The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal]Vancouver Canucks-Ottawa Senators (cap dumps galore!)

Still. You're telling me that trading the Canucks 1st pick for a shot at signing Karlsson/Panarin is totally worth it? Or signing a few mid level guys who might fit with the team? There's a couple mid level guys in this proposal that have not fit with the Canucks at all.

I'm going to argue for draft and develop a player rather than trying to build a team through free agency. If the Canucks have the 4th pick and Byram is available to only trade it would be insane. Even at 5-10 there are a lot of exceptional players. Peyton Krebs - work horse, fast, exceptional vision of the ice and has an extremely underrated shot. Mathew Boldy - silky smooth hands, goal-scorer first but his passing ability makes him a dual threat. 

I could go on for a long time about these players - plain and simply the chance at these players should outweigh a contract offer to any player. 

12 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

The Canucks are Rebuilding and need to accumulate as many picks as possible

You don't think OTT is rebuilding? Why on earth would they want our old underperforming guys? Okay, our 1st would be enticing, but...

No way, no how Benning trades the 1st. Not for anybody.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

You don't think OTT is rebuilding? Why on earth would they want our old underperforming guys? Okay, our 1st would be enticing, but...

No way, no how Benning trades the 1st. Not for anybody.

That’s what I was getting at.

1) Sens would get a very high 1st rounder.

2) We would help them be well above the cap floor. 

Given all all the negativity that happened in Ottawa these past few years, they might hve trouble attracting UFA’s even with an overpayment.

That was my line of thought anyways.

13 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

True, but if the Canucks get rid of those “bad contracts” and then go out and sign some good players, then perhaps we can make some noise while Pettersson and Hughes are still on ELC’s.

Again, just being able to get rid of those bad contracts while replacing them with good ones, could be huge in terms of maximizing Pettersson and Hughes while they’re on ELC’s.

With so much cap space, the Canucks would have options.......and still not have to worry about being able to re-up Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, and Markstrom.

1) Go after a big name (Karlsson or Panarin).

2) Bring in 2-3 very good 2nd line / 2nd pairing guys [this would be my preference].

A good GM knows when to admit that he’s made a mistake and cut his losses.   If the Canucks were to make the above trade, they would have a myriad of options in terms of supporting their core.

so you are of a mind

to convert shorter term so so to bad contracts

to longer term higher value contracts to better players

that will not expire

when ep40 and hughes elcs expire

your proposal will  result in having significant contracts on the books

when hughes and ep40 need to be paid

how will that work for deal with ep40 and hughes ?  cuz by all indications so far, they will be damn expensive

and if you think it is smart to spend a 1st round pick

to get rid of the contracts you itemize

and then only sign the new available players to short term contracts

what is the point?

you have wasted the entire value of that 1st round pick

you are simply thinking short term

and have not put pen to paper and figured out where the salary cap will stand 2 summers after this summer

that is the remaining window when the nucks have salary cap flexiibility

We have lots of cap space right now and have plenty in the future so far.

Trading away a major asset like that to make extra space for players who may not want to sign with us seems counterproductive.

We can make much more minor moves if we get close to the cap in a couple years.

I actually think the Eriksson situation is going to get resolved this summer without involving our 1st round pick.  After his bonus is paid, they are probably going to try to force him to move on.  If he gets waived with no one picking him up... he will accept a trade pretty much anywhere vs. Riding the bus.

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:28 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

-Pettersson (1st Line C)

-Horvat (2nd Line C)

-Boeser (1st Line Sniper/winger)

-Hughes (potential all-star defenseman)

-Markstrom (very good goalie).

That’s your main core right there.  Focus on re-upping them to good long term contracts, and surround them with depth.  Personally, I think the Canucks would be better served in targeting that 2nd line/2nd pairing class rather than paying heavy (now or later) for another superstar core piece.

Would you not want to add Dach, Turcotte, Zegras or Cozens to that core?

I understand what you're trying to do and whilst the cap relief would allow us to go after guys like Panarin or Karlsson. But, what if they don't want to come here? I think we have a good cap situation and moving forward I don't see us having any difficulty with the cap or signing our players. Eriksson, Edler, Tanev, and Sutter will all be off the books in 2 years. That's $20 million in cap space. I would also prefer to wait till 2020 and try to sign Taylor Hall or Alex Petreiangelo, maybe even Nugent Hopkins to play RW with Horvat.

