The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Eriksson “NOT” likely to be moved on

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

People here would have just as much hate as they do now.

They equate his worth compared to the 6 million dollars per year he earns.  If he skated around fast working hard and still did nothing offensively people would hate on him just as hard. Don't kid yourself. This fanbase, like most passionate NHL fan bases (mostly Canadian with some US teams in there), is hard on players on every team.

I'm not saying he would escape criticism, because irrespective of effort he is also paid to produce points, so its a fair shot at him. The point is, if he was being a leader, skating hard 200 ft every night, forechecking, playing like a dog on a bone (aka reinventing himself), people would say, well at least the effort and desire to compete is still there. The fact he looks like he could care less if he wins a puck battle for worry of breaking a nail, I believe pisses fans off even more. As Noodles said in that video, some nights it looks like he has his suit on under his gear. For an ex player to say that, it says everything

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Cheers 3

Just now, smokes said:

Dude have you read that players in the NBA or the NFL say to the media?

Do you want that kind of garbage to be acceptable in this franchise?  I sure don't.  And most of the guys doing the beaking off are at least good enough to play in the NBA/NFL.  Useless floaters need to keep their mouths shut.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Read the quote.  Still unacceptable from a guy that, by your own admission, refuses to put in enough effort on a nightly basis.  And I guarantee management cares about this worthless crybaby complaining about the coach.  Having the fans yelling at him to get out of town might be what's needed to help Aquilini agree to put Loser Eriksson in a more appropriate league for his effort level, the AHL.

The Canucks management has access to a lot more information than fans do. They don't usually take the emotional road in evaluating players like fans do. They also have to deal with the reality of his contract situation. And trust me, fans yelling will have no impact on the decision. 

If Benning agreed with the limited view of you guys, Eriksson would already be gone and Benning would have just added a significant asset to get it done. 

Eriksson could use a fresh start away ftom Maple Leaf like fans here who blame one player for all the teams ills. Realistically, Eriksson is not nearly as bad as the hyperbole you guys spout.

6 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

What did he say that was as bad asyou guys suggest? Nothing.

You have no idea what Eriksson is like in the room.

People are taking their hate for a player and attempting to add "evidence" that supports that hate.

I am not even a fan of Eriksson. I want him traded asmuch as the next guy. The difference is I can be objective and not try to exaggerate all these other things to justify my opinion.

I guarantee Travis Green does not see Eriksson or his comments the way some fans do. Because his job is to realistically evaluate the players he is given. That means seeing all strengths and weaknesses of that player to try to put them in the spot where they feel they fit. 

You said it..   Utica.           Just seems to me that Eriksson felt entitled to retire when the Sedins did.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

You said it..   Utica.           Just seems to me that Eriksson felt entitled to retire when the Sedins did.

Maybe thats where he ends up, who knows? That would be due to a combination of factors though, not a statement that he is useless etc. He is still an NHL quality player. But his contract limits the options for the Canucks.

Edited by Silver Ghost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Silver Ghost said:

The Canucks management has access to a lot more information than fans do. They don't usually take the emotional road in evaluating players like fans do. They also have to deal with the reality of his contract situation. And trust me, fans yelling will have no impact on the decision. 

If Benning agreed with the limited view of you guys, Eriksson would already be gone and Benning would have just added a significant asset to get it done. 

Eriksson could use a fresh start away ftom Maple Leaf like fans here who blame one player for all the teams ills. Realistically, Eriksson is not nearly as bad as the hyperbole you guys spout.

Erickson has negative value to the canucks, most are not saying he's washed up, as he can still help a team. The issue is, if you're not competing, what are you adding? So the question for any other team is, do I want to take a risk on a guy who looks disinterested?

It's not just fans, when three ex NHL players (ONeill, Ferraro, Noodles) are all saying the guy wouldn't be in the NHL if it wasn't for his contract, it saying everything, its not just 'rabid vancouver fans', who yes, can be overbearing.

He's not scoring

He doesn't hit

He's pretty good on the PK

He's sour at the coach, and would be seen as a cancer now in the room

He's not intense, and seems to not bring it every night

If you're suggesting a team is happy to pay a guy $3 mil now (with a 6 mil cap hit, when no one is worried about hitting the cap floor), vs say a young prospect taking that 3rd/4th line ice time or a journeyman being paid $750k you're fooling yourself. He's cost himself likely a chance at ever playing in the NHL again by complaining when he's shown nothing over three years here, despite getting alot of time with twins and Petey.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Benning has replaced Eriksson already..  he had to pull that trigger while there was some to get.. any outstanding hole will be r3placed by a prospect.  There is no room for Eriksson,  let’s not make up “make work projects” for him.

