The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linus Karlsson | C

22 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Even though Karlsson is listed as a center and was drafted as a center, he has primarily played the past two seasons on the wing (he can interchange between LW and RW). The only time he saw center duty was on the powerplay where he occasionally took some faceoffs.  

At this stage, I wouldn't consider him a center option for the NHL. Even though he has had SHL success, he still has a ways to go before you can consider him a reliable top 9 piece in the NHL, let alone a top 9 center in this league. To put him into a third line position with Hoglander (who in his own respects may have trouble cracking the NHL roster and has his own defensive deficiencies that landed him in Boudreau's dog house) is asking for a defensive mess. Not a chance Boudreau, Allvin, or the development staff are going to throw this kid to the wolves or compromise his development like that. At the development camp scrimmage he lined up on the right wing as Chase Wouters centered his line. Its a pretty good indication that they don't view him as a center and his trajectory will be on the wing.

Expectations need to be tempered here. I have been banging on his drum for the past two seasons as someone to keep an eye on, but realistically he still needs to refine his game, which would be better served in the AHL to start.  Don't make the same mistake of rushing him into the lineup like they did with Hoglander (IMO has shown that he probably should've started his career in the AHL with Utica not with Vancouver), its okay to let some prospects marinate and mature. We have options to serve as a stop gap until Karlsson proves himself ready to rejoin the parent club.

What more does he have to prove?  He was a top 9 scorer in the entire SHL.  We have Hoglander playing for us and he showed Far less and his SHL stats were not nearly as impressive, SHL is no joke.  

Hoglander had a bad year but he's shown he can play a defensively reliable game, if he's put on a line with Mikheyev that's even better.   I'm more optomistic about Karlsson, he has a lot of talent. 

Allvin stated earlier in the year he wanted to find new destinations for Pearson and Dickinson.  We'll find room for Hoglander

11 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Linus Karlsson, talks with NHL.com on his excitement coming to play in North America:

VANCOUVER -- Linus Karlsson surpassed the rookie goal scoring record set by Elias Pettersson in the Swedish Hockey League last season and the Vancouver Canucks forward prospect believes that success can translate in North America this season.

Karlsson (6-foot-1, 178 pounds) was named SHL rookie of the year after the 22-year-old had 46 points in 52 games for Skelleftea, including 26 goals, two more than Pettersson scored in 44 games in 2017-18.

"I scored some goals so of course I got some confidence, and I will try to bring it over," Karlsson said during Canucks development camp, which was held July 10-15. It ended with him scoring two goals in a final-day scrimmage. "I will score goals and take the puck to the net, but it's going to be hard. I will work on it every day and look at videos to improve my game and we'll see, hopefully I score some goals over here too."

Karlsson is used to things being hard since he was drafted by the San Jose Sharks in the third round (No. 87) of the 2018 NHL Draft, then was traded to the Canucks on Feb. 25, 2019, for forward Jonathan Dahlen.

A switch from center to wing in 2020-21 played a role in Karlsson's 51 points (20 goals, 31 assists) in 52 games with Karlskoga in Allsvenskan, Sweden's second division, and his move to the SHL last season.

"It hasn't been easy at all," Karlsson said. "It's been a tough way, but I'm proud of that way and I have still a bit to go. I want to play in the NHL so I'm going to work on the same things I've done up to now and try to do everything better."

Karlsson is expected to start the season with Abbotsford of the American Hockey League, but the Canucks believe his strength around the net and willingness to go to those areas and battle for loose pucks should translate well to the smaller ice surface in North America, while also limiting some of the exposure created by questions about his skating.

"His skating has improved, and for some guys on the big ice vs. small ice, I think actually he will be better," general manager Patrik Allvin said. "As a 22-year-old you are much more mature. And with his experience of playing pro hockey in Sweden last year, I definitely think he understands what his strengths and weaknesses are and how to be successful in this League."

Allvin noted there will be spots at forward open with the Canucks. If Karlsson can adjust quickly and bring last season's form, it's not hard to envision him playing NHL games this season.