Its been a long time since we were in the playoffs and I can see why some may want to go after that heavy hitter free agent to finally get us to the playoffs. Nevertheless, we are rebuilding the right way now and I would like to see this all the way through for at least this year. Next year lets make a splash and go after that elusive big contract elite level talent.

Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Juolevi, Woo, Madden, Demko, Gaudette  Virtanen, Dach/Turcotte, and next years 1st round pick (15-20OA). Once all our guys have 1-2 years under their belt in the NHL, we will be a very good team (speed, size and skill). All players we are hoping will be a part of the next core are projecting well and its only a matter of time before we begin competing for a playoff spot (I predict we make it next year).

??? - Pettersson - Boeser

Dach - Horvat - ???

Madden Gaudette Virtanen

Hughes Woo

Juolevi ???

Demko

Just need a two top 6 wingers (LW, RW)  and top 4 RHD (unless Trymakin returns) and we have enough prospects that we could still fill those positions from within the organization, possibly....

On 4/1/2019 at 11:46 PM, coastal.view said:

you realize of course if the canucks do nothing

those 3 contracts that seem to have you so worried

will simply expire

schaller after next season

sutter the season after that

and loui's . the season after that ..  so in 3 seasons they are all gone just by doing nothing

why ever consider spending a 1st round pick to move those contracts along sooner ??

team will not have any big need to worry much about cap issues

until possibly the year sutter's contract ends, loui's will have 1 year to run, and ep40 and hughes will both need to be signed

loui's contract should be quite moveable for that last 1 year remaining

I know right. Some people are dumb. Ha ha ha. I was think the same. If we can move them one at a time during their respective final years sure. But a 1st so its all done now! Yikes.

Taking advantage of Pettersson and Hughes’ ELC’s

Been a bit too busy these past few days to read the boards (and my threads, but one common thing that is being said, is:

”We don’t have a current cap crunch and so clearing cap space isn’t necessary.”  

While there is a very valid point to that, here is my response:

1) Taking advantage of Pettersson and Hughes’ ELC’s.   Why not rid ourselves of our bad contracts by “biting the bullet” and packaging our 1st, and then using that freed up money to build a good team while Pettersson and Hughes are on ELC’s?......which leads to point number two.

2) IF the Canucks can have some kind of success or show some kind of massive promise while Pettersson and Hughes are on ELC’s, then I think it opens the door to Pettersson and Hughes believing in the system, team, and management.......and ultimately, believing that they could be a part of something special.......which could then lead to both players taking a discount of some kind, in order to build a long term multiple winner.

On 4/1/2019 at 10:49 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

[proposal]Vancouver Canucks-Ottawa Senators (cap dumps galore!)

To Ottawa:

-2019 1st (unless it’s a top 3 pick)

-Eriksson (zero retention)

-Sutter (zero retention)

-Schaller (zero retention)

To Vancouver

- a low cost fringe NHL’er and/or a late round pick

I’m a bit hesitant to post this idea because the criticisms of this idea are obvious: 

1) The Canucks are Rebuilding and need to accumulate as many picks as possible.....especially 1st’s!

2) You’re trading away a 1st (potential core player like Bo, Petey, Brock, and Quinn) and you’re only getting a fringe NHL’er in return?!?.....give your head a shake!!

So yeah.....I’m definitely aware and cognizant of the above.

However - consider the following:

IF the Canucks can clear the near 12 million cap space (Schaller, Sutter, Eriksson) from above, they would be able to.....

1) Easily have enough money to re-up Boeser, Pettersson, Markstrom, and Hughes to long term contracts when the time comes.

2) For July 1st, the Canucks would have MASSIVE options at their disposal.  Want to pay huge for one of Panarin or Karlsson (without having to worry if we’ll have enough future cap space to comfortably re-up Hughes, Boeser, Markstrom, And Pettersson to long term contracts).....this is now an option.   Want to go after 2-3 / MULITPLE “mid level” guys and build a team of depth (Ferland, Connolly, Jordie Benn)..AND still have enough future money to sign our aforementioned core players....comfortably?......this would now be an option.

In a weird sort of way, I think it’s entirely possible that packaging our 2019 1st with 12 million “unwanted” salary could give us a lot of options for both the short term and long term.

My recommended action plan:

1) Trade our 1st along with Schaller, Sutter, and Eriksson.

