The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Federal Government Approves TMX Pipeline Again - Update: Supreme Court Dismisses Appeal

DonLever

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

As far as the hereditary chiefs go, I'm not a big fan of putting their wants over those of elected band members. If I have to pick one, i'm going with elected members. 

Thats the thing. You dont have a say or get a pick.....

Why a UN declaration on Indigenous rights has struggled to become Canadian law

https://globalnews.ca/news/6101723/undrip-indigenous-relations-canada/

For nearly a decade, Canada refused to endorse the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP). The country, under former prime minister Stephen Harper, was one of four in the world to hold back — 144 other nations accepted it.

The UN declaration, which was eventually adopted by the Trudeau government in 2016, is still considered controversial in Canada. The main point of concern is a clause that calls for “free, prior and informed consent” of Indigenous communities in matters that impact them — pipeline projects, for example.

During the recent federal election campaign, the Liberals, Greens and NDP promised to enshrine UNDRIP into Canadian law, a move that would demand greater accountability from the country.

While the debate carries on federally, British Columbia is set to become the first province to make it law. The legislation sets a framework to align provincial laws with the standards of the UN declaration.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Thats the thing. You dont have a say or get a pick.....

Why a UN declaration on Indigenous rights has struggled to become Canadian law

https://globalnews.ca/news/6101723/undrip-indigenous-relations-canada/

For nearly a decade, Canada refused to endorse the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (UNDRIP). The country, under former prime minister Stephen Harper, was one of four in the world to hold back — 144 other nations accepted it.

The UN declaration, which was eventually adopted by the Trudeau government in 2016, is still considered controversial in Canada. The main point of concern is a clause that calls for “free, prior and informed consent” of Indigenous communities in matters that impact them — pipeline projects, for example.

During the recent federal election campaign, the Liberals, Greens and NDP promised to enshrine UNDRIP into Canadian law, a move that would demand greater accountability from the country.

While the debate carries on federally, British Columbia is set to become the first province to make it law. The legislation sets a framework to align provincial laws with the standards of the UN declaration.

thats the redundant piece. The SCoC has already stated that needs to happen. What the UN wants is for that to be a final say, whereas Canadian law only requires it to be part of the process.

What you're asking for is a system where a single hereditary chief could block billions in development that multiple elected band members want. Thats absurd, and won't help anyone. 

3 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

AD171B07-2B55-4613-A580-2E90AC727847.png

Actully don't have to turn your furnace off.... just turn it down a few degrees... install an electronic programable thermostat.... program it turn turn your heat way down... when you are at work or sleeping...  We all can do many things to reduce our carbon footprint...

BTW - the photo you posted is disburbing with all the air pollution displayed in it.  

I am very much looking forward to the day the tar sands projects are shut down.....

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats the redundant piece. The SCoC has already stated that needs to happen. What the UN wants is for that to be a final say, whereas Canadian law only requires it to be part of the process.

What you're asking for is a system where a single hereditary chief could block billions in development that multiple elected band members want. Thats absurd, and won't help anyone. 

You need to read up.... but i guess you too are a product of the CDN legal system......

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-a-contested-pipeline-tests-the-landscape-of-indigenous-law-who/

Val Napoleon, an influential Indigenous scholar who holds the Law Foundation research chair at the University of Victoria’s aboriginal justice and governance program, said the Premier has it all backward: Elected band councils are, in the time of the Wet’suwet’en, a new invention. The community has been governed under the hereditary model, she said, “since the land was forming,” with a complete set of laws that is up to the task of resolving internal disputes and providing binding decisions.

5 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Actully don't have to turn your furnace off.... just turn it down a few degrees... install an electronic programable thermostat.... program it turn turn your heat way down... when you are at work or sleeping...  We all can do many things to reduce our carbon footprint...

BTW - the photo you posted is disburbing with all the air pollution displayed in it.  

I am very much looking forward to the day the tar sands projects are shut down.....

Shouldn’t use any oil and gas though. Hypocritical to drive, use it for heat or use a phone or shoes or any by product of the O&G refining process.  You should just turn your gasoline off today and dress warmer. :) 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Shouldn’t use any oil and gas though. Hypocritical to drive, use it for heat or use a phone or shoes or any by product of the O&G refining process.  You should just turn your gasoline off today and dress warmer. :) 

Why all or nothing?

Are there no varying degrees of hypocrisy?

My suggestion is don't breed. That'll reduce your carbon footprint and help the planet. 

4 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm not sure your user name checks out.

Didn't mean to get you all triggered. Stand a bit taller, thin skin. 

Name calling? Seems you’re the one triggered :lol: I didn’t even mention things that Bishops are known for doing to children :lol: 

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Why all or nothing?

Are there no varying degrees of hypocrisy?

My suggestion is don't breed. That'll reduce your carbon footprint and help the planet. 

Yes i think you are on the right track....

January 11, 2020

Free prescription contraception is a no-brainer, according to groups advocating its inclusion in February’s provincial budget.

A cost-benefit analysis conducted by Options for Sexual Health in 2010 estimates the B.C. government could save $95 million a year if it paid for universal access to prescription contraception

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/campaign-for-free-prescription-contraception-ramps-up-ahead-of-b-c-budget

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Name calling? Seems you’re the one triggered :lol: I didn’t even mention things that Bishops are known for doing to children :lol: 

Easy there boomer, try not to be a hypocrite...here, I'll give you a laughing face emoto too :lol:

I agree with you regarding bishops in general. I'm not a fan of organised religions. That part of my username is a tribute to my last dog of that name. 

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

You need to read up.... but i guess you too are a product of the CDN legal system......

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/british-columbia/article-a-contested-pipeline-tests-the-landscape-of-indigenous-law-who/

Val Napoleon, an influential Indigenous scholar who holds the Law Foundation research chair at the University of Victoria’s aboriginal justice and governance program, said the Premier has it all backward: Elected band councils are, in the time of the Wet’suwet’en, a new invention. The community has been governed under the hereditary model, she said, “since the land was forming,” with a complete set of laws that is up to the task of resolving internal disputes and providing binding decisions.

If you want to support systems where only men can be leaders much of the time, well, fill your boots. I don't respect outdated systems that don't treat men and women equally regardless of whether or not its first nations. I know not all of them are that way but many are. 

I also don't believe that hereditary systems are fair. I'll give precedence to elected leaders every time. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If you want to support systems where only men can be leaders much of the time, well, fill your boots. I don't respect outdated systems that don't treat men and women equally regardless of whether or not its first nations. I know not all of them are that way but many are. 

I also don't believe that hereditary systems are fair. I'll give precedence to elected leaders every time. 

Its not for you and me to decide.  First nations has heritary leaders.  That is their system. It needs to be respected and honored.  That is part of what reconciliation is all about.  It is not about us passing judgement on their systems of government/leadership / decision making processes.....

For our CDN  governments unwillingness to work with BC heritary indigenous  leaders.... well that is just really disrespectul and poorly thoughtout  strategy. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

3 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Its not for you and me to decide.  First nations has heritary leaders.  That is their system. It needs to be respected and honored.  That is part of what reconciliation is all about.  It is not about us passing judgement on their systems of government/leadership / decision making processes.....

For our CDN  governments unwillingness to work with BC heritary indigenous  leaders.... well that is just really disrespectul and poorly thoughtout  strategy. 

of course its up to us, sometimes. We have to decide what we're going to do together, and you're never going to get 100% consensus. So someones you need to go with a majority opinion. I'll go with elected representatives every time, as you know that at least members had a say. 

• Upvote 1