The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vegas - Vancouver

Quantum

This is more of a minor deal but it addresses one of the Canucks biggest urgencies which is the Canucks need for a healthy third string goalie.

I was on Capfriendly and noticed that Vegas has 5 goalies signed. Fleury, Subban, Dansk, Lagace, Fucale (and technically Dylan Ferguson too but he's still in the WHL).

Vegas is gearing up for another long playoff run and they have a few forwards injured for the next while. So my thinking was.

Vegas

Zachary Fucale

Vancouver

Brendan Gaunce

My thinking -- This is a swap of two higher ranked prospects who haven't exactly panned out. Fucale is obviously on his second team but has been stuck in ECHL purgatory despite leading Canada to a WJC medal + two Spengler Cup medals. He's on a depth chart that includes Dansk, Subban, and Lagace and probably doesn't factor into any long term plans for VGK. Vegas will need to move out a goalie this offseason, anyways, to make room for Dylan Ferguson who is about to make the leap from the WHL to the pros next Fall. And the chances of the Golden Knights needing there 5th string goalie are very low. This is a way to get some value out of a piece that they may not end up re-upping in the summer. For the Canucks, it's an opportunity to buy low on a goalie who still has some upside and could be a great tandem partner with Micheal DiPetrio next season and it's a chance to acquire a goalie who the Canucks coaching staff may develop some faith in as it's clear the Canucks coaching brass has zero faith in Richard Bachman. It's also unclear when or if Bachman will ever return from his injury.

Brendan Gaunce probably is at the end of his rope as a Vancouver Canuck. A Mike Gillis pick, he's never really been able to crack the Canucks lineup and has been surpassed on the depth chart by the likes of Zach MacEwen, Josh Leivo, Adam Gaudette, Tyler Motte and even Tanner Kero. I just don't see his place in the long term here on this Canucks team. With that said, he has nearly 100 games of NHL experience and would be a good fit for a Vegas team looking to shore up there depth going into another long playoff run. Having already cleared waivers, Gaunce can be stashed in the AHL until he's needed. He's also on a team friendly contract and removing Gaunce from Utica clears another body on a crowded forward corps in Utica.

The deal is very reminiscent of the Brendan Leipsic for Philip Holm deal the Canucks and Golden Knights made last season. It's a  low risk/high reward deal for both teams.

Thoughts?

I also toyed with an Evan McEneny for Zach Fucale deal too mostly based around Jim Benning's comments that McEneny isn't likely to get called up this season and Vegas could use some more defensive depth for a playoff run too.

Also, to sweeten the deal on the Canucks end, without throwing in a pick, Canucks could toss in Matt Brassard or Dmitry Zhukenov's rights to get the deal over the hump.

Again, thoughts?

I actually like having Gaunce way more than a goalie prospect/project which is useless to us. We already have Demko/Dipietro in the pipeline and Markstorm is playing well, why do we need another goalie project? If Gaunce plays better he can slot in our bottom 6 which will be way more useful to us. He is actually close to ppg in AHL.

A 3rd string goalie is definitely needed but I think management will be patient and try to claim a goalie off of waivers when teams get healthy and need to make room for their regulars as they approach the playoffs.

I don't like the idea of trading away an asset for a short term solution.

DiPietro will be in Utica next season and will benefit from having an experienced goalie backing him up, whoever that may be.

12 minutes ago, The Beagle had landed said:

A 3rd string goalie is definitely needed but I think management will be patient and try to claim a goalie off of waivers when teams get healthy and need to make room for their regulars as they approach the playoffs.

DiPietro will be in Utica next season and will benefit from having an experienced goalie backing him up, whoever that may be.

I don't think its hurting DiPietro by having him with the team for a couple of weeks. Gives him a better perspective of what life in the NHL is like, makes him want it more. This has probably been a really good experience for him, he's had access to a much higher level of coaching and one of the best goalie coaches in the world.

Let him go win the Memorial cup again and then apply all that experience to Utica next year.

We look solid in net for the next 5 to 8 years.

3 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

The flaw here is that you can't claim a goalie and then send him down. He's got to clear waivers again and the team who originally waived him can claim him and then, if there's no other takers, move him straight to the minors.

The Canucks are clearly hoping to see this strategy come to fruition with Mike McKenna except Philly put him onto a two week conditioning stint in the AHL (without needing to use waivers). And just did the same with Brian Elliott meaning McKenna will not be sent down for at least another two weeks.

So the Canucks are left with 3 options.

Wait for McKenna

Sign a netminder

Trade

Trade seems more likely.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Vegas - Vancouver

Archived