2) Use that freed up money to bring in some solid 2nd line/2nd pairing depth players.

3) Enough money should be saved to be able to comfortably re-up Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, and Markstrom when the time comes.

(keep in mind that even if we re-sign Edler for two years), him and Tanev would both likely be off the books in about 2 years (giving us an extra 10 million+)

No comment. :picard:

On 4/2/2019 at 1:49 AM, Hindustan Smyl said:

[proposal]Vancouver Canucks-Ottawa Senators (cap dumps galore!)

To Ottawa:

-2019 1st (unless it’s a top 3 pick)

-Eriksson (zero retention)

-Sutter (zero retention)

-Schaller (zero retention)

To Vancouver

- a low cost fringe NHL’er and/or a late round pick

I’m a bit hesitant to post this idea because the criticisms of this idea are obvious: 

1) The Canucks are Rebuilding and need to accumulate as many picks as possible.....especially 1st’s!

2) You’re trading away a 1st (potential core player like Bo, Petey, Brock, and Quinn) and you’re only getting a fringe NHL’er in return?!?.....give your head a shake!!

So yeah.....I’m definitely aware and cognizant of the above.

However - consider the following:

IF the Canucks can clear the near 12 million cap space (Schaller, Sutter, Eriksson) from above, they would be able to.....

1) Easily have enough money to re-up Boeser, Pettersson, Markstrom, and Hughes to long term contracts when the time comes.

2) For July 1st, the Canucks would have MASSIVE options at their disposal.  Want to pay huge for one of Panarin or Karlsson (without having to worry if we’ll have enough future cap space to comfortably re-up Hughes, Boeser, Markstrom, And Pettersson to long term contracts).....this is now an option.   Want to go after 2-3 / MULITPLE “mid level” guys and build a team of depth (Ferland, Connolly, Jordie Benn)..AND still have enough future money to sign our aforementioned core players....comfortably?......this would now be an option.

In a weird sort of way, I think it’s entirely possible that packaging our 2019 1st with 12 million “unwanted” salary could give us a lot of options for both the short term and long term.

My recommended action plan:

1) Trade our 1st along with Schaller, Sutter, and Eriksson.

2) Use that freed up money to bring in some solid 2nd line/2nd pairing depth players.

3) Enough money should be saved to be able to comfortably re-up Boeser, Pettersson, Hughes, and Markstrom when the time comes.

(keep in mind that even if we re-sign Edler for two years), him and Tanev would both likely be off the books in about 2 years (giving us an extra 10 million+)

So we’re trading Sutter, LE Schaller and a first for Karlsson or Panarin?  When you put it that way its a fleecing (by us), and that first would be 10-12 by the looks of it.  

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

So we’re trading Sutter, LE Schaller and a first for Karlsson or Panarin?  When you put it that way its a fleecing (by us), and that first would be 10-12 by the looks of it.  

Pretty much.

IF we were to make that deal with Ottawa, we would be able to comfortably go HARD after one of Panarin or Karlsson AND have enough cap space to comfortably re-up our RFA’s in the future......without having too many cap complications.

Finally.......someone gets where I’m coming from.  

So spare parts and a 1st round Possibly top 10 pick for a fringe NHL'er and cap space. On the hope that throwing crazy money on a FA will convince them to sign. 

This is easily one of the worst proposals i've ever seen. 

1 hour ago, beni said:

So spare parts and a 1st round Possibly top 10 pick for a fringe NHL'er and cap space. On the hope that throwing crazy money on a FA will convince them to sign. 

This is easily one of the worst proposals i've ever seen. 

Fair enough.

Please keep in mind that I likely wouldn’t do this myself, but rather, am exploring options outloud.

Even if the Canucks were unable to land one of Karlsson or Panarin, their huge cap space would still all but guarantee them landing atleast 2 other significant pieces (ie Duchene, Ferland, Dzingel, Myers, Lee, etc.)

The end result?

1) The Canucks would either add another franchise player (Karlsson or Panarin) OR significantly increase their depth with money better well spent (Eriksson, Sutter, and Schaller would be off the books).

2) The Canucks could possibly make some noise while Pettersson and Hughes are on ELC’s.

3) Despite the above signings (or signing), the Canucks would still be able to comfortably re-up Boeser, Pettersson, and Hughes while dealing with minimal or zero cap complications.

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal]Vancouver Canucks-Ottawa Senators (cap dumps galore!)

Archived