The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US is paying for Taliban leaders' travel expenses for 'peace talks'

sam13371337

35 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Almost as bad as the elected criminals in this country giving verfiable jihadists tax payer dollars for 'pain and suffering.' 

That's just weird.  I'm surprised Canadians aren't in more of an uproar about it.

At least the US is trying to bribe the bad guys so it can get it's mitts on over a Trillion dollars in recently discovered resources...

24 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

Its not like a former unnamed president personally handing them over $200 trillion in unmarked $100s straight from US tax payers like with Iran... Wouldnt worry too much about this. 

Huh?  There's never been that much money globally in the history of mankind let alone just in the US...

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/how-much-money-is-there-in-the-world.html

45 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

That's just weird.  I'm surprised Canadians aren't in more of an uproar about it.

There remain a surprisingly large minority of Canadians and the vast bulk of the media in their country that refuse to acknowledge their PM with the nice hair and the inventor of such great PC terms like "peoplekind" is as corrupt and morally bankrupt as he actually is.    

1 hour ago, SabreFan1 said:

Huh?  There's never been that much money globally in the history of mankind let alone just in the US...

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/how-much-money-is-there-in-the-world.html

Also the fact that it was Iran's money, not US taxpayer money.

I think that this was a tongue in cheek "joke" of typical right-wing responses involving the Iran deal.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 5/19/2019 at 9:59 PM, SabreFan1 said:

It began when I was in kindergarten and ended when I was a sophomore in high school.  I just double checked the numbers and the Mujahideen had 57,000 killed and 37,000 injured with not much heavy equipment loss since all they mostly had was small and medium arms.  The Soviets had over 14,000 killed and 54,000 injured with very heavy equipment losses.

Unless you're talking about wholesale slaughter of non-combatant civilian Afghanis, I don't know where you got 2,000,000 dead but the Soviets were semi-beaten by a lesser armed guerilla force with the home advantage.  Fewer Soviets than Afghanis died but so many Soviet soldiers came home injured and so much equipment was lost that it became an unpopular war in Russia and after the US under Ronald Reagan leveled heavy economic sanctions against the USSR it was the beginning of the end for the Soviet Union.  Gorbachev then decided the war was no longer tenable and decided to pull his troops out and the USSR then the entire country fell apart a couple years later.

Um, the soviets had to face stinger missiles supplied by the US, which in the 80s was cutting edge technology. US didn't have to overcome tech supplied by the enemies to take out the US achilles heel.

But regardless, the jig is up with the US. The world now knows how to beat the US. The Vietnamese opened up to the concept and the Taliban made us realize it:  make the Americans bleed and they will tuck tail and run away. For they are the only superpower in the history of the world who want to win a war but wont pay the blood price for winning one. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

Um, the soviets had to face stinger missiles supplied by the US, which in the 80s was cutting edge technology. US didn't have to overcome tech supplied by the enemies to take out the US achilles heel.

But regardless, the jig is up with the US. The world now knows how to beat the US. The Vietnamese opened up to the concept and the Taliban made us realize it:  make the Americans bleed and they will tuck tail and run away. For they are the only superpower in the history of the world who want to win a war but wont pay the blood price for winning one. 

I wonder how many young people (of fighting age - 18 to 25) in the US believe in an after life?  

18 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder how many young people (of fighting age - 18 to 25) in the US believe in an after life?  

Probably the same amount that think they're fighting a war backed by the support of their god.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Probably the same amount that think they're fighting a war backed by the support of their god.

My point being that life in the US and most of us in the western world is way too good to risk it fighting over seas.  The days of people believing death is rewarded by an eternity in God's hands are long gonzo.    I wonder how many young people of fighting age, who come from wealthy families sign up?  Likely it's very few.  

On 5/18/2019 at 3:52 PM, naslund.is.king said:

US is paying for Taliban leaders' travel expenses for 'peace talks'

Meanwhile in Canada:

Omar Khadr recieves 10 million after killing an American troop

/

after killing a soldier of an invading army, then being imprisoned without due process, tortured, abandoned by Canada and left to rot.

3 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

There remain a surprisingly large minority of Canadians and the vast bulk of the media in their country that refuse to acknowledge their PM with the nice hair and the inventor of such great PC terms like "peoplekind" is as corrupt and morally bankrupt as he actually is.    

I didn't vote for him, but he's still miles better than anything the Cons can offer up.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stawns said:

after killing a soldier of an invading army, then being imprisoned without due process, tortured, abandoned by Canada and left to rot.

Shooting the soldiers of the nation you are citizen of, mandated by a democratic government, during war, should be a capital punishment. Should've been lined up in front of the firing squad, no questions asked. 

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

My point being that life in the US and most of us in the western world is way too good to risk it fighting over seas. 

Yet still it happens. And good is a very subjective term.

The days of people believing death is rewarded by an eternity in God's hands are long gonzo. 

Really? I wouldn't be so sure about that based on who you talk to.

I wonder how many young people of fighting age, who come from wealthy families sign up?  Likely it's very few.  

Wealthy families don't let their kids sign up for active duty.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Yet still it happens. And good is a very subjective term.

Really? I wouldn't be so sure about that based on who you talk to.

Wealthy families don't let their kids sign up for active duty.

That's my point Phil.  The western societies of today will have a lot of difficulty raising an active fighting force, even if they show enemies killing babies.  Most young people value their lives more than their government's propaganda.  The days of volunteer armies are gone.  

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's my point Phil.  The western societies of today will have a lot of difficulty raising an active fighting force, even if they show enemies killing babies.  Most young people value their lives more than their government's propaganda.  The days of volunteer armies are gone.  

In the US, a lot of the recruitment happens in malls. The military also is a very enticing option for poorer people to gain a foothold in society with all the benefits and possibilities of schooling that military service brings.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

At least the US is trying to bribe the bad guys so it can get it's mitts on over a Trillion dollars in recently discovered resources...

Bad guys? News flash the majority of the World sees the US as the bad guys. This is about the 4th post of yours that I've seen where you're openly suggesting the US takes another countries resources. I'm sorry but it's that attitude why most of the world hates you guys and it's that attitude why the US foreign policy will never change. You are so obsessed with greed you don't care how many people die as long as you get what you want.

I like you sabre but talking about taking Afghanistan's resources just shows how American you really are and it's sad because I actually didn't think you were in that group.

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

In the US, a lot of the recruitment happens in malls. The military also is a very enticing option for poorer people to gain a foothold in society with all the benefits and possibilities of schooling that military service brings.

Uhh wut?

Joining the us forces... Iran, Syria, Afghanistan or Iraq, you pick young fellow... Where would you like to die, sorry I mean where would you like to go?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, canuckistani said:

The Stingers didn't come until 1986 which was towards the end of the war with the Soviets.  They were responsible for only about half of the losses of Soviet aircraft.

Your second paragraph is incredibly ignorant of the US as a whole.  I'll be frank, as much as people like to hero worship the military, people stopped caring years ago about the casualties.  That's why it's rarely in the news any longer.  Even now, I'd personally have to look up the casualty numbers in the previous year or two and I'm a news junky.

The long and the short of the entire thing is that nobody in the United States cares any longer about Afghanistan or even Iraq for that matter, but people are getting tired of pumping money into that country.  Trump even campaigned on pulling troops out of Afghanistan.  All he ended up needing was the carrot and that came in the form of resources and the only post-US organization capable of governing that region and granting access to those resources is the Taliban.

Edited by SabreFan1
  • Upvote 1