He will go to Utica and retire,. Go to Utica and claim an LTI, Or not go and Void his Contract, or someone will take him for nothing but the Cap Space.. ALL very happy endings.

Edited by SilentSam
Benning
  • Upvote 4

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Do you want that kind of garbage to be acceptable in this franchise?  I sure don't.  And most of the guys doing the beaking off are at least good enough to play in the NBA/NFL.  Useless floaters need to keep their mouths shut.

Eriksson is an NHL player and to be honest, his comments are not completely wrong. As a fan who often watches the game, there are often times where me and my friends question the coaching decisions and why certain players are not on the ice. Why is it that this must be Eriksson's fault? Maybe Travis Green does need to take some blame. He is a first year coach after all. We don't know what happens in the locker room and Green, but what we do know is that Eriksson has played many years in the NHL, he has been bounced around the line up as a Canuck since he got here, been through the losing seasons with the Canucks and never complained. It must have taken a lot of frustration for him to say something.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Benning has replaced Eriksson already..  he had to pull that trigger while there was some to get.. any outstanding hole will be r3placed by a prospect.  There is no room for Eriksson,  let’s not make up “make work projects” for him.

He will go to Utica and retire,. Go to Utica and claim an LTI, Or not go and Void his Contract, or someone will take him for nothing but the Cap Space.. ALL very happy endings.

Loui has to outplay Pearson and Ferland for the top 6, good luck. He then has to outplay Baer and Jake for the 3rd line if its going to be more of a scoring vs checking. Also, good luck. His spot is going to be with Beagle, but he has to outplay Leivo for that. 

I just don't see losing an asset like Leivo on waivers unless Loui comes in and has a spectacular training camp, particularly since Murph reported Loui not agreeing to Edmonton - I believe Murph on that, I don't think he'd blow his local reputation on a guess. 

I still think we're looking at Loui in Utica barring some unforeseen deal with Ottawa, but i don't really see why Ottawa goes for him tbh. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Benning has improved the options for Green. I doubt he specifically sees anyone as a replacement for Eriksson or anyone else. He simply wanted to add a couple of top 6 wingers and create competition for spots in the lineup, which is what you want a GM to do. If that makes life hard on Eriksson to earn a spot, so be it. If Eriksson is still with the Canucks at camp though, he will be given an opportunity like anyone else to compete for a roster spot. Its on him to sieze that opportunity and if he doesn't, then whatever the result is will be acceptable.

Edited by Silver Ghost

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Because Eriksson has done NOTHING to earn a job in the top six.  Green has bent over backwards trying to accommodate his floating.  If anything Green should have scratched him more.

Green has bent over backwards keeping Eriksson on the third or forth line most nights because he likes a good defensive line which Eriksson has been typecast as a good defensive player. How much offense can you generate when 62 percent of your shifts start from the defensive zone?

Edited by smokes
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

Erickson has negative value to the canucks, most are not saying he's washed up, as he can still help a team. The issue is, if you're not competing, what are you adding? So the question for any other team is, do I want to take a risk on a guy who looks disinterested?

It's not just fans, when three ex NHL players (ONeill, Ferraro, Noodles) are all saying the guy wouldn't be in the NHL if it wasn't for his contract, it saying everything, its not just 'rabid vancouver fans', who yes, can be overbearing.

He's not scoring

He doesn't hit

He's pretty good on the PK

He's sour at the coach, and would be seen as a cancer now in the room

He's not intense, and seems to not bring it every night

If you're suggesting a team is happy to pay a guy $3 mil now (with a 6 mil cap hit, when no one is worried about hitting the cap floor), vs say a young prospect taking that 3rd/4th line ice time or a journeyman being paid $750k you're fooling yourself. He's cost himself likely a chance at ever playing in the NHL again by complaining when he's shown nothing over three years here, despite getting alot of time with twins and Petey.

Lets be truly real though.

O'Neill has always had an anti Canuck bend to his analysis. And Ferraro, despite being from BC, regularly shows that he talks through his ass when it comes to the Canucks. I am often left feeling that he doesnt actually watch Canucks games at all.

I dont think he hasbeen given a lot of time with either the twins or Petterssen. He needed to show more when he did but its revionist history to pretend he has been given tons of top 6 opportunity in van. And when he was,the coaches really did not try to take advantage of what made him effective in Boston. 

Most falls on Eriksson, but some falls on the coaches and Benning too.