"He does some things in traffic that not a lot can," Canucks assistant to the GM Ryan Johnson said. "He's not afraid of the hard areas, and the way he can get the puck off his stick, he's an exciting player for us. When he gets around better players it only elevates his game. He can find those areas, and when people get him the puck it's usually in the back of the net."

https://www.nhl.com/news/linus-karlsson-hoping-to-bring-scoring-touch-to-vancouver/c-335280894

I think it's a great sign he wants to come to Vancouver.  There's a chance he makes the Canucks big team outright but even if he spends a bit of time with the baby Canucks it's still a really good spot for him.  It feels like for the first time in a long time there's been some thought put into our player development.  Like moving out of Utica and into Abby was a major Boon.  The Sedin's can give Karlsson some hands on coaching and mentorship. I can only see it as a massive improvement.  Great article!   

• Cheers 2

On 7/17/2022 at 7:10 AM, Boudrias said:

Isn't this so typical in Canuckland. I am certainly hoping this 'immediate demand' for prospect success is over in Vancouver. My hope is that all players coming into the org, without NHL experience, spend 25-40 games in Abby before they see a NHL game. Rushing players into the NHL can hurt the player and the Canucks long term. 

Karlsson isn't 20 though, he's 22 and his last 2 seaasons in both the Alsvenskin and the SHL were pretty good.  I think anytime you can crack the top 10 in scoring in the SHL its a positive.  And nobody expects him to be an immediate star but I dont think being a solid 3rd line contributor is out of the question 

• Cheers 3

On 7/17/2022 at 8:27 AM, Googlie said:

Yeah - those AHL games sure helped Petey get off to a 10 goals in 10 games start to his NHL career^_^

Little bit tongue in cheek ... I agree in principle, but occasiomally talent will trump the norm.  Not saying that LK has EPs talent, but he did break EPs SHL rookie record (albeit older).  2 things that will hold LK back are his lack of foot speed and his unfamiliarity with NHL-sized rinks,  both of which will be remedied by games in Abbotsford.  For sure he'll see a few games this season with the big club, but likely not as a center

hE's gOnNa nEeD tImE tO AdJuST to tHE nOrTH aMeRiCaN IcE

• Sad 1

On 8/23/2022 at 11:51 AM, Googlie said:

Not quite the same situation as it was with Bo.

He has that extra gear, like most Swedes do.  Petey has it, as did Naslund (like most European players do who grew up playing on the Olympic size rinks). They play consistently at around 80 - 85% of their potential, but can crank it up when needed -  LK showed that at prospects' camp.

What they need to adjust to, with the smaller rink, is how much faster everything is ... D-men closing gaps, forecheckers, etc.  Biggest hurdle for them is to learn to go at 100% or thereabouts all the time.  It's noticeable how much more ready the Europeans are who have played in the Canadian junior leagues, and are used to the smaller rinks.  More and more clubs in Europe are changing to a smaller rink - more commonly the Finnish standard than the NHL, but close enough to not be a factor when transitioning from one to the other.

I am sure that LK will be able to keep up.  For sure he'll have Petey and Hoagie on his case if he doesn't 

Not too surprised at this post considering your Avatar pic (I swear I used to think it was Kyle Turris) but I don’t have too much issue with your decidedly bullish take on Karlsson.

• Cheers 2

On 8/24/2022 at 4:17 PM, Locke Lamora said:

Not too surprised at this post considering your Avatar pic (I swear I used to think it was Kyle Turris) but I don’t have too much issue with your decidedly bullish take on Karlsson.

I used to think it was Lord Varys from

GOT but that was before he switched his avatar. 

Back on topic. I’m stoked if Karlsson can come in and make it tough for the team to send him down in Abby. Having another Center in the fold will help our bottom 6 tremendously. Giving Dicky some competition on that 3C spot.

I recall there were some on here that thought he wouldn’t sign a contract with us. Those that did can come from off that cliff and enjoy what this kid can do! 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

I recall there were some on here that thought he wouldn’t sign a contract with us. Those that did can come from off that cliff and enjoy what this kid can do! 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO this guy is back in Europe next season.  

Alf is halfway down the Chief, he'll be right there. Should've taken the gondola ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Linus' hockey IQ is very high. The way he reads the play and can anticipate the play with his stick really makes him something special. You can already he already knows where to be to get the puck and to find chances to get offensive looks. Something very underrated that I didn't know about his game was how good he is in protecting the puck along the boards and download.

Just as I thought though, watching at the youngstars tourney, he struggles with the pace of play. His skating needs to improve or he won't survive the speed of the NHL. Some players can be slow and still be successful, but his feet are heavy. Needs to take another few steps in that department. He will find it in the AHL even that the pace of play and sometimes the lack of structure can look like a track meet out there.

• 4 weeks later...