The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at St. Louis Blues | Apr. 06, 2019

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I don't like Canadian teams I like specific players regardless of the team...other than Vancouver and my hatred for Toronto.

Kinda like how it would be nice to see the Caps win again so I can watch Ovie party!

Many true fans of the game feel that way. If you dig deeper than the USA vs. Canada equation you will find these teams are businesses with rich owners and minority shareholders who exploit available markets. So your right, it's not a really patriotic expression like the Olympics or other international events. I still find it sad that a Canadian franchise which has never won the cup was hated so much by Canadian hockey fans. And I think it impacted Bettman's approach to officiating the SCF. 

If/when Vancouver's out, the team I get behind tends to change every year according to players.  I don't have a loyalty to any other team and it's just mostly a matter of me cheering for the team(s) I hate the least.

This year I'm still totally undecided.  Probably the Caps (love Ovi) or the Penguins.

3 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

If/when Vancouver's out, the team I get behind tends to change every year according to players.  I don't have a loyalty to any other team and it's just mostly a matter of me cheering for the team(s) I hate the least.

This year I'm still totally undecided.  Probably the Caps (love Ovi) or the Penguins.

I'm pulling for Tampa Bay. Because Stamkos said no to Toronto. And now can rub it into the media's faces. Besides it's still the majority of work by Yzerman. And I want to see him get credit for building that franchise back up. 

4 minutes ago, NHTyrany said:

Many true fans of the game feel that way. If you dig deeper than the USA vs. Canada equation you will find these teams are businesses with rich owners and minority shareholders who exploit available markets. So your right, it's not a really patriotic expression like the Olympics or other international events. I still find it sad that a Canadian franchise which has never won the cup was hated so much by Canadian hockey fans. And I think it impacted Bettman's approach to officiating the SCF. 

I mean I know this won't go over well here but that Canucks team had so many hated individuals outside of the Vancouver market. I think that influenced the result and led to your conclusion.

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I'm pulling for Tampa Bay. Because Stamkos said no to Toronto. And now can rub it into the media's faces. Besides it's still the majority of work by Yzerman. And I want to see him get credit for building that franchise back up. 

Ha, almost said TB...they're in there too.  In the "can get behind/don't hate" them.

4 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I mean I know this won't go over well here but that Canucks team had so many hated individuals outside of the Vancouver market. I think that influenced the result and led to your conclusion.

So many?  

And most teams do. I can rattle off a list of non Canuck "hated" players pretty easily.  Go:  Marchand, Getzlaff, Wilson, Tkachuk, Phaneuf, Lucic, Kadri...

17 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

I don't buy into the Candian team bs. I hate so many of them other than the Jets.

Agreed. I always cheer against Toronto, even the sports I don't care about (all of them but hockey). Yes, I will be cheering for Boston to beat the Leafs. And I will never cheer for either of the Alberta teams. The bile spewed towards the Canucks from 2011 by Alberta still bothers me. I do like Montreal and Ottawa and am sort of ok with the Jets.

So many?  

And most teams do. I can rattle off a list of non Canuck "hated" players pretty easily.  Go:  Marchand, Getzlaff, Wilson, Tkachuk, Phaneuf, Lucic, Kadri...

So many.... more than normal. I don't want to pick a fight nor do we have to agree with other people but that's their line of thinking.

1 minute ago, Chris12345 said:

So many.... more than normal. I don't want to pick a fight nor done have to agree with other people but that's their line of thinking.

Well I'm wondering if you could list them?   Not "fighting"...just discussion.

1 hour ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Yeah, that’s the whole point. Saying that us and the flames are doing something special picking that high for so many years isn’t impressive at all. You better be good picking an average of 5th overall for that many years. 

That’s the whole reason the NHL has these rules in place. Last place team having the best odds at first is an attempt to keep parity in the league. And if they felt in anyway that picking 5th instead of 1st would derail this parity, they wouldn’t have introduced the draft lottery and just keep it as last place gets number 1 one hundred percent, even with the disadvantage of teams purposely tanking. That negative wouldn’t outweigh the fact that the whole point is to achieve parity. They obviously feel 4th or 5th is high enough for a last place team to turn things around or the gms and nhl board wouldn’t have approved the lottery system. In that sense, we are both nothing special. We better be good picking that high for that many years.

In fact, I think we are both clearly behind where we should be picking that high that often. In the flames case, they might exit first round if they don’t believe in Rittich or Smith more than the other.

In our case,  I felt we should have made the playoffs last year and we might have if we gambled on some of the picks we pissed away and drafted better than a JV and a Juolevi. 

My point is, I wouldn’t put the flames on any sort of pedestal. They should be where they are and probably even much better considering where they finished for so many years.

Ok lets start by saying that Tank nation has been complaining about not getting top 3 picks, and when I say you can manage without top 3 picks, its wrong and you only need top 10 picks? Which is it...? So many years? We've been picking in the top 10 4 years out of 5. This year will likely be the 5th time in 6 years. How many years did people expect us to be picking high in before we had a competitive team again?

Should have made the play offs last year, and could have had we not pissed away so many picks??? How the hell does anyone know, how our 2nd round, 3rd rd and 4th rd picks would have turned out? Nobody know... Thing is the management believed this was the better way to do things. We will know for sure in 4-5 years time. 