31 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Loui has to outplay Pearson and Ferland for the top 6, good luck. He then has to outplay Baer and Jake for the 3rd line if its going to be more of a scoring vs checking. Also, good luck. His spot is going to be with Beagle, but he has to outplay Leivo for that. 

I just don't see losing an asset like Leivo on waivers unless Loui comes in and has a spectacular training camp, particularly since Murph reported Loui not agreeing to Edmonton - I believe Murph on that, I don't think he'd blow his local reputation on a guess. 

I still think we're looking at Loui in Utica barring some unforeseen deal with Ottawa, but i don't really see why Ottawa goes for him tbh. 

Fully agree.

We will be lucky if anyone gives us any kind of asset for him to be taken to cover their Cap issues.. but even a 7th rounder in 24-2025 is fine.

Loui not agreeing to Edmonton is just a total fall from grace,.  It’s not a question IF Lucic was coming in return or not.. it was the move that this management wanted to make. . and I support that.

Lets be real folks, Marleau is what we could hope Eriksson to have been..  but his distracting words accompanied by less than mediocre play for 3 of 6 seasons with us so far,  has him playing hockey or not, far away from the tenacity and bonding I see the Canucks going over the boards this Season.

1 minute ago, SilentSam said:

Fully agree.

We will be lucky if anyone gives us any kind of asset for him to be taken to cover their Cap issues.. but even a 7th rounder in 24-2025 is fine.

Loui not agreeing to Edmonton is just a total fall from grace,.  It’s not a question IF Lucic was coming in return or not.. it was the move that this management wanted to make. . and I support that.

Lets be real folks, Marleau is what we could hope Eriksson to have been..  but his distracting words accompanied by less than mediocre play for 3 of 6 seasons with us so far,  has him playing hockey or not, far away from the tenacity and bonding I see the Canucks going over the boards this Season.

I dont see any fit where a team gives an asset for his full cap hit. Benning will have to take a bad contract back or add a significant sweetener to move it.

I am personally hoping Benning just adds a good prospect and moves him without taking significant garbage contracts back. Thats just the cost of doing business with a bad contract.

Eriksson did the Canucks a favor saying no to a Lucic deal imo. Same headache coming back.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Benning has improved the options for Green. I doubt he specifically sees anyone as a replacement for Eriksson or anyone else. He simply wanted to add a couple of top 6 wingers and create competition for spots in the lineup, which is what you want a GM to do. If that makes life hard on Eriksson to earn a spot, so be it. If Eriksson is still with the Canucks at camp though, he will be given an opportunity like anyone else to compete for a roster spot. Its on him to sieze that opportunity and if he doesn't, then whatever the result is will be acceptable.

Then Eriksson is competing against Ferland,Miller, Leivo or anyone else who can take that side.. Eriksson IS redundant on the 4th line as it is a better situation on this team in the moment to have a prospect up on the team.

The opportunity Eriksson should have seized was the one putting him on another NHL club by way of waiving his clauses to get there,

..because there is NO room for him here.  He had his last chance, 3 years of being coddled to no productional value,. Press box for a game should have been his wake up call.  Instead he created a distraction with his comments about his Coach.

Loui created this mess.   

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

I dont see any fit where a team gives an asset for his full cap hit. Benning will have to take a bad contract back or add a significant sweetener to move it.

I am personally hoping Benning just adds a good prospect and moves him without taking significant garbage contracts back. Thats just the cost of doing business with a bad contract.

Eriksson did the Canucks a favor saying no to a Lucic deal imo. Same headache coming back.

A headache for you, but obviously if the reports are correct,. For Management, one that could offer a potentially better outcome.

Even if Lucic has digressed to a Ryan Reaves Level,.  That is far better to have than the scarecrow of a man we have in Loui

13 minutes ago, Silver Ghost said:

Lucic gives a sh*t on the ice.  His scoring dropped off but he’s still leading the league in hits and making sure no one takes liberties with his teammates. 

Not the same headache 

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

A headache for you, but obviously if the reports are correct,. For Management, one that could offer a potentially better outcome.

Even if Lucic has digressed to a Ryan Reaves Level,.  That is far better to have than the scarecrow of a man we have in Loui

Pretty sure the Lucic rumored deal was at the deadline. Once he acquired Miller and Ferland, it seems Lucic was not even a consideration for Benning any longer. According to Lucic, he was not aware of any potential deal to Van anyway. 

Puljujarvi is an even bigger media whiner abd primadonna than you guys suggest Erikssons comments make him, yet many were happy to accept him as a sweetener to take on lucic and his nmc. Thats why blind player hatred should never be any kind of factor in making a trade.

• Cheers 1