The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP: Young Stars Tourney

Glug Datt

On 2/14/2019 at 4:28 PM, GarthButcher5 said:

If I recall, it was Brian Burke while with the Flamers that wanted the tournament to be at other locations instead of just Penticton...his suggestion was Red Deer. Pretty laughable...Burke just vying to have control over everything but it would be fair to rotate the locations but really....anyone should be able to figure out that Penticton in September is far superior to Red Deer any time of the year.

Pretty ignorant comment.

Got to go to last year’s tournament and I thought it was a fun little tournament perfect for the fans from other parts of BC to be involved with NHL teams and the Canucks in particular. It was fun watching EP, Gaudette, Dahlen, DiPietro and the crew destroy the Jets. But I did get the feeling that this tournament might not continue if the Jets choose to bail out. Last year they invited 2 University team’s to play 2 exhibition games there as well, but that is not the solution.

I understand why the Alberta team’s want to have the games at Red Deer for both geographic and economic reasons but which city would fans want to spend a weekend at during September: Penticton or Red Deer? And that’s your answer.

Archived