much like Canada the people who come here live 10-15 years here and don't even speak a lick of Chinese. If you go to Thailand, you will see tons of Americans who have lived there for years and never integrated. People stick with thier own people and that's just the way it is. I know what you are talking about with CBC's hating on FOB's because I grew up doing the same thing. But after living here and understanding the people and the way they live in this country things changed.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

Why not? Parents buying houses and real estate for their children is a very common thing over here. We have all seen the frugal Chinese parents save and scarpe their pennies so their kids couls have a more comfortable future. It is no different than when parents pay for their children's tuition. It's interesting to me how people like to complain about the real estat market being purchased by the Chinese when the Americans are buying up all the companies. But yet, there is less of an uproar over that.

The problem is when the money is not legitimately earned and the house is not looked at as a home but a way to hide illicit funds. I understand there is racism and many people use this issue to target Chinese Canadians but that doesn't mean the issue is driven by racism. It's not just the Chinese, when someone is buying a property and investing that much money into a property, we need to know that the money is legitimate. This is an issue for the Chinese government too as these fraudsters are scamming China and investing in real estate in Canada.

In integrating with Canadian values, the Chinese are not the only ones. I've been to many places in Surry where I can't read the signs that are not Chinese or English. But that is up to the Canadian government and it's vision for a vertical mosaic. If the government chose to make Canada into a melting pot, things would be a little different. But that happens everywhere you go. There are tons and tons of people from Canada, America, Austrailia, Britan etc. who have come to China and all they do is hang out with other Expats and don't really talk to the Chinese people here. Much like Canada the people who come here live 10-15 years here and don't even speak a lick of Chinese. If you go to Thailand, you will see tons of Americans who have lived there for years and never integrated. People stick with thier own people and that's just the way it is. I know what you are talking about with CBC's hating on FOB's because I grew up doing the same thing. But after living here and understanding the people and the way they live in this country things changed.

Would you describe those people as "Chinese" then? Because to me to be a part of any country you have to understand the culture and the values of that country and I don't see how you can do that if you refuse to interact with those who have always lived there. Even if you struggle with the language, making an effort is appreciated. 

Edited by Toews

15 hours ago, smokes said:

Canada welcomes Chinese money, not the people. Universities have massive Chinese enrollment numbers because international student tuition is much higher than tuition for a local student.

I completely disagree with the statement that Canadian coaches don't give children of Chinese descent a chance. As someone who can say with relative confidence that I've played more hockey than 99% of the people on the boards, I can say that I've never witnessed any such favoritism on the part of a coach. Being a minor hockey coach is a selfless and often thankless task, but the vast majority are fair and honest.

I won't get into the debate that you and Strome are engaging in, but I will say that what you state above is true. I work at a college and we actively recruit overseas, partially to fill seats, but also in large part for the extra tuition.

At orientation this fall, we had several students from India, a few from Nigeria and two from South Korea. No Chinese, but I'd guess that they mostly attend schools in the lower mainland.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I won't get into the debate that you and Strome are engaging in, but I will say that what you state above is true. I work at a college and we actively recruit overseas, partially to fill seats, but also in large part for the extra tuition.

But would you say that those students are then treated unfairly? Yes, the larger tuition fees they pay are an incentive for the school but I can’t say I’ve ever heard any stories of Chinese students being treated unfairly. They’re given the same opportunity as other students of other ethnicities. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

But would you say that those students are then treated unfairly? Yes, the larger tuition fees they pay are an incentive for the school but I can’t say I’ve ever heard any stories of Chinese students being treated unfairly. They’re given the same opportunity as other students of other ethnicities. 

Nope. Other than paying higher tuition, they're treated exactly the same as domestic students.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

Which is what’s ultimately being argued here. I’m hard-pressed to think of a country that’s more welcoming to the Chinese. 

Yeah, I don't agree with Canada being unwelcoming to Chinese. (or anyone for that matter) The only thing I was backing up was the fact that International students pay higher tuition.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Nope. Other than paying higher tuition, they're treated exactly the same as domestic students.

Giving foreign students BC graduation credit / diplomas  whether they can or can not master the BC curriculum.....

Looks like a money grab to many........

Is BC the most corrupt North American  jurisdiction other than Mexico ? 

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Giving foreign students BC graduation credit / diplomas  whether they can or can not master the BC curriculum.....

Who says they're being given diplomas when they can't handle the curriculum?

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

D.C is pretty corrupt.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Who says they're being given diplomas when they can't handle the curriculum?

Grade inflation continues at some private schools .  Significant discrepancies between marks for course work and provincial exams; mostly among international students

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/grade-inflation-continues-at-some-private-schools-1.1829688

57 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Grade inflation continues at some private schools .  Significant discrepancies between marks for course work and provincial exams; mostly among international students

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/b-c/grade-inflation-continues-at-some-private-schools-1.1829688

Meh. I don't think a 4 year old article about discrepancies at a few small, private schools suggests that BC is "the most corrupt NA jurisdiction"....

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

They do get some more leniency in regards to some courses.  

I remember helping to proofread an essay for my friend from Korea.  She eventually got a B on it... but if I handed in the same paper I'd be lucky to even get a C.  

Not saying she didn't work very hard, but profs aren't as focused on grammar, spelling, etc., when it comes to international students.  

18 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

They can't bring their parents money with them. That is pretty unfair. 

4 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

She has two Vancouver homes where she spends two weeks a year at them, max. 

If you needed a clearer example of why foreign ownership like this should be banned, this is it.

Why can't people own property in other countries?

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Because she doesn't actually live here, and takes the opportunity away from someone who does. 

The cost of the properties she owns, if she doesn't buy it how many others can afford it? If she was buying up a million to 5 million dollar homes is one thing but she's not in competition with people who are on less of a budget.

Edited by smokes