The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The TDL Benning Complaint Thread Department

Warhippy

On 3/5/2019 at 1:41 PM, spur1 said:

I swear I’m going to puke the next time I see or hear someone say to sign EK. He is the last guy we should sign. Yes he is a good player but no longer a great one. He will be way overpaid. He is already too old for this core. 

If we sign him it will be a long term contract that we will curse down the road. 

Overpaid? Maybe.

Too old for this core? Maybe

But to suggest a D-man who is near PPG is "no longer a great one" is absolutely absurd, especially coming from a fan of a team who has never had a D-man even close to the calibre of Erik Karlsson in their entire half-century existence.

4 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Fan (AKA consumer) relations have not been great for Aquilini and co. since the new management took over.

I'd say it's probably a good idea to be a bit more straight-forward and clear with the fans instead of thinking they are dumb enough to believe that things like a quick re-tool are possible.

IMO, as usual, it's largely a noisy minority that 'haven't had great relations'.

Rate's pretty low on my care-o-meter :bored:

37 minutes ago, aGENT said:

IMO, as usual, it's largely a noisy minority that 'haven't had great relations'.

Rate's pretty low on my care-o-meter :bored:

If you think it will be a minority this time next year if things are about the same as they are now, you're in for a rude awakening.

Lava is bubbling beneath the surface right now. It's only going to take a little more turmoil for the eruption to occur and Aquaman's hand will be forced.

Just now, kanucks25 said:

If you think it will be a minority this time next year if things are about the same as they are now, you're in for a rude awakening.

Lava is only bubbling beneath the surface right now. It's only going to take a little more turmoil for the eruption to occur and Aquaman's hand will be forced.

:bored:

20 hours ago, Alflives said:

I agree with you 100%.

to answer your question.  Benning is arrogant.  He believes, as proven by his willingness to trade away picks during a rebuilding phase, that he can out draft the other teams with far fewer picks.  This, IMO, is his tragic flaw, and will ultimately lead to his demise.  

Reading Macbeth, while drinking scotch (Macbeth - scotch:shock:) makes me write like this.  :frantic:

Yup.

Well, it's either arrogance or ignorance. I personally think it's more the latter because Jim does seem like a swell guy from a human level.

24 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Next season:

10th + 11th + 12th + 13th forward

14 million in cap.

17% of the projected 83 million cap.

Almost a 5th of your cap in your bottom 4 forwards.

INB4 cap doesn't matter while we're rebuilding though lol

Yup, we're in pretty tough with our $20'ish mil of cap space.... :bored:

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Completely dodging the point of the post.

But I can't blame you, there simply is no legitimate rebuttal.

Eriksson is easily moveable, team acquiring him only has to pay $3 mil of his salary but gets a $6 mill cap hit so his deal with only 2 years on it is attractive to a team like Ottawa that is 8-10 mill under the cap floor. 

Sutter is possibly moved in the off season or at the deadline next year. 

The salary cap isn't an issue, nor a disaster as you're trying to imply. 

35 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Eriksson is easily moveable, team acquiring him only has to pay $3 mil of his salary but gets a $6 mill cap hit so his deal with only 2 years on it is attractive to a team like Ottawa that is 8-10 mill under the cap floor. 

Sutter is possibly moved in the off season or at the deadline next year. 

The salary cap isn't an issue, nor a disaster as you're trying to imply. 

Sutter wasn't even a part of that calculation, as sad it is to say.

Again, missing the point, though.

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

No, you're missing the point there is NO cap problem and we have moveable assets. 

No @canuck73_3, you’re missing the point.  The sky is freaking falling.  All Dim Jim has to show for the last few years is an expensive fourth line, a Hobey Baker winner, two Calder trophy finalists, a dynamic young defenceman who will step into the nhl out of college and (did I mention) an expensive fourth line (and we have like only 20 million in cap space).

Doom and gloom. Doom and Freaking gloom. 

:bigblush:

17 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Completely dodging the point of the post.

But I can't blame you, there simply is no legitimate rebuttal.

What was the point? Seems like a bunch of banal melodrama about a team with nothing remotely close to cap issues who can easily afford a couple years of a couple 'expensive' bottom 6 support players while their young top 6 and incoming D prospects are on inexpensive ELC and bridge deals.

:bored:

Posts above prove the point.

How far and quickly we've fallen from an educated fan-base, how low expectations have become.

A fan-base as passionate as ours deserves better. Not even a decade removed from a dominant team. Memories fade faster than I thought, I guess.

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Posts above prove the point.

How far and quickly we've fallen from an educated fan-base, how low expectations have become.

A fan-base as passionate as ours deserves better. Not even a decade removed from a dominant team. Memories fade faster than I thought, I guess.

Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them uneducated. We're rebuilding so salary cap takes a secondary role to development. And we're not in cap trouble anyway...

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

Just because people disagree with you doesn't make them uneducated. We're rebuilding so salary cap takes a secondary role to development. And we're not in cap trouble anyway...

Yeah but calling someone uneducated is a great way to dismiss anything they might say.  

34 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

The cap always matters, regardless of where you are in your organizational timeline.

Dollars wasted in one area, both real and cap, can be better used in other areas.

This same type of aloofness with asset management philosophy from the people that are actually in charge has set us back years in our retool rebuild whatever this is

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yup, we're in pretty tough with our $20'ish mil of cap space.... :bored:

You actually have 29 mil for next year, For 14 players. So tell us who and how much the other eight will cost you. Then show us how you will see too it that there is between 8 and 12 mil there for the year that Petey needs to be signed. I think you may also be looking to sign Hughes about the same time. ( if he comes this year)

Just now, kanucks25 said:

The cap always matters, regardless of where you are in your organizational timeline.

Dollars wasted in one area, both real and cap, can be better used in other areas.

This same type of aloofness with asset management philosophy from the people that are actually in charge has set us back years in our retool rebuild whatever this is

:picard: development is the priority and you keep ignoring that LE has a very moveable contract anyway as does Sutter. 

Roussel can play up and down the roster and is a really good pest that can make plays.

Beagle is great on PK, defense and faceoffs. 

Schaller can be traded or sent to Utica replaceable by Gaunce. 

The players tied up are serviceable good players. And again LE can be moved. 

We’re not in as bad shape as you think no matter how much you repeat the same one sided narrow minded rhetoric. 

7 minutes ago, appleboy said:

You actually have 29 mil for next year, For 14 players. So tell us who and how much the other eight will cost you. Then show us how you will see too it that there is between 8 and 12 mil there for the year that Petey needs to be signed. I think you may also be looking to sign Hughes about the same time. ( if he comes this year)

:lol:

Petey (and likely Hughes assuming he plays this year) doesn't need to be signed until 2 years from now FYI.

At which point Spooner, Schaller, Pearson, Sutter, Tanev and Baer are all off the books.

That's how.

Never mind rising cap, Seattle expansion etc, etc.

Seriously, it's not REMOTELY a problem. 

Archived