Somebody has to draft first and somebody has to draft 31st. I don't disagree that the poor teams gets to draft first to get parity and have a competitive league (actually quite unfair as you are being special treatment for being useless and often not willing to spend to the cap, but that's another issue).

What I'm saying is you don't have to pick top 3 to get a team. All the teams that has tanked and eventually became champions, were all floating around in the bottom part for large period of their existance... As a fan, and very likely as a player as well its better to try to compete and hone your skills, than to be forced into tanking, but the management can ( selling off players, sitting players etc etc)

By the way, who is putting Lames on a pedestal?

I hate Flames, but what does please me, is to see a team, any team doing well without purposely tanking. 

I consider tanking cheating, just like selling air to less fortunate people will be considered disgusting by some, but genius by others... To hear the press applaud TO for tanking on purpose makes me sick... And I enjoy immensely every time Oilers fall flat on their face again and again and again. 

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Well I'm wondering if you could list them?   Not "fighting"...just discussion.

Yep....again I am in NO way supporting this.

Kesler

Burrows

Laffy

Torres

and....believe it or not ( probably more jealous and "non Canadian" for the first 2) to some extent 

Daniel

Henrick

Bieksa

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Ok lets start by saying that Tank nation has been complaining about not getting top 3 picks, and when I say you can manage without top 3 picks, its wrong and you only need top 10 picks? Which is it...? So many years? We've been picking in the top 10 4 years out of 5. This year will likely be the 5th time in 6 years. How many years did people expect us to be picking high in before we had a competitive team again?

Should have made the play offs last year, and could have had we not pissed away so many picks??? How the hell does anyone know, how our 2nd round, 3rd rd and 4th rd picks would have turned out? Nobody know... Thing is the management believed this was the better way to do things. We will know for sure in 4-5 years time. 

Somebody has to draft first and somebody has to draft 31st. I don't disagree that the poor teams gets to draft first to get parity and have a competitive league (actually quite unfair as you are being special treatment for being useless and often not willing to spend to the cap, but that's another issue).

What I'm saying is you don't have to pick top 3 to get a team. All the teams that has tanked and eventually became champions, were all floating around in the bottom part for large period of their existance... As a fan, and very likely as a player as well its better to try to compete and hone your skills, that to be forced into tanking but the management ( selling off players, sitting players etc etc)

By the way, who is putting Lames on a pedestal?

I hate Flames, but what does please me, is to see a team, any team doing well without purposely tanking. 

I consider tanking cheating, just like selling air to less fortunate people will be considered disgusting by some, but genius by others... To hear the press applaud TO for tanking on purpose makes me sick... And I enjoy immensely every time Oilers fall flat on their face again and again and again. 

You're on a tear, Spook; keep on keepin' on.

Next game:  Tuesday April 9th Draft Lottery.

GCG!

8 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Yep....again I am in NO way supporting this.

Kesler

Burrows

Laffy

Torres

and....believe it or not ( probably more jealous and "non Canadian" for the first 2) to some extent 

Daniel

Henrick

Bieksa

Most I know actually respect Daniel and HenriK.

Kes, Burr, Lappy and Torres...yes.  But remember, two of those players were just passing through and can't really be assigned as solely Canucks.   They were hated before and after they were here and to tie them in to this organization speaks more to someone just "hating on" the Canucks than having legit reasons to. 

Raffi played one season here (I think?).  So yeah....not sure how that sticks here.

I ain't buying it.  People who hate the Canucks are generally lost souls who don't know what they want out of life.  They move here, but are confused and need to fix their GPS systems so they can find their way back out.

The league is responsible for some of this too.  Creating monsters out of molehills.

I'd say more people hate Toronto than the Canucks.  But I don't even really care to be truthful.  Hate away...we aren't missing out on anything.

Most I know actually respect Daniel and HenriK.

Kes, Burr, Lappy and Torres...yes.  But remember, two of those players were just passing through and can't really be assigned as solely Canucks.   They were hated before and after they were here and to tie them in to this organization speaks more to someone just "hating on" the Canucks than having legit reasons to. 

Raffi played one season here (I think?).  So yeah....not sure how that sticks here.

I ain't buying it.  People who hate the Canucks are generally lost souls who don't know what they want out of life.  They move here, but are confused and need to fix their GPS systems so they can find their way back out.

The league is responsible for some of this too.  Creating monsters out of moehills.

I always loved Torres Haha. Even on Edmonton.

I always HATED Matt Cooke so I wasn't thrilled when Pitt won.

Not saying it makes sense.

3 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

No good point. That would never happen in Calgary.

I don't think players ever tank though.

Agree amigo... If anything it'll be the management (owners).

Any player tanking on purpose should have his head examined, as it his own job his giving to someone else. And on his job application it'll probably say good at hockey, but no heart... hardly a ringing endorsement... 

No you are right Chris... I don't believe players tanks on purpose.

13 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

No good point. That would never happen in Calgary.

I don't think players ever tank though.

I don't either (re players)....it's not in their nature.  Unless they're just in it for the $$ and most follow a path in life that doesn't really support that.  Play hockey their entire lives because they love it and aspire to be great at it. 

It's not like they can switch it on/off...it's embedded in them that, once they hit the ice, it's "ON". 

Any player who could tank was likely not going to be much of anything anyhow.  With that mindset.  "Floater/pylon" territory...not "competitor".

